News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Re: Starting Fri., 3/19/10 - GTK Joe Bausch
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 01:28:46 PM »

Joe,

Education experience?

What is trinitrotolulene?

Are you tenered?

Best club in your bag?

Did all that vitamin C help Linus Pauling?

You're a great guy....Anthony

Joe Bausch

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 01:40:27 PM »
Are you from Philly originally?

Who makes the best cheesesteaks?

I'm not from Philly originally.  Born in St. Louis, then lived in Evansville, IN most of my childhood with a stop near Detroit.  College in Evansville, then Los Angeles, then here in Philly in 1991.

I know who makes some of the worst cheesesteaks, and those tend to be some of the 'famous' places.  Lots of corner bars/restaurants all around Philly make good ones.  Where I live, I really like Garrett Hill Pizza.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Joe Bausch

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 02:09:26 PM »

Joe,

Education experience?

What is trinitrotolulene?

Are you tenered?

Best club in your bag?

Did all that vitamin C help Linus Pauling?

You're a great guy....Anthony

Education:  B.S. CHM '85 Evansville, Ph.D. Chemistry (1990) Southern Cal; Post-doctoral associate (91-93) UPenn.

Trinitrotoluene is specifically 2,4,6-trinitrotoluene.  The chemical structure is below:

Yes, I am tenured.

One of my colleagues, when queried by an outsider if being a university professor is hard, quips:  "Well, there is no heavy lifting involved!".  Great line.

Best club in my bag:  maybe the foot mashie these days.   ;D  Probably my best club is my sand wedge from a green side bunker.  I don't think many people would offer up that as their best club, but I'm usually pretty good from those spots.  And curiously, I use an old Cleveland 588 with 57° loft I think 10° bounce.

Linus Pauling lived to be 93 years old.  And he won two Nobel Prizes (one in chemistry, the other the peace prize).  Maybe he was on to something with that Vitamin C regimen!

John Foley

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 02:19:26 PM »
Joe love the forensic work you do.

What course beyond the Philly area would you most likely to work on?

Do you think the USGA architecture archive is a disapointment to date and how would you fix it?

Is Scotty Reynold over-rated?
Integrity in the moment of choice

Joe Bausch

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 02:35:49 PM »
Joe love the forensic work you do.

What course beyond the Philly area would you most likely to work on?

Probably Bethpage.  I think the two camps are rather entrenched on this one (Whitten and Phil Young), and I pretty sure my friend Phil is on the correct side of the debate.  But it would be fun to see if more info could be unearthed to put this one to bed, so to speak.

Do you think the USGA architecture archive is a disapointment to date and how would you fix it?

I don't think the USGA Architecture Archive is a disappointment.  It is a work in progress and will get better with time.  I must also point out that I'm on one of their subcommittees.

Is Scotty Reynold over-rated?

I don't think he is overrated.  He's just been a darn good college basketball player.  I don't care if he doesn't project to the professional game.

Eric Smith

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 03:06:58 PM »
Joe,

Your lense has some pretty high mileage on it and I for one always appreciate your efforts in presenting quality photo essays.  I definitely have a favorite one.

Do you have a favorite photo tour? (of yours)  (of someone else?)

Have you ever submitted any of your golf photos for publication?

Did you keep a divot as a momento from your final play at Beechtree NLE? 

Does Mike Cirba talk as eloquently as he writes?  He has to be the most 'man of the people' guy on the site, no?  Does he have a future in Pennsylvania politics?

My oldest daughter is in the first grade and wants to be a scientist! What advice can you give me to encourage her to remain on this track? 

Did you try to talk your son out of getting in the family business? ;D

Glad you're on here and keep up the good work Indy. :)

Eric

Joe Bausch

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 03:35:09 PM »
Your lense has some pretty high mileage on it and I for one always appreciate your efforts in presenting quality photo essays.  I definitely have a favorite one.

Thank you Eric.  Yes, my point-and-shoot Canon has taken about 10,000 pics (I have just over 100 photo albums now).

Hmm,  I wonder if your favorite album is mine too.  :)

Do you have a favorite photo tour? (of yours)

Probably Bedford Springs.  Two falls ago I basically had the course to myself for two rounds, the colors in the trees were still good, the course in very good shape, and I had some good lighting.

Have you ever submitted any of your golf photos for publication?

No, not for real publication, but just about all my photo albums have been submitted and are displayed at Frank Pont's wonderful GolfArchitecturePictures.com web page.

Did you keep a divot as a momento from your final play at Beechtree NLE?

No, but I have many photos of Beechtree.  I think my album there is very nice too, I think taken late in the fall about three years ago. 

Does Mike Cirba talk as eloquently as he writes?  He has to be the most 'man of the people' guy on the site, no?  Does he have a future in Pennsylvania politics?

Do I have to answer those?   :) ;D

Boy, can Mike talk!  Actually, Mike isn't as verbose as you might guess from his writing and his posts here at GCA.  But when he does speak he does so clearly and efficiently.

My oldest daughter is in the first grade and wants to be a scientist! What advice can you give me to encourage her to remain on this track?

That is wonderful Eric.  I'm guessing you have are encouraging her, which is important.  Sometime soon she'll start to hear that math and science are too hard and not fun.  If you are involved in her interests and show enthusiasm, she'll probably be just fine.  And hopefully she will encounter many teachers as she grows older that also have a love for science and can catalyze her interest further.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 04:09:36 PM »
Joe, ditto all the above compliments on your efforts to research and share your findings on GCA and historical information. 

Do you travel to other campus's much for your work?  If so, have you made any side trips to other historical society or university libraries and the like to do a little extra curricular GCA historical research when in other locals? 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 04:40:52 PM »
Joe, ditto all the above compliments on your efforts to research and share your findings on GCA and historical information. 

Do you travel to other campus's much for your work?  If so, have you made any side trips to other historical society or university libraries and the like to do a little extra curricular GCA historical research when in other locals? 

I have visited many historical societies in the Delaware Valley, and utilized a handful of other university libraries (notably Temple, Rutgers-Camden, Widener, Bryn Mawr, and Haverford).

Karl Bernetich

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 09:05:37 PM »

What is your preference ... to play golf then eat Mexican food or eat Mexican food and then play golf ?

Quotes of yours from:
Inniscrone/Deerfield Thread  "perhaps I can further entice some to stay for lunch if playing only the morning round, or even come for lunch before the afternoon round.  My favorite Mexican restaurant, El Sombrero, is right up the road from Inniscrone."

Cobb Creek Thread:  "If you are looking for some real good, authentic grub (and cheap), try La Marqueza Mexican Grille.  It is pretty close to the course in nearby Upper Darby (not far from the Tower Theater)."

A restaurant critic too -- cool.

My real questions involve imidization of oligimers for condensation reaction polyimides.  Good temperature performance -- lousy laminates !

Fantastic day today at Cobbs.  Sorry you could not make it.  Who ever says it's an easy course "bit me."  Out in 35 and SHE "bit me hard" on the inward nine.

Always look forward to your historical finds and photo tours.  Thanks !

Karl

George Pazin

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2010, 12:16:33 PM »
]My oldest daughter is in the first grade and wants to be a scientist! What advice can you give me to encourage her to remain on this track?

That is wonderful Eric.  I'm guessing you have are encouraging her, which is important.  Sometime soon she'll start to hear that math and science are too hard and not fun.  If you are involved in her interests and show enthusiasm, she'll probably be just fine.  And hopefully she will encounter many teachers as she grows older that also have a love for science and can catalyze her interest further.

My own 2 cents: my dad is a physician who spent most of his career in academic medicine - he loves science and medicine more than any person should. :) He was able to develop a strong interest in science in my brother and me through endless quizzing and questioning; not in any hard, Great Santini kind of way, but by asking simple (not easy) questions about what we observed. Having your daughter read Richard Feynman's autobiographical stuff when she gets a little older might help as well. I've also been reading a book entitled In Code by a young Irish female mathematician that you might want to peruse.

Joe, my favorite cheesesteaks were at Abner's at 38th and Chestnut, but last time I was back, they had changed ownership/management and had slipped a little. I try making them at home, and while mine get a little better each time, I still have a long way to go.

Jeff Brauer is on record as saying he would give up playing golf before giving up designing; how do you feel about golf vs. golf research?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Joe Bausch

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2010, 12:51:48 PM »
George, I used to live at 42nd and Pine in WPhilly and Abner's cheesesteaks were good.  Right at the corner of 42nd and Baltimore was Royal Pizza, and that was my steak place for years.

What kind of bread are you using for the ones you make at home?  Do you have a place that makes something similar to the Amaroso rolls that many places in Philly use?  I think the roll is key.  I guess it is like a routing for a golf course.   ;)

No, I could not give up golf before the golf research.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2010, 12:53:51 PM »

What is your preference ... to play golf then eat Mexican food or eat Mexican food and then play golf ?

Strong preference for the former.   ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2010, 01:00:41 PM »
]My oldest daughter is in the first grade and wants to be a scientist! What advice can you give me to encourage her to remain on this track?

My own 2 cents: my dad is a physician who spent most of his career in academic medicine - he loves science and medicine more than any person should. :) He was able to develop a strong interest in science in my brother and me through endless quizzing and questioning; not in any hard, Great Santini kind of way, but by asking simple (not easy) questions about what we observed. Having your daughter read Richard Feynman's autobiographical stuff when she gets a little older might help as well. I've also been reading a book entitled In Code by a young Irish female mathematician that you might want to peruse.

It's very possible, if not likely I guess, that a young person can become interested and involved in the sciences in spite of their parentage.

Our younger daughter is a good example.  While we used to leave town rather than be forced to confront the dreaded science project, our daughter has an MS in molecular biology and recently accepted a position with the USDA as a microbiologist.  Go figure, she is definitely the apple that fell far from the tree!

George Pazin

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2010, 01:05:54 PM »
Go figure, she is definitely the apple that fell far from the tree!

Good genes and good parenting can overcome any phobia! :)

Joe, we do have a locally famous place called Mancini's Bread that would work well, I just never remember to pick some up before my projects, so I have to go with rolls that are definitely not up to snuff.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back