News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Re: The Evangelist of Golf
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2010, 11:03:23 AM »
My wife said "Nooooooooo, not another goddamn golf book!!!".  Poor woman.

they just dont understand us architecture aficionados sometimes, do they Wayne?  i know the feeling...

I used to have a big ole stack of them beside my bed where my then 3 year old would use as a step stool to climb on up!  My wife eventually tired of my heinousness and brought a book shelf in there for me.   

very smart, finding another use for you books...

... and who can argue with helping your own child!   very good ;).....

I'd give anything for her to still need it to climb up...they grow up way too fast don't they Paul?

I didn't even try to explain the brand new copy of Evangelist that arrived yesterday.  "You ordered a second copy because why...?" 

i know what you mean about them growing up too fast..i have three girls, my oldest starts COLLEGE  :o next fall!

and re that 2nd copy, maybe tell the wife you wanted to have one to pass down you your girl...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2010, 11:16:46 AM »

they just dont understand us architecture aficionados sometimes, do they Wayne?  i know the feeling...

I used to have a big ole stack of them beside my bed where my then 3 year old would use as a step stool to climb on up!  My wife eventually tired of my heinousness and brought a book shelf in there for me.   

I'd give anything for her to still need it to climb up...they grow up way too fast don't they Paul?

I didn't even try to explain the brand new copy of Evangelist that arrived yesterday.  "You ordered a second copy because why...?" 

i know what you mean about them growing up too fast..i have three girls, my oldest starts COLLEGE  :o next fall!

and re that 2nd copy, maybe tell the wife you wanted to have one to pass down you your girl...

Paul, mercy on you, I just hope those three aren't in college at the same time like my three kids were for a year.  That was a tough year, no golf trips and no Starbucks!

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2010, 11:21:09 AM »

Grandchildren.  ;)
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

PThomas

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2010, 11:24:45 AM »

Paul, mercy on you, I just hope those three aren't in college at the same time like my three kids were for a year.  That was a tough year, no golf trips and no Starbucks!

thanks Ace..got some spacing, thank goodness...when my oldest Julia is a senior, Lauren will be a freshman...but the gap then closes cause my youngest Anna is only 2 years behind Lauren

and i've already started telling all of them how wonderfully exciting eloping can be! ;)
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Eric Smith

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2010, 11:34:53 AM »

Grandchildren.  ;)

A George Bahto book for the kids /grandkids would be good.  A George Bahto golf course would be the dream. 8)

Eric Smith

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2010, 11:39:20 AM »

thanks Ace..got some spacing, thank goodness...when my oldest Julia is a senior, Lauren will be a freshman...but the gap then closes cause my youngest Anna is only 2 years behind Lauren

and i've already started telling all of them how wonderfully exciting eloping can be! ;)

I may need some pointers from you Paul in a few years.  Let me for now enjoy the sound of both of my little girls telling me they want to go to college at our hometown university (TTU) and still live at home with mommy and daddy! :)

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2010, 10:34:20 PM »
Just got mine. It's awesome. Even my wife who was mad about me buying "another golf book" especially one that costs $60, says that it is a very nice looking book and probably worth the price. So the good news is I didn't get in that much trouble!
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2010, 11:21:16 PM »
It is a great book, a must read.

George Bahto,

What about my theory on # 13, that it was meant to be played as both the 7th and 11th holes at TOC ?

Will they play it that way for the Walker Cup ?

TEPaul,

Is there a new tee on # 18, back by the gate ? ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2010, 11:24:23 PM »
It is a great book, a must read.

George Bahto,

What about my theory on # 13, that it was meant to be played as both the 7th and 11th holes at TOC ?

I still don't get this, there is a lot more to do with the tee shot on #7 than on the second shot.  I'm not sure the 13th at NGLA is even a good Eden hole, the best one of those I've seen recently is #4 at Augusta based on the aerial that's on page 1 here now.

TEPaul

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2010, 12:04:09 AM »
"TEPaul,
Is there a new tee on # 18, back by the gate ?"

Patrick:

I don't know. I've definitely not been there as recently as you have. Is there a new tee on #18 back by the gate? If there is a new tee on #18 back by the gate I think that golf club and its administration is positively and absolutely insane to do that or to listen to an architectural putz like you! You are one of the most corrupting influences on classic architecture and a sublime classic golf course as is possible imaginable.

If I had free reign or rein or rain, I would completely drown your ignorant head and mind in a great big bowl of marinara sauce! 

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2010, 09:20:17 AM »
"TEPaul,
Is there a new tee on # 18, back by the gate ?"

Patrick:

I don't know. I've definitely not been there as recently as you have. Is there a new tee on #18 back by the gate? If there is a new tee on #18 back by the gate I think that golf club and its administration is positively and absolutely insane to do that or to listen to an architectural putz like you! You are one of the most corrupting influences on classic architecture and a sublime classic golf course as is possible imaginable.

You can thank me that the back of # 11 is now putting surface.

And, I still cling to the notion that CBM intended # 13 to play as both # 7 and # 11 at TOC.

All that remains, for the time being, is to restore the "hotel" bunker complex back into play on # 7.

When you consider the genius of the design at NGLA it's really amazing that it was crafted 100 years ago, and remains not only viable, but incredibly challenging and enjoyable a century later.

Sadly, GCGC hasn't restored many features to the 1936 configuration, but, they may be leaning that way

If I had free reign or rein or rain, I would completely drown your ignorant head and mind in a great big bowl of marinara sauce! 

I prefer Bolognese ! ;D

Mac Plumart

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2010, 06:33:43 PM »
This book just arrived in the mail today.  Oh baby, it looks good and has much more content then I thought it was going to have.  I am excited to start reading!!!   :)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

David Royer

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2010, 08:18:54 PM »
Just returned this evening from a trip to Pinehurst and was greeted with my copy.  Looks like an enjoyable weekend of nice weather and a good read. 

Mac Plumart

« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2010, 09:49:49 PM »
I am only partially through the book, but I just wanted to say a few things...

#1--the book is amazing!!  Great work George.

#2--it is cool as heck to be allowed to be a member of this site and interact with you all, given your passion, pedigrees, and accomplishments.  Case in point, George Bahto is on this site, posts frequently, and wrote this masterpiece.  I am honored more than you guys might realize to be here.

Thanks!

TEPaul

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2010, 10:15:15 PM »
Mac:

Actually you (we all) should apparently thank The Armenian (Gib Papazian) too. Quite the writer that man. You may have come onto this site after his heyday on here. Or was it his hayday or Heahday?  ;)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2010, 12:13:19 AM »
 The Evangelist of Golf, has been on my recommended list on Amazon for a year.  I kept waiting for it to come down in price.  I guess that was not going to happen.  I got mine yesterday and have spent a few good hours with it.  It is an exceptionally well researched, easy to read, and extremely informative.  I was also bigger in size than I thought.  Not that that makes any difference.
Thanks for the heads up.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2010, 12:57:49 PM »
I am only partially through the book, but I just wanted to say a few things...

#1--the book is amazing!!  Great work George.

#2--it is cool as heck to be allowed to be a member of this site and interact with you all, given your passion, pedigrees, and accomplishments.  Case in point, George Bahto is on this site, posts frequently, and wrote this masterpiece.  I am honored more than you guys might realize to be here.

Thanks!

Mac,

What's even better is being able to walk around NGLA with George Bahto and TEPaul, viewing and discussing the features and how they affect play.

There's nothing quite like "on site" observation and discussion with well informed individuals, passionate about the game and the field of play upon which it's conducted..(I was referering to me and George ;D)

JC Jones

« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2010, 02:16:30 PM »
Pat,

Walking it with you and George would be amazing.  Walking it with Tom Paul would be nauseating.  You'd have to endure an entire day of him saying that nobody has reading comprehension like he does and how Flynn could have done so much better with the land. ;) ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2010, 05:11:23 PM »
Pat,

Walking it with you and George would be amazing.  Walking it with Tom Paul would be nauseating.  You'd have to endure an entire day of him saying that nobody has reading comprehension like he does and how Flynn could have done so much better with the land. ;) ;D

Not to mention he would just be carrying CB's autobiography with him and disregarding George and Pat the entire time.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Mac Plumart

« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2010, 05:26:21 PM »
Patrick...

I can say one thing for sure and one more with some speculation...

#1--Some of the most enjoyable rounds of my life have been playing with fellow GCA members.  Great company with a like-mindness regarding golf and the golf course.

#2--The round you allude to would be a tremendous treat...even with Tom Paul being included!!   :)

Hopefully, we will find the time to spend some time together on my upcoming trip to your neck of the woods.

TEPaul

« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2010, 07:24:31 AM »
"Pat,
Walking it with you and George would be amazing.  Walking it with Tom Paul would be nauseating.  You'd have to endure an entire day of him saying that nobody has reading comprehension like he does and how Flynn could have done so much better with the land.  ;) ;D"

JC:

I think you're confusing me with Wayne Morrison.

Mac:

Pat keeps mentioning that walk-around with me and George at NGLA. It might have been the greatest instant education he ever had but it was actually a mere bagatelle in the broad scheme of things if one spends some time on that golf course with me analyzing its golf course architecture and of course with George out there too we have to endure him attempting to channel Charlie and Seth.

The best of times out there, however, were with former super Karl Olsen and then present super Bill Sallinetti and Matt Burrows who is now at Winged Foot. And of all those times the best of them was spending a few hours out there with them beginning at dawn in my pajamas! There is absolutely no better time and atmosphere to study and appreciate the nuances of golf course architecture than in the low morning light with putter in hand in one's pajamas with the guys who maintain that place every day! ;)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 07:29:04 AM by TEPaul »

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2010, 08:00:15 AM »
Mac,

What's even better is being able to walk around NGLA with George Bahto and TEPaul, viewing and discussing the features and how they affect play.

There's nothing quite like "on site" observation and discussion with well informed individuals, passionate about the game and the field of play upon which it's conducted..(I was referering to me and George ;D)[/b][/size][/color]

Patrick,

I think we all really got a lot out of your hole by hole descriptions of NGLA that you started back in February 09. Where did we leave off with that? I'm sure its a lot of work to do those but they are some of the best threads on GCA. And I still say you can make them even better if you add more personal accounts of your own experiences playing those holes.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2010, 11:37:56 AM »
Bradley,

If someone will retrieve the thread, I'll continue on the journey.

TEPaul

« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2010, 12:18:20 PM »
Bradley:

The reason Patrick stopped that thread when he did is because he needs me go up there on the course with him and explain those kinds of things to him before he can put them on here. Pat Mucci cannot take a journey like that on his own. If he tried he'd probably end up lost in Quogue!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 12:20:39 PM by TEPaul »

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2010, 12:54:23 PM »
I have read the Evangelist of Golf, and have a question that may be better suited for the North Shore thread, but here it goes. In the book, Norht Shore is listed as a course that Raynor worked on, and a hole at North Shore is listed as the best example of one of the template holes. My book was from 2002. Mr. Bahto says that someone told him to come check out North Shore, as it seems "one of his guys" may have designed the course. My question is, when did all this happen?  Specifically, was there a time after the publishing of the book that Mr. Bahto changed his mind as to who designed the course and then changed back? I am sorry if this has been covered to death, but I do not know the answer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back