News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: London Area Courses...Prestwick? FULL RECAP AND REVIEW
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2010, 09:08:09 AM »
I just can't believe your unkind words about Glasgow... Truly a great city and culturally second only to London in the UK...

(sounds like a great day though!)

Scott Warren

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2010, 09:18:24 AM »
The line about Glasgow made me laugh out loud!

Fellas - thetrainline.com is refusing to sell me tickets from London > Leuchars "sorry, no tickets are available". Is it not as easy as you claim, or does that website just know I really should go to work instead?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2010, 09:52:06 AM »
Scott,

I had similar problems with thetrainline.com but got there in the end.  It does look as if you now need to change at Edinburgh Waverley.  I have to say the sleep looks the way to go, I think it may even be cheaper.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jud_T

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2010, 11:21:48 AM »
JNC,

Great effort! One of my all-time favorites.  And I agree that the low-key welcoming aspect of the club should be emulated elsewhere....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Chuck Brown

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2010, 11:31:55 AM »
I wish I had seen this thread earlier, so that I could have said, "It's an excellent idea!  Go for it!"  There is nothing in the world of golf quite like Prestwick.  With the other courses of the Ayrshire coast within sight, you'd have needed to drug me to get me back on the train home.

For some reason, the opening tee shot on Number One at Prestwick will forever stick in my mind as a nightmare; perhaps because my first ball sailed into eternity my first time playing it.  It is a ball that will never, ever be found.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2010, 12:14:57 PM »
I wish I had seen this thread earlier, so that I could have said, "It's an excellent idea!  Go for it!"  There is nothing in the world of golf quite like Prestwick.  With the other courses of the Ayrshire coast within sight, you'd have needed to drug me to get me back on the train home.

For some reason, the opening tee shot on Number One at Prestwick will forever stick in my mind as a nightmare; perhaps because my first ball sailed into eternity my first time playing it.  It is a ball that will never, ever be found.

That first tee shot is indeed scary from a technical golfing standpoint.  The out of bounds just so close.  I think such a hole would be considered unfair and unreasonable many places.  Yet the shot is totally unique and very memorable.  It feels as if you are playing golf in the side yard of a house, not at one of the world's great courses.  I loved every inch of it.  I think my ricochet to start the day made it all the more legendary.

I could not believe how many courses there were along the rail line.  One course, The Irvine Golf Club, looked very cool.  Does anybody know anything about this place?

I do not yet have a railcard.  I think it is something I need to look into for future trips.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Niall C

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2010, 01:46:58 PM »
Jon

The Irvine Golf Club is known locally as Bogside and has been used as an Open Qualifier as have Glasgow Gailes, Western and Barassie (Kilmarnock). Its known for its small greens and a few of the holes are an awkward distance and require an iron off the tee followed by a pitch which leaves some folk feeling underwhelmed although I believe there are still a lot of good holes on the course (haven't played it since I was junior so the memory is a bit hazy).

BTW, as Ally says you're giving Glasgow a bum rap although I have to admit it is an industrial city and the main rail routes in and out reflect that but don't doubt that are a lot of nice parts which you would enjoy.

Glad you enjoyed the trip.

Niall

John Blain

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2010, 02:40:57 PM »
JNC_Lyon,

Are the professors at Colgate aware of how much golf you are playing?

Have you played any courses yet that have pine trees planted in clumps? :)

-John

Brent Hutto

« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2010, 02:54:44 PM »
Looking at trains to Leuchars, I suspect the best way to do St Andrews would be to get the sleeper to Edinburgh the night before then an early train from Edinburgh to Leuchars.  The sleeper (from Euston) is relatively cheap if booked in advance and I used it to get to Edinburgh for a game the day after BUDA last year, so can vouch that it is (reasonably) civilised.

That's a fair assessment. Two summers ago Mike Whitaker and I shared a double on the Caledonian Sleeper from Euston to Inverness. We managed to snag the very cheapest fare well in advance by monitoring the proper web site and pouncing the moment the low fares were posted. Something like 30-odd pounds total for the double. I managed to sleep fairly soundly from about 11pm-4.30am then watch the day begin from the window in the lounge car for the remaining couple of hours. Of course we had spent the night before on an overnight transatlantic flight so I probably could have slept for five hours 'most anywhere at that point. I believe Mike had crashed for a few hours the afternoon before and may not have slept much on the train.

Still quite a deal, it moves you half the length of the UK and gives you place to spend a night all for peanuts if you pounce on a bargain fare.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2010, 02:56:32 PM »
JNC,

Epic stuff, and thanks so much for sharing!  I have very fond memories of my one (and only) trip around the Prestwick links back on my pilgrimage in 1998.  Loved the course to death...especially my tee shot off the clubhouse window on 18.  ::)

Hope you get the chance for more of these kinds of trips.  As others have said, they are memories for a lifetime.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Chuck Brown

« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2010, 04:53:36 PM »

That first tee shot is indeed scary from a technical golfing standpoint.  The out of bounds just so close.  I think such a hole would be considered unfair and unreasonable many places.  Yet the shot is totally unique and very memorable.  It feels as if you are playing golf in the side yard of a house, not at one of the world's great courses.  I loved every inch of it.  I think my ricochet to start the day made it all the more legendary.

I could not believe how many courses there were along the rail line.  One course, The Irvine Golf Club, looked very cool.  Does anybody know anything about this place?

I do not yet have a railcard.  I think it is something I need to look into for future trips.

I just have to ask; what club did you hit for your tee shot on 1?  I'd be tempted to hit a seven-iron -- something, anything, to find a patch of fairway...  but then I'd have no idea what to do after that.  Your description is apt; the First feels like you are playing golf across some sub-urban landscape, across a rail yard where you were not supposed to play as a kid, and not on a golf course.  I remember the relief I felt to get on the tee at Number 2 , and head off to the sunny dunesland where the rest of the course was.  It was like getting out of jail.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2010, 05:26:09 PM »

I just have to ask; what club did you hit for your tee shot on 1?  I'd be tempted to hit a seven-iron -- something, anything, to find a patch of fairway...  but then I'd have no idea what to do after that.  Your description is apt; the First feels like you are playing golf across some sub-urban landscape, across a rail yard where you were not supposed to play as a kid, and not on a golf course.  I remember the relief I felt to get on the tee at Number 2 , and head off to the sunny dunesland where the rest of the course was.  It was like getting out of jail.

That's exactly the feeling!  It's like when you were playing backyard baseball and felt like you could go to jail for life for hitting a ball over the neighbor's fence.

I hit a 2-hybrid off the tee.  It is a pretty comfortable club for the first swing of the day.  I agree that a middle iron might be the play there on a firm and fast day.  I think that it might be the shortest 350 yards in golf.  I would love nothing more than to rip a hard draw with the driver off that tee.  It would start over the train tracks and draw back just inside the boundary line.  Landing perfectly, the ball would bound past the centerline bunker and chase down in front of the green.  Only a dream, I suspect, but could you imagine a greater thrill?

I love the suggestions for wild golf trips around the UK.  The train travel makes anything possible here that would not be possible in the states.  Yet this one huge trip just about did it for me.  I think I am ready to settle down and see the courses of Southern England for the rest of the semester.  I have another Scotland trip planned for May (much less extreme travel is involved) where I will see more of the fine Scottish links.  That being said, I am never adverse to golfing adventures, so I will remember them for future trips.

John,

My golf is sort of like corruption in the New York State legislature: people know that it goes on, but they don't realize the full extent of it  and are powerless to stop it.

No pine trees in clumps over here.  Instead they have this stuff called "native grasses" and "heather."  Really strange.  It makes you wonder if the Brits know anything about golf courses. What good is it when you can drive it two yards off the fairway and have a swing.  ;D ::)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2010, 05:29:08 PM »
Railcard £26 and save a third.

Having travelled across Australia by train and several times across France it is possible to sleep on the sleeper.

I remember standing on the third tee at Prestwick and not having a clue where to hit it.
Cave Nil Vino

JNC Lyon

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2010, 05:32:30 PM »
Railcard £26 and save a third.
I'm getting one on Friday.  There are all these great deals that I am not discovering until halfway through the semester. ;)

Having travelled across Australia by train and several times across France it is possible to sleep on the sleeper.

I remember standing on the third tee at Prestwick and not having a clue where to hit it.
I felt the same way.  There's the Cardinal, which you see, and Cardinal, Jr. (?), which you don't.  The hole requires you to rip two 3-woods and hope for the best.  The third shot is where the hole turns magical.

Scott Warren

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2010, 05:36:22 PM »
Sleeper trains are sensational, so far I have used them from St Petersburg > Moscow (terrorists blew it up two weeks later!) and Cairo > Luxor. They are a fun way to travel, not to mention save some cash by combining lodgings and transport!

Tim Nugent

« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2010, 05:58:30 PM »
If #1 at Prestwick unnerved you, try this on for size.
Prestwick was our 1st course, only my clubs didn't make the flight.  Also, hadn't played in 6 months.  I had do cobble together some clubs from other guys in our group as each player needs his "own" set (bought a little canvas Sunday bag for 40 quid)  For most, borrowed clubs wouldn't be a big deal but I'm 6'6" and my clubs are 2" over, 2 upright.  Now with all that, the guy before hits your shot - right across the tracks, off a house.  So, what to do?  My choice was to punch a low 3-iron (knowing it would draw) that barely made it to the fairway but rolled out nicely to just short of the left rough.  One of those really lucky shots that make others think you know what you're doing, when inside, you know otherwise.
Coasting is a downhill process

John Cornish

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2010, 12:34:43 AM »

I guess I am not as motivated to see Carnoustie.  Though the course did not treat my game well today, I know that I would be traveling a few hundred miles to get my ass kicked if I went to Carnasty.  Either trip beats wasting money club cover charges in London, though.

John, I think you're doing Carnoustie a great disservice. Carnoustie has the 'Carnasty' reputation following the 1999 Open Championship yet the condition of the course (let's say 'rough') is nothing like that outside Open conditions. The course is probably left off peoples bucket list because of the bad rap it got from some whinging Pro's in '99  ::), and I, for one, say more fool those who avoid it.

People often talk glowingly of the last three holes on the Championship course, but in my view, 13 - 18 are as good a collection of continuous holes as you will find in the UK. Please don't let an 11 year old whinge-fest cloud your judgement.

As for the journey, here's my view. Take the sleeper to Edinburgh (as mentioned by others) on a Friday night then take the first train to Leuchars on Saturday morning. Take a bus or taxi to St Andrews and try for a spot on the Old. PM me if you have trouble here – I MAY be able to help if you give me some notice. There's a great B&B for 30 quid about 200 metres from the 1st tee. It's by far, the cheapest place in town and a semi-hidden secret. After golf, there’s tonnes of time for a round on the New or Jubilee courses (not the Castle joke  :(), or just wander around town enjoying the sights, and possibly the Golf museum. Remember, the Old will close 6 weeks or so before the Open so check with the St Andrews Links Trust.

On Sunday, take the bus to Dundee and the train to Carnousite Golf Street where it is a short walk to the course.

In the evening, check the trains south as there may be one that stops in Carnoustie (town centre, not Golf Street) where you will have an uninterrupted trip to London and can write about your adventure ready to post to your GCA buddies here.

And finally, it would be a mistake leaving London without finding your way on to the Old and New courses at Sunningdale, and that is a very do-able double in one day from London. Train from Waterloo to Sunniingdale.) If you can find a member to help with the green fee, even better.

Good luck!

Jud_T

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2010, 02:06:48 PM »

I guess I am not as motivated to see Carnoustie.  Though the course did not treat my game well today, I know that I would be traveling a few hundred miles to get my ass kicked if I went to Carnasty.  Either trip beats wasting money club cover charges in London, though.

John, I think you're doing Carnoustie a great disservice. Carnoustie has the 'Carnasty' reputation following the 1999 Open Championship yet the condition of the course (let's say 'rough') is nothing like that outside Open conditions. The course is probably left off peoples bucket list because of the bad rap it got from some whinging Pro's in '99  ::), and I, for one, say more fool those who avoid it.

People often talk glowingly of the last three holes on the Championship course, but in my view, 13 - 18 are as good a collection of continuous holes as you will find in the UK. Please don't let an 11 year old whinge-fest cloud your judgement.

As for the journey, here's my view. Take the sleeper to Edinburgh (as mentioned by others) on a Friday night then take the first train to Leuchars on Saturday morning. Take a bus or taxi to St Andrews and try for a spot on the Old. PM me if you have trouble here – I MAY be able to help if you give me some notice. There's a great B&B for 30 quid about 200 metres from the 1st tee. It's by far, the cheapest place in town and a semi-hidden secret. After golf, there’s tonnes of time for a round on the New or Jubilee courses (not the Castle joke  :(), or just wander around town enjoying the sights, and possibly the Golf museum. Remember, the Old will close 6 weeks or so before the Open so check with the St Andrews Links Trust.

On Sunday, take the bus to Dundee and the train to Carnousite Golf Street where it is a short walk to the course.

In the evening, check the trains south as there may be one that stops in Carnoustie (town centre, not Golf Street) where you will have an uninterrupted trip to London and can write about your adventure ready to post to your GCA buddies here.

And finally, it would be a mistake leaving London without finding your way on to the Old and New courses at Sunningdale, and that is a very do-able double in one day from London. Train from Waterloo to Sunniingdale.) If you can find a member to help with the green fee, even better.

Good luck!

All very good suggestions....I second the notion that "Carnasty" is simply a must-play....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

James Boon

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2010, 03:49:53 PM »
JNC,

Thanks for the write up of your day. You and Mr Warren are putting some of us locals to shame, with your efforts to play some of the great courses in this country while you are over here  ;)

I've driven a couple of hours many a time to play golf, but can't say I'm a fan of such windscreen time. However, the idea of doing a similar journey or longer, on a train seems a great idea. Firstly, visiting some of the old classic courses in the same manner as would have taken place when they opened is very appealing. Secondly, you can relax, read a book, have a drink even, while all the other nutters are fighting it out on the roads!

You may well have inspired me to a day out on the train to Formby...

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2010, 05:04:30 PM »
James - Rye used to have it's own connection from Rye Station to the club. The trains linked in with the services to London, famously the trains had 2 carriages - first class for the golfers and third class for the caddies. The golfers would not travel second class and the caddies couldn't afford it!!

At Deal the island where the flagpole is was the place where carriages dropped off the golfers and turned around, the small car park by the first tee where the artisans park was the holding area for carriages awaiting members.

Turnberry and Gleneagles to name a couple were hotels owned by the railway companies back in the old days....history you cannot beat it.
Cave Nil Vino

James Boon

« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2010, 05:14:50 PM »
Mark,

I didn't know that Deal had a railway connection. Thanks for the that.

I've just refrenced Hollinwell in the Tony Muldoon's Sunningdale thread, so I may as well here as well... The land for the Notts GC new course at Hollinwell was discovered when a member working on the railways spotted the land. As the course was being built arrangements were made with the Great Central Railway for there to be a station on the line close to the course and for there to be a convenient service of trains and a fixed reasonable fare between Nottingham Victoria Station and the new station. A telephone line was also to be installed between the signal box and the clubhouse to notify members of approaching trains.

Unfortunatly, the station no longer exists, but the halfway house has been given the name "Hollinwell Halt" in memory of days gone bye.

Cheers,

James

« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 04:55:44 AM by James Boon »
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Simon Holt

« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2010, 09:16:34 PM »
John,

That is some crazy trip!  Very impressed indeed.  May will not be as frantic as that I can promise you- and the East Coast is much better than the West!  Lets just say when your train pulls into Edinburgh Waverley having raced along the East Coast line, past Dunbar and North Berwick Law and stops in the shadow of the castle- Glasgow will be a distant memory.

Looking forward to it.
S
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2010, 09:46:06 PM »
John,

Just brilliant.

Well played!

JNC Lyon

« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2010, 04:07:19 PM »
John,

That is some crazy trip!  Very impressed indeed.  May will not be as frantic as that I can promise you- and the East Coast is much better than the West!  Lets just say when your train pulls into Edinburgh Waverley having raced along the East Coast line, past Dunbar and North Berwick Law and stops in the shadow of the castle- Glasgow will be a distant memory.

Looking forward to it.
S

Good to know.  I going to be making some serious comparisons between Prestwick and NB, so be prepared! ;D

I sort of long for the old days of Britain when every golf course had its own rail station.  It would make my exploits around the continent much easier.  Of course, I would probably end up playing so much golf that I would flunk out of Colgate before semester's end!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2010, 05:48:22 PM »
I travel to Deal by train all the time using a fold up Brompton to get to the club, in the prevailing wind it's 5/6 mins to the club and 8/10 mins back to station. Once in a while I cycle in "deckchair" blazer with clubs slung across my back. It's a 90 min journey each way by train but no breathaylser!
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back