News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Admussen

Course between Charleston and Atlanta
« on: March 14, 2010, 07:15:51 PM »
I  need a course for the last day my trip, I was leaning towards Aiken from all the good comments on here, it will be Masters Sunday and we'll be driving from Charleston to Atlanta, anything that's a must play?

Eric Smith

Re: Course between Charleston and Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 07:18:57 PM »
Ryan,

Keep leaning, just go ahead and fall down on Aiken.  It is a must play. 

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 07:26:07 PM »
I  need a course for the last day my trip, I was leaning towards Aiken from all the good comments on here, it will be Masters Sunday and we'll be driving from Charleston to Atlanta, anything that's a must play?

Well Palmetto will be accessible that week, it's usually not. ($175 Masters week)
Aiken Golf Club ($75-usually $25)
both will be empty masters Sunday afternoon.
Cuscowilla etc, all will have bumped rates that week as well.
I'd either play Palmetto or avoid the area altogether
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 07:48:21 PM »
Ryan,

I believe you said you were planning to play Sunday morning and attend the tournament that afternoon.  If this is correct and you feel the need to play then I would echo Jeff's thought of playing Palmetto or Aiken if you would rather not spend as much money. 

That said, if you have a badge for the whole day on Sunday, I would say you would be better off going to Augusta National as early as you can and spending as much time there as possible.

Mark

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 12:04:20 AM »
Ryan,

I believe you said you were planning to play Sunday morning and attend the tournament that afternoon.  If this is correct and you feel the need to play then I would echo Jeff's thought of playing Palmetto or Aiken if you would rather not spend as much money. 

That said, if you have a badge for the whole day on Sunday, I would say you would be better off going to Augusta National as early as you can and spending as much time there as possible.

Mark

I won't be attending it unfortunately, just meant watching it at the course after we finish our round.

Ben Sims

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 12:20:16 AM »
I'll throw a shout out to my home-state and the Cuscowilla/Longshadow combo just off I-20.  But damn, that Aiken/Palmetto combo is a pretty sweet gig. 

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 12:27:30 AM »
I'll throw a shout out to my home-state and the Cuscowilla/Longshadow combo just off I-20.  But damn, that Aiken/Palmetto combo is a pretty sweet gig. 
I've looked into Longshadow - $90 masters week
Does Cuscowilla have a different public play policy during Masters week, or is it still tuesday-thursday only?

Ben Sims

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 12:29:49 AM »
I've looked into Longshadow - $90 masters week
Does Cuscowilla have a different public play policy during Masters week, or is it still tuesday-thursday only?
???

No idea.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 07:10:18 AM »
I would actually keep driving during the Masters and get in front of a tv. However Cuscowillo is a wonderful course without peer outside Augusta itself in that part of the world. The area double and triples the prices during the Masters and so much corporate entertainment is going on the quality of gol experience is significantly down beacause of pace of play and behavier of the golfers.

BCrosby

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 08:55:10 AM »
The two courses not to miss on your route are Cuscowilla and Palmetto, in that order. Both have special policies during Masters week. If you don't already have tee times, you are probably too late.

It's not a total loss, however. There is tons of fun golf between Charleston and Atlanta. Many of those courses are named above.

Bob

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 06:20:07 PM »
Ended getting a 10am tee time at Aiken for $40 with cart(cheaper on Sunday than the rest of the week), I found it odd they don't allow walking until after 3 during the Masters.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 06:26:30 PM »
I found it odd they don't allow walking until after 3 during the Masters.

Welcome to public golf in South Carolina. There are actually private (non-member-owned) clubs in the Columbia area that never allow walking on weekend mornings, not just during Masters week. Go figure.

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 06:30:03 PM »
Ended getting a 10am tee time at Aiken for $40 with cart(cheaper on Sunday than the rest of the week), I found it odd they don't allow walking until after 3 during the Masters.

Ryan,
That is the the most ridiculously good rate on golf during Masters week in the Augusta/Aiken area I've ever heard of.
Enjoy-it's a nice old golf course.
a few years ago they were getting $100-250 at dogtracks and $350 at The Country Club-the recession has its' advantages
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Greg Tallman

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 06:42:27 PM »
Not sure what type oeration the course is these days but played soe tournament golf at place called Persimmon Hill in Saluda, SC back in the day. Was a pretty fun track as I recall. 

paul cowley

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 08:54:50 PM »
the Patriot course in Lake Greenwood.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

JNC Lyon

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 06:17:17 AM »
I cannot believe more people have not mentioned LONG SHADOW.  It is just a few miles off I-20.  Mike Young design, very cool, tons of quirky and fun holes.  Some of the most challenging green complexes I have seen.  I do not think you could wrong with this one.  The rates do go up to $90 (for golf, range balls and lunch) during Masters Week, but I think the price is still worth it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 06:20:24 AM by JNC_Lyon »
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

jim_lewis

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 08:08:43 AM »
If you are not going to the tournament, I would stay off I-20 through Augusta altogether. Go to Columbia and then head cross country toward Greenwood and play the Patriot as Paul Cowley suggested. If you do drive I-20, watch your speed. Every patrolman is SC and GA are working I-20 that day, it seems.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 11:06:38 AM »
If you are not going to the tournament, I would stay off I-20 through Augusta altogether. Go to Columbia and then head cross country toward Greenwood and play the Patriot as Paul Cowley suggested. If you do drive I-20, watch your speed. Every patrolman is SC and GA are working I-20 that day, it seems.

And if you then get on I-85 near the Georgia line en route to Atlanta, Mike Young's very sturdy Cateechee is right there.  It's a very solid course on a huge property.  They even have on site lodging if I recall correctly.

http://www.cateechee.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=57&Itemid=31

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back