News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Minutiae
« on: March 11, 2010, 08:44:12 PM »
http://www.golfweek.com/news/2010/mar/11/2010-golfweeks-best-classic-courses/

Take a look at the decimal ratings of NGL and Merion as they are written and let me know which should be ranked higher...my guess is that NGL is a 9.19, not a 9.09.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

TEPaul

Re: Minutiae
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 09:43:30 PM »
Ronald:

It might be hard to pin down with any degree of sp...spaa...spahah....specsissis....ah shit...spooee...SPECIFICITY what happened with those numbers and what got misconstrued but whatever the Hell it was I don't think there's much doubt that the Three Ms were to blame----eg Mucci, Moriarty and MacWood. Pretty much any misinformation on NGLA and Merion is their fault as we all know at this point.

John Moore II

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:18:32 PM »
Is it really the end of the world either way? I mean, does one club all of a sudden become incredibly better if its ranked 4th instead of 5th? I think this is why Mr. Doak doesn't break his numbers down into fractions.

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 10:27:08 PM »
"Is it really the end of the world either way?"

Yes, these rankings are the end of the world for these clubs. But there definitely is some sort of poetic justice to it all. I swore on my family's name that I would never repeat this publicly but what the hell, too much time has gone by now------ the year CPC or PB replaced PV at the top of the list, a contigent of the brass of CPC or PB came to play PV and after their round they were over-heard IN THE PARKING LOT to say; "Shit, our place isn't even close to this good."

John Moore II

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 10:35:01 PM »
"Is it really the end of the world either way?"

Yes, these rankings are the end of the world for these clubs. But there definitely is some sort of poetic justice to it all. I swore on my family's name that I would never repeat this publicly but what the hell, too much time has gone by now------ the year CPC or PB replaced PV at the top of the list, a contigent of the brass of CPC or PB came to play PV and after their round they were over-heard IN THE PARKING LOT to say; "Shit, our place isn't even close to this good."

And the point of your story is? Sounds like you're trying to prove these rankings are stupid...

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 12:40:57 AM »
"And the point of your story is? Sounds like you're trying to prove these rankings are stupid..."

Golf and golf architecture is a great big thing and there is plenty of room in it for everyone----eg (The Big World Theory).

John Moore II

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 12:50:02 AM »
"And the point of your story is? Sounds like you're trying to prove these rankings are stupid..."

Golf and golf architecture is a great big thing and there is plenty of room in it for everyone----eg (The Big World Theory).

Well certainly there is room for everyone. But in all truth, do these clubs really go out of their way to appeal to these rankings? Do they really shake in their boots when they fall down a notch? And I mean the old, established clubs. Certainly the new clubs need the rankings to justify the incredible membership dues they charge.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back