News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

The Plantation CC - Fort Myers
« on: March 09, 2010, 01:33:40 PM »
  I just returned from Fort Myers on an with a couple of friends.  We played The Plantation CC, River Hall and Fiddlesticks.  I have discussed River Hall and Fiddlesticks before.  If in the area, I highly recommend that you make the effort to play the Plantation CC which is locate just to the North of the Fort Myers airport.

The course was designed by Hurzdan/Fry and opened in 2007.  It is a very flat site with housing on the front nine and woods/marsh surrounding the back nine.  Unfortunately, it appears unlikely that one would ever walk the course.  Like most courses in the area, long cart rides are a part of the experience.

It played very firm and fast on Paspalum grass (I believe throughout but I am no agronomy expert).  The greens are relatively low in profile but have interesting undulations and options that would take a fair amount of experience to properly decipher.  The fairways are wide but there is no coddling - many slopes take marginal shots towards hazards and there is nothing to stop the ball from running into trouble.

It featured two good short par fours, some interesting par fives and often a fairway bunker placed precisely at the ideal location for a tee ball.   Uniquely - it finishes with a par three.

I found the course much more creative and interesting than many experiences in Florida.  It is definitely worth a visit.

The course is private but accepting very limited outside play (looks like between 1:00 and 2:00) while it builds its membership.  You need to book immediately on the day it takes reservations in order to secure one of the public times.

This map provides the best aerial pictures of the course:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Fort+Myers&state=FL&address=10500+Dartington+Dr&zipcode=33913-8435&country=US&latitude=26.56036&longitude=-81.778029&geocode=ADDRESS

The course website gives little information but there is a bit of info on this site

http://www.golfnow.com/course-directory/florida-golf-courses/fort-myers-golf-courses/plantation

Patrick Hodgdon

Re: The Plantation CC - Fort Myers
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 11:26:08 PM »
Here's a blurb on the Hurdzan/Fry site, which on an unrelated side note might be one of the worst websites I've ever been too, ever.

http://www.hurdzanfry.com/Translation_English/HTML/COURSES/Plantation/COURSE_MASTER.html
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 01:13:20 PM »
Missed this one on my recent visit to Naples area, although I played just up the street at Pelican Preserve.

From the aerial, it looks very watery and tight.  You describe the fairways as wide, but it sure doesn't look like it on the aerial.

How much did it cost?  Was it worth it?  I played Venetian, Pelican Preserve, Old Corkscrew and River Hall and got very decent prices at all of them.  All good value for the money.

Hope you got warmer days than i had.

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 02:21:53 PM »
Missed this one on my recent visit to Naples area, although I played just up the street at Pelican Preserve.

From the aerial, it looks very watery and tight.  You describe the fairways as wide, but it sure doesn't look like it on the aerial.

How much did it cost?  Was it worth it?  I played Venetian, Pelican Preserve, Old Corkscrew and River Hall and got very decent prices at all of them.  All good value for the money.

Hope you got warmer days than i had.

Bryan - the preferred side off the tee is often away from the water which makes it play wider than it appears.  My guess is that the average fairway is at least 40 yards wide and often is more than that. 

It was $100 and I thought a better value than River Hall at half the price.  We got nice weather last weekend which has been very unusual this year.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
Here's a blurb on the Hurdzan/Fry site, which on an unrelated side note might be one of the worst websites I've ever been too, ever.

http://www.hurdzanfry.com/Translation_English/HTML/COURSES/Plantation/COURSE_MASTER.html

PH,

If that "might" be one of the worst websites you've ever been to, you've spent far more time on the net than I have.  My goodness is that bad...

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 05:06:56 PM »

PH,

If that "might" be one of the worst websites you've ever been to, you've spent far more time on the net than I have.  My goodness is that bad...

It doesn't look cheap either

Bob Barriger

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 05:13:55 PM »
Jason, I have played Plantation many times and it is one of the better courses in the Ft. Myers area that is accessible to the public.  The Quarry, down I75 on Immokkalee Rd about 3 miles east of I75 is another Hurdzan/Frye courses on another Centex Homes development which I believe is a little better than Plantation. They hold the Sr. Tour Event the last 2 years as Quarry and is similarly accessible to the public Quarry entrance just past the entrance to Calusa Pines from Immokkalee Rd.

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 05:25:20 PM »
Jason, I have played Plantation many times and it is one of the better courses in the Ft. Myers area that is accessible to the public.  The Quarry, down I75 on Immokkalee Rd about 3 miles east of I75 is another Hurdzan/Frye courses on another Centex Homes development which I believe is a little better than Plantation. They hold the Sr. Tour Event the last 2 years as Quarry and is similarly accessible to the public Quarry entrance just past the entrance to Calusa Pines from Immokkalee Rd.

Thanks for the tip Bob.  I will have to investigate for future trips.  In what way is the Quarry better than Plantation in your view? 

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 05:38:38 PM »
Ben I was trying not to be too harsh. But you are right it's the worst ever. It's unbelievably bad. I have to think whoever put it together has 0 experience in web development. There is almost nothing positive about it. I've caddied for Dana Fry a couple of times down here at Calusa Pines and so I felt compelled to send him an e-mail to let him know.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 06:43:01 PM »
Looking at the map the airport is quite close.  Is it a factor as far as noise?

Jason Topp

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 07:06:13 PM »
Looking at the map the airport is quite close.  Is it a factor as far as noise?

Not on the day I played and I doubt it ever is.  The runway is basically East-West and located south of the course.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 05:33:33 PM »
Thinking of spending a month or so next winter in Florida.  Plantation and the Quarry in Naples have me interested.  Anyone know much about these places beyond what has been posted?  Golf, atmosphere of community, reason why one would be preferable to another, etc.?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back