News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Lost Ball courses
« on: March 09, 2010, 01:01:22 PM »
At which of the Top 100 courses is it easiest to lose a lot of balls?... that "annoyance" (A.MacKenzie) that we could do without...

Sean Leary

Re: Lost Ball courses
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 01:05:38 PM »
Royal Portrush, Prairie Dunes and Kiawah Ocean come to mind of the ones I have played..

Thomas McQuillan

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 01:07:58 PM »
TPC Sawgrass if you count hitting it in a water hazard as losing it.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 01:24:18 PM »

From a  monetary standpoint water is just as bad as any other way to lose a ball.

I think courses should lose rating points if the architecture presents a high incidence of lost ball hazards/opportunities.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 01:30:56 PM »
Victoria National

Thomas McQuillan

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 01:32:36 PM »

From a  monetary standpoint water is just as bad as any other way to lose a ball.

I think courses should lose rating points if the architecture presents a high incidence of lost ball hazards/opportunities.

They don't force you to lose a ball or hit it into the water. Usually, the closer you hit to trouble, the bigger the reward. They should be awarded extra points if there is a decent amount of strategy involved.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 01:33:23 PM »
Victoria National

Three sleeves.

Anthony

jonathan_becker

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 01:36:04 PM »
There are spots at Whistling Straits where you could hurt yourself searching for balls.  Some of those slopes are not to be traversed.

Jeff Martz

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 01:36:35 PM »
I spent a bit of time looking in the long stuff at Crystal Downs.  (Hmm... an Alister MacKenzie course)
"To design courses that can be enjoyed even when you're playing badly, and that will stand the test of time, is the art of golf architecture." -- Tom Doak

Anthony Gray

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 01:42:49 PM »

A friend lost 13 at The Honors.

ARG

Brad Tufts

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 01:43:42 PM »
Princeville...and you can't even look for it the stuff is so thick.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 01:45:37 PM »
Idaho Club in Sandpoint, ID

Beautiful golf course, easily one of the most gorgeous I've played...but if you're off the fairway, on most holes its gone!!  And there are forced carries a=plenty as well to gobble them up!!    I've never had more fun shooting ~110.  ;)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 01:50:07 PM »
Muirfield in a warm, damp summer.  Members don't even bother looking for balls hit in the deep rough.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bill Rocco

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 02:02:14 PM »
Sandwich Hollows, a little known course in Massachusetts. The fairways are thin, there is little rough and the woods are not cleaned out.

Scott Warren

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 02:11:02 PM »
St Enodoc
Prince's
Sandwich

Thomas McQuillan

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 02:12:25 PM »
Sandwich Hollows, a little known course in Massachusetts. The fairways are thin, there is little rough and the woods are not cleaned out.

Notice the line saying 'At which of the Top 100 Courses....
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 02:23:33 PM by Thomas McQuillan »

Niall C

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 02:15:02 PM »
Muirfield in a warm, damp summer.  Members don't even bother looking for balls hit in the deep rough.

Mark

I remember when Craighead just opened and the members used to say the same about it. Funny, you don't seem to hear that comment so much now. Has the rough been cut back ?

Niall

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 02:34:48 PM »
One needs a LOT of balls when playing Bethpage Black...  ;D

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 03:29:50 PM »
Princeville...and you can't even look for it the stuff is so thick.

Very true. You'd be as likely to find a dinosaur as your ball in some of that stuff.

Also, pretty much every course in Arizona.  ;D

Jim Tang

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 03:36:14 PM »
Royal County Down, with all the blind shots and long grass.  Still my all time favorite golf course!

Ron Csigo

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 03:43:41 PM »
Carnoustie, with the number of burns, thick gorse and rough as well as the out of bounds fences.  Playing on a day with a stiff wind doesn't help matters either.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 04:04:36 PM »
On the opening day at MPCC's Shore Course, Forrest Fezler, Mike Strantz's number two man,  lost two balls on the first two holes. For some weeks thereafter the rough was so high and  lush that  members were losing four or five balls a round. They stopped watering the rough and eventually lopped most of flora away making for a fair playing condition.

Bob

Mark Pearce

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 04:07:32 PM »

Mark

I remember when Craighead just opened and the members used to say the same about it. Funny, you don't seem to hear that comment so much now. Has the rough been cut back ?

Niall
Niall,

Yes, the rough has been very substantially cut back in the past few years. I know not many are but I'm a big fan of the Craighead.  Mind you, even with the rough cut back the CSS is rarely less than 77 (SSS is 74 at just over 6700 yards) so the course is very tough.  I can't imagine what it was like when it had miserable rough on top of the wind, some of the bunkering and those greens.  Medals must have been an endurance event and the course as little fun as golf can be.  Now, I choose to play it almost, if not more, than Balcomie.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 04:13:55 PM »
The Old Course is not a friend of the banana ball...

Sean Leary

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 04:23:06 PM »
Idaho Club in Sandpoint, ID

Beautiful golf course, easily one of the most gorgeous I've played...but if you're off the fairway, on most holes its gone!!  And there are forced carries a=plenty as well to gobble them up!!    I've never had more fun shooting ~110.  ;)

Top 100 in Idaho, for sure.. ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back