News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

The last of the current competitions, no help to be given so good luck
and the first of the ten is

C.2..1

C.2..2

C.2..3a Two photos of the same hole the (a) Approach and the (b) Green

C.2..3b Green

C.2..4

C.2..5

C.2..6

C.2..7

C.2..8

C.2..9

C.2..10

Melvyn

Mark Pearce

C.2.1 could be Gullane?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Simon Holt

Thats hard!  First one definitely Gullane.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Melvyn Morrow

Gentlemen

Alas that is not the name of the club, need to try again

Melvyn

Eoin Riddell

C.2..3a&b Tain
C.2..4 Royal Dornoch
C.2..6 Strathpeffer

Mark Pearce

Possibly Luffness New, then, for C.2.1?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ross Tuddenham

mark

yeah i am thinking luffness new if it is not gulllane for C.2 ..1, i think a bit of gullane no 3 is in the background.

Simon Holt

Ah Luffness, of course, I think its the 8th (red) and 11th (yellow)???
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Melvyn Morrow

So are we all agreed its Luffness New?

Melvyn

Simon Holt

in fact red flag is the 6th??  Wee par 3 just after you cross the road?

Ross Tuddenham

C.2 ..6 – strathpeffer spa

C.2 ..4 . - Nairn

Tom MacWood

Melvyn
When they are all identified it may be an interesting exercise to identify which were significantly redesigned in the 20th C. I suspect that answer may be enlightening.

Melvyn Morrow

Tom

No it would not because did I not refer to redesign in my comments, just that they were 19th Century courses. Nor have I asked who was the last to modify each course.

Tell me who invented the phone and is it the same today as when it was invented. Who said cordless, there, that’s just a start, yet it is still a phone.

Enjoy yourself, I keep feeling aggression and it’s not good for the old heart whichever side your is on

Melvyn

TEPaul

Melvyn:

This is obviously an identification competition quiz of sorts, and that's cool, but I noticed in the title of this thread you used the description 'scientifically designed.'

Who ever said those courses were "scientifically" designed? Did any of those clubs or their architects' back then ever mention a term or idea like "scientific" (design) or is that just something you decided to throw in now for some reason?

Also, does this particular subject of "scientific" design and 19th century couses have anything to do with why you just said you keep feeling aggression?  ;)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 01:10:23 PM by TEPaul »

Niall C

Melvyn

1 - Luffness New with way in the background Kilspindie and Craigielaw (bonus points please for being a smartarse)

2 - I'm guessing it might be one of the Irish courses

3 - Tain (bloody awful hole, some would call it quirky I would call it crap)

4 - judging by the background it might be one of the St Andrews courses from an odd angle, The New perhaps ?

5 - Machrihanish ?

6 - Strathpeffer

7 - looks a bit like West Kilbride but not sure

8 - Nairn

9 - Muirfield

10 - looks like the par 3 17th on the Craighead course at Crail but thats bearly 20th century never mind 19th century.

How did I do this time ?

Niall

Melvyn Morrow

Tom P

Tom

Are you saying these courses where not scientifically designer as the word was defined at that time, if so could you produce some proof.

As for my comment it would appear that I may have more of an understanding of the way some of the courses were designed and construction back in the 19th Century. Greens were constructed, models as well as drawings made, so I would say that some form of scientific process was in place. There are independent reports of one of the Foulis brother making models for Old Tom which I believe appeared on this site some years ago. This was 20 years before Plasticine was invented.

The approach to the design and build therefore in my humble opinion was undertaken on a scientific basis. I have not been playing or messing about with the definition of scientific, but trying to understand the working methods of these early designers. I have already mentioned the test on worms and why they were used back then. 

Trust that explains my use of the word and more importantly have you any idea as to the names of the courses in the above photos. Certainly C.2..1 course was very carefully designed and which took over a year.

Melvyn 

David_Tepper

As Mr. Riddell has noted, #2 is the 11th hole at Tain (sometimes called Dolly Parton) and #3 is the 14th hole at Royal Dornoch (Foxy).

Mark Pearce

Niall,

Good spot on 9, is it the left front of the 9th green?

As to 10, that left front bunker on 17 on the Craighead is far deeper and scarier and the left side of the green far higher than the right.  I do see the similarity, though.

Melvyn Morrow

Mark

9 is not Muirfield as for your comment on 10, that was put there for you - perhaps have another look ;)

Melvyn

David

Yes you are right.

Niall C

Melvyn

How many have we all collectively managed to get so far ?

Looking at no. 9 again, it looks as though it might be Gullane Law in the background across the water so that might make it Lundin or Leven but haven't played either. Or indeed maybe Eilie ?

Niall

Melvyn Morrow

Niall

The list of correct answers are as follows

C.2..1      Luffness New
C.2..2      ?
C.2..3a                      Tain 11th approach
C.2..3b                      Tain 11th Green
C.2..4      Royal Dornoch 14th
C.2..5      ?
C.2..6      Strathpeffer Spa 7th
C.2..7      West Kilbride
C.2..8      ?
C.2..9      ?
C.2..10      Crail Craighead 17th

I might look West then North East the West again before returning East - hope this helps

Melvyn

Phil McDade

Is there some confusion about the numbering/lettering of the course photos?

-- I assume c.2..3a and c.2..3b are the same hole (photos below the ID tag) -- the Dolly Parton hole at Tain.

-- The photo that follows those two -- c.2..4 -- is Foxy at Dornoch.

My guess is that c.2..2 is Machrihanish, front nine, I think #5.

C.2...6 is Strathpeffer Spa.

Tim Johnson

5 is Cruden bay

Mark Pearce

Melvyn,

My 14 year old son reckons 9 is 2 at Elie.  He also thought 10 was 17 at Craighead!  Is it 13 on Balcomie, with the bench being the one by the 1st tee on Craighead?  That front left bunker doesn't look right, though, perhaps my memory is failing me.......

Melvyn Morrow

The results of the C.2 photo competition

Thanks for entering into the spirit of the game

C.2..1      Luffness New
C.2..2      Machrihanish
C.2..3a             Tain 11th approach
C.2..3b             Tain 11th Green
C.2..4      Royal Dornoch 14th
C.2..5      Cruden Bay
C.2..6      Strathpeffer Spa 7th
C.2..7      West Kilbride
C.2..8      Prestwick
C.2..9      Elie 2nd Green
C.2..10      Crail Craighead 17th

Melvyn

PS Mark congratulations your son is right, tell him well done, seems he looks more at the GCA than his Dad ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back