News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Shefchik

Re: Starting Tues. 3/9/10 - Get To Know Joel Zuckerman
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 06:16:31 PM »
You're right, Joel -- that's a book right there. Wonderful, compelling story. I hope you get to fill it out one day.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Mike Salinetti

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2010, 06:23:42 PM »
Joel, I am enjoying reading about you in this forum, especially since we just made contact. I got your message and I'm looking forward to having you out to Berkshire Hills this summer.
Mike Salinetti
Golf Course Superintendent
Berkshire Hills Country Club
Pittsfield, MA

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 07:33:21 PM »

You talking about old Cassie Strater?

Bill,

I'm not positive you and I are on the same page.

In my silly 2-act play, Cassandra Strater, or as you deemed her, Cassie Strater, is known professionally as Cass, and as a divorce attorney she really goes after men, and thus lives up to her name...Cass Strater!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2010, 08:24:26 PM »

You talking about old Cassie Strater?

Bill,

I'm not positive you and I are on the same page.

In my silly 2-act play, Cassandra Strater, or as you deemed her, Cassie Strater, is known professionally as Cass, and as a divorce attorney she really goes after men, and thus lives up to her name...Cass Strater!

I was just using the familiar nickname her alleged friends call her.  I did indeed get the joke!  Good one.   ;D

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 10:32:45 PM »
Joel -

How many pounds does your putter weigh?

Ha!  Let's just say there's still a bit of truth in advertising...The Heavy Putter is proof positive of that!

Not so heavy though that I couldn't drag it around the other day for 45 holes walking..along with 13 other equally ineffective clubs!

Note to Eric Smith--trying to summon the energy to take part in your little game of 20 Questions  I'll attempt it in the morning!

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2010, 08:59:54 AM »
Joel,

I've enjoyed all of your books and appreciate the entertaining way in which you write. 

The round we shared at your club recently was a hoot and I have to admire the speed at which you play this game - truly incredible.  I guess riding the bike all the time makes you that way, you know get from point A to point B like really fast!  You and Dr. Gray definitely need to hook up - I'm thinking you guys would finish as a two ball in 100-120 minutes easily.  I know you both would enjoy each other too.  He could even just caddy for you. :D

Since you're up in the chair, here's a few questions for you:

1. What triggered your career change? I recall watching one of the videos on your website where you mentioned working in the vending business back in the day but don't recall the how or why of the career change.

2. Do you have a favorite Dye course in the HHI/SAV area?  Would you care to list your favorites down there?

3. Have you ever considered putting together a GCA Pete Dye in the Lowcountry Tour?  I think with what's down there It'd be a helluva good time and with your intimate knowledge of Mr. Dye and the area we'd all be in for a real treat.  I for one would be the first to sign up for such a gathering.  Whattaya say? 

4. Going to the Verizon Heritage next month?  Who is your favorite to win it? 

5. Does your golf game suffer after a ski trip?

6. Will you fish for Tarpon on the Rio Colorado while in Costa Rica?

7. Have you been to Tahiti before? When you go, I highly recommend you try to have dinner one night at Bloody Mary's.  It's on Bora Bora and is both unique and delicious!!

8. Can you recommend a good dentist in your area?

Thanks for participating,

Eric the Red

Eric,

Thanks for the kind words..much appreciated!  Let me answer your questions:

1)  I moved to Savannah from WMass in summer of '97 after selling my vending biz.  I was looking to buy or start another biz, was perusing the classified ads, and saw a 7-word ad that chenged my life:  Wanted:  Golf writer for Hilton Head Newspaper   I hadn't written more than a grocery list for 15 years, but applied nonetheless, got the job, and here we are, 14 years later..longest gig by far I've ever head..

2)  I like Long Cove, Ford Plantation and Dye--Colleton River along with of course Harbour Town.  Hampton Hall and Heron Point are a big step behind.

3)  I wouold be happy to set something up, which would also include TOC up the road in Kiawah, but access at many/most of the privates would be a real hurdle.

4)  Looks like I'll be in San Antonio during the Heritage..no big deal, as I never really do "game stories" anyway.  For the first 25 years the Heritage was only won by Major champs...the last 15 years its been mainly the opposite, so look for a non-Major winner, a good ball striker who can move it ib either direction on those twisting fairways, to have a good shot at the championship.

5)  My game suffers when I come back from a ski trip with crutches, a cane or a knee brace or two...luckily, came away unscathed in 2010, which makes it a successful ski season by my new, nearing-50 parameters!

6)  No tarpon fishing in CR...barely time for golf, with all the other eco-tourism stuff planned.  We are scheduled for a volcano hike, waterfall rappell, zip-line tour, kayaking, sailing, maybe surfing lessons..all while going to 5 different places in 7 nights.  Sounds relaxing, huh?

7)  Never been to Tahiti before..not even close.  (Hawaii is as far west as I've traveled.)  Thanks for the recommendation.

8)  Ha!  Byron Davis DDS may not be the best dentist in Savannah, and he's not the best golfer.  BUT--I would nominate him for best dentist--golfer....he's probably a lock!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back