News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

After a disappointing but not totally discouraging performance at Callaway Gardens, the W&L golf team is looking forward to finally being able to hit golf bals outside (a novel idea!) starting today.  Our next tournament is March 19-21 at Jekyll Island.  The tournament has been held at the Oleander course for the last couple years, but it's switching to the Pine Lakes course this year. I wonder if anyone has played the course a few times and might have some insight on the course.  Pictures would be a bonus if anyone has any.

Thanks!

--Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mike_Young

Re: The golf courses of Jekyll Island, specifically Pine Lakes (pics?)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 02:46:43 PM »
Tim,
I have played the course a few times over the years.  I think it was reworked by Clyde Johnson a few years back and now has an ultra dwarf putting surface(I think).....good golf course and can be difficult in the wind and off the back tees....sometimes the conditions canbe suspect especially the green height of cut....but that's nothing to do with the course.....BUT....if you get a chance go walk the Ocean 9....real treat....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 03:10:01 PM »
Tim,

I have a TON of Jekyll Ispand pics! We go there almost every summer! I will post them later this evening....Since the renovation, Pine Lakes is very fun!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 09:38:02 PM »
Tim,

You should enjoy the Pine Lakes Course at Jekyll Island. I used to be of the opinion that the best 18 hole course there of the three (Oleander, Pine Lakes and Indian Mound) was Oleander. Oleander is Dick Wilson designed course that has serious potential, if they (The Jekyll Island Authority) could come up with a few million for a top notch renovation. Instead, a few years back they chose to renovate the Pine Lakes course. I used to hate how tight that course played, they really made it feel much more open by removing a lot of trees. It can still be tight in spots and it has some nice dog legs....it might even play better than Oleander overall now. A golfer who can work the ball will do well here. This past summer I played it 3 times versus once on Oleander (for good measure I played the Grand Dunes Course about 4 times!)....I would bet that the conditions would be better in the spring rather than in the summer there. Long and accurate drives will serve you well here (playing at sea level sucks), the greens are not overly difficult to putt on, not flat, but nothing crazy undulation-wise. The greens never seem to be all that fast (in fact, rather slow), but I have never played there for a tourney either. As previously stated, maintenance can be suspect, most likely due to budget constraints. I believe they added and re-shaped several bunkers as well, when I played there last summer the sand was of good, fine quality and pretty easy to hit out of....I want to say they stretched it out to close to 7000 yards from the tips. Do you guys play from the tips?

Anyway, it is a very peaceful place to play golf (or even just relax, not much to do on the island) and they are perfect walking courses, which I happen to be partial to....I took my high school golf team down here a few summers back in the late 1990's to play a LOT of golf and hang out at the beach. If you would like MORE pics, just send me your e mail....enjoy...

If you can, play Oleander and the Great Dunes 9 that runs along the ocean. Indian Mound is kinda non-descript, open fairways, and nothing that will jump out at you as memorable, except for maybe a 4 foot gator or two!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 09:46:32 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Chris Flamion

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 11:49:53 PM »
I have played Pine Lakes, Oleander, and the Great Dunes course.  Pine Lakes is definitely more up to date than the Oleander course, however Oleander is still a far better course.  Pine Lakes has some very narrow holes, but I don't remember more than 1 or 2 holes that looked like I needed driver on.  One of my favorite holes on the course was I think 15 that was a left to right dogleg with a right to left mounded fairway, an absolute blast to try and tee off on.  My biggest complaint was that 17 and 18 didn't fit in with the rest of the course. 

As for Great Dunes.....play it, sneak on it whatever you have to do.  The holes towards the middle of the island are, well boring.  However, the first 2 holes, the Par 5 (fifth I think) and the short par 3 with a green the size of a Frisbee(6th) are all absolutely superb holes.  The 6th actually has a "blind" tee shot where you only see about 3/4 of the flag stick, when you get up to the green it is little more than 5-8 paces across.  Yea it is a little silly but totally cool.

Finally, while you are there hit up the bar at the Island Club.  Best Manhattan I have ever had.......if you are of drinking age of course.

Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back