News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

This hole is UGLY! (and bad architecture)
« on: March 03, 2010, 03:14:21 PM »
Lets start a thread of some really ugly golf holes...just for fun.

How about this mess?  On a par-5 on Tour no less.  So either go for it in two, or play way around to the right, laying up.  Everyone was screaming at Rickie Fowler for not going for the green during the 4th round....I also hate the bunkering: one tiny pit, one beach...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cfNB9BdzID0/S4x_86jE0xI/AAAAAAAAHWc/JmxhZFckTDU/s1600-h/15th.jpg

But of course, if some announcer said, "man this hole is ugly" they'd be forced to apologize:)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 03:16:12 PM by Jay Flemma »
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Adam Clayman

Re: This hole is UGLY! (and bad architecture)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 03:28:38 PM »
Ponds in desert landscapes, what more could a ball manufacturer ask for?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Emil Weber

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
Someone posted this pic a while ago.... if thats not the ugliest course in the world.... ???

Carr Harris

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 03:48:33 PM »

Here is a picture that Jonathan Becker and I took at a local Muni last November. The esteemed 11th @ Chippewa...Pretty horrid!!! ;D

Matthew Sander

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 04:00:28 PM »
Someone posted this pic a while ago.... if thats not the ugliest course in the world.... ???

But you forgot to point out the tastefully understated clubhouse ;D

Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 04:02:20 PM »

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 04:07:13 PM by Eric Smith »

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 04:09:29 PM »

How about this mess?  On a par-5 on Tour no less.  So either go for it in two, or play way around to the right, laying up.  Everyone was screaming at Rickie Fowler for not going for the green during the 4th round....I also hate the bunkering: one tiny pit, one beach...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cfNB9BdzID0/S4x_86jE0xI/AAAAAAAAHWc/JmxhZFckTDU/s1600-h/15th.jpg

But of course, if some announcer said, "man this hole is ugly" they'd be forced to apologize:)

I'll agree it's an ugly-looking hole from above. But it's strategically better than it looks based on the weirdness of the area aroudn the green.

I could certainly do without the pot bunker. The steep runoff to the hazard beyond it is far more dramatic.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 04:23:29 PM »

This is from a forgettable Rees Jones track in Orlando called Falcon's Fire. I played this years ago on vacation there on a recommendation from hotel personnel.... we decided not to take any more advice from them.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 04:25:51 PM »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
This was one of the ugliest sites on a golf course...

Mac Plumart

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 04:39:17 PM »

In all seriousness, this one should fit the bill...sorry for the last post...I'm in a good mood and I might have gotten carried away.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 04:53:48 PM »
Well, that's the worst looking hole I ever saw.  I'll bet you get a free bowl of soup with that hole.

The funny part is that (a) second base is a little off kilter and (b) look at those mowing lines around 3rd base compared to 1st!!  ;)

But you've got to admit it is more of a diamond than most diamonds that are square.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

George Freeman

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 04:56:51 PM »

The course is symmetric!  Yikes!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 05:15:18 PM »

So when did this site change subjects? I thought it was about golf not Picasso and his paintings.

Starting to understand this 5-6 hour round you guys have over there, must be hard trying to find the golf course under all this modern art. You are doing well if you do it under 6 hours.

Really what are they meant to be, what is the reasoning behind the design, is it now all about sculpturing the land to the point you forget what you are meant to be designing?

Sorry guys but this reminds me of the child story Emperor's New Clothes everyone seems to think they are great until someone makes a true statement exposing all the crap. Bet it was not cheap either

Yet I suppose the final proof is in the playing, but first you would have to get me to part with good money to even want to consider travelling to these courses.  Ugly, no just verging on the pointless.

Melvyn

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 05:27:33 PM »

The landscape architect in me has to point out that that stupid long formal pond is not even on axis with the stupid formal clubhouse palace.  Could anything in this be any more wrong?
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Matthew Sander

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 05:32:51 PM »

The landscape architect in me has to point out that that stupid long formal pond is not even on axis with the stupid formal clubhouse palace.  Could anything in this be any more wrong?

That jumped out at me as well, surprising with all of the obvious attempts at symmetry...Wait a minute, I think this is Oakmont. Church Pews in the lower left ::)

Tony Weiler

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 05:34:15 PM »

Jay, I made birdie there.  I think it's lovely.   ;)

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 05:37:40 PM »

Tony

Do you mean you met one of Picasso big eyed women or is that the one with three eyes - yes I might be polite and call her a birdie ;)

Melvyn

PS Was that before or after the swim

John Moore II

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 06:12:37 PM »

That jumped out at me as well, surprising with all of the obvious attempts at symmetry...Wait a minute, I think this is Oakmont. Church Pews in the lower left ::)

Well, the center of the pond does line up with the center of the clubhouse, they just don't intersect at 90 degrees. Where is that course? I'd play just to say I did. Kind of like going to see the worlds fattest hog at the fair or something.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 06:21:58 PM »
Mac,
This would be a much better hole if they let you 'run' down the baseline w/the cart.   

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 06:29:44 PM »

The course is symmetric!  Yikes!

Yes George, its GCA on the cheap. Just get nine holes designed and use a mirror to create the second nine in an instant. ;)

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 07:07:58 PM »
DSchmidt- but you look good playing it!

Eric Smith- I bet the marketing literature for the second course in your post mentions how the clubhoues evokes the spirit of Augusta National!

"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 07:14:58 PM »

[/quote]

This must be K'mill River Course #8?

Doug Wright

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 07:24:30 PM »

This must be K'mill River Course #8?
[/quote]

A great hole when the most prominent feature is the cart path...
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Link Walsh

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 08:34:13 PM »

That first picture looks like something off the RTJ Trail- maybe Oxmoor or something? 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back