News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Jacksonville golf suggestions?
« on: March 03, 2010, 12:22:42 PM »
My college buddies are getting together in Jacksonville later this month to watch the NCAA hoops and we need a place to play golf on Saturday. Otherthan the TPC Stadium Course, what would you recommend?

Thanks!

jonathan_becker

Re: Jacksonville golf suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 12:29:21 PM »
Bill,

There's a few suggestions in this thread.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42122.0/

Thad Layton

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 02:03:40 PM »
I lived there for 7 years and would recommend the following:
Sawgrass Country Club is one of my personal favorites in the area- used to host TPC until it moved across the street
Ponte Vedra Inn and Club (Bobby Weed remodel) is a lot of fun- usually quite breezy being so close to Ocean
North Hampton is terrific public course up in Yulee- about 20 minutes north of Downtown Jacksonville- some of the same crew involved at Kingsbarns worked on this one so you will find some similar looks (as much as you could expect finding in FL anyway)
Down South in St. Augustine I like Palencia (Art Hills design) and The King and Bear (only collaboration ever between Palmer&Nicklaus)
Hyde Park in west Jax is also treat although the architect of record seems to be a topic of some debate but it looks like a Ross to me

jim_lewis

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 02:53:07 PM »
Bill:

If you can swing access, I suggest Pablo Creek, a private club between Jax and Ponte Vedra. I think it won best new private a decade or so ago. I was last there just after Duval won the Open. The Claret Jug was sitting on the counter in the pro shop. Fazio.

Jim Lewis
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Bill Brightly

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 06:27:37 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. FYI, they want $375 plus forecddie gratuity to play the Stadium course... No way I can get all my guys to pay that...

Bill Kubly

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 08:05:08 PM »
If you are looking for a good value and very good design, you should try the Golf Club at Fleming Island. The weekend rate is just under $60 and probably includes a cart.   Fleming Island is a Bobby Weed design that has some very unique holes.  Even though it is a housing development  course, the golf course does not come in contact with the housing very often and the back 9 holes is almost core golf.  Bobby Weed did a great job on this golf course which includes a lot of water.  If interested, look at their web-site at www.flemingislandgolf.com or call 904-269-1440.  Landscapes Unlimited owns this course.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 08:45:47 PM »

Bill,

Don't give up on TPC. They do have reduced fees for foursomes. West Virginia played in the Gator Bowl every year it seems and we would play TPC Sawgrass at a resonable price. It is a fun course to play with buddies. You may have played it before, but if you have not it is a must play if you are in the area. Seize the day my friend.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back