News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Looking for a copy of the Chicago Sunday Tribune of March 23 1890.

The following article is from The Scotsman dated the 11th April 1890 titled The Spread of Golf.  I see that the Scotsman newspaper received a copy of an article from Chicago Sunday Tribune of March 23 1890. Has anyone see or have a copy of said article that they can post on here? It looks as if it might be an interesting read.

Thanks

Melvyn
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 06:15:32 PM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Adam Clayman

Melvyn, While I have no access to the research you request, and it was very difficult to read the entire article posted, I consider it highly probable that the source cited in the article was in fact not a Scotsman, but rather a Canadian, C.B. Macdonald.

The timing is concurrent with C.B's attempt to raise awareness of the game (and funds for the inevitable Chicago Golf Club) in and around Chicago.

My source is a book titled something along the lines of "100 years of Chicago Golf". In it the author writes that CB was openly ridiculed during those early days of trying to spread the word. It was not until the Columbian Exposition of 1893 when world travelers came to the city was he able to raise the funds for the first 18 hole course in America. 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Melvyn Morrow

Re: Looking for a copy of the Chicago Sunday Tribune of March 23 1890.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 06:35:17 PM »
Adam

Thanks for that information. I feel it is perhaps even more important to see if we can track down this article and see if any new information is hidden within.

Thanks for your post

Melvyn

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 01:42:33 PM »
Looking for a copy of the Chicago Sunday Tribune of March 23 1890.

The following article is from The Scotsman dated the 11th April 1890 titled The Spread of Golf.  I see that the Scotsman newspaper received a copy of an article from Chicago Sunday Tribune of March 23 1890. Has anyone see or have a copy of said article that they can post on here? It looks as if it might be an interesting read.

Thanks

Melvyn

Hi Melvyn,
    I pulled the article from my file, and the quoted portion in The Scotsman is from the first paragraph and the last four paragraphs. In between, there's an introduction to the game and the writer's story about working as a caddie for a pretty girl at Blackheath, his way of explaining some of the game's nuances. As it was two years before MacDonald laid out the seven-hole course on the Farwell estate and adjoining backyards in Lake Forest, there are no specifics mentioned. Everything "new" was in The Scotsman's pickup. And who H.L., the author, was, I do not know.
    Hope this helps.
Tim Cronin
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Steven_Biehl

"He who creates a cricket ground is at best a good craftsman but the creator of a great hole is an artist.  We golfers can talk, and sometimes do talk considerable nonsense too, about our favourite holes for hours together." - Bernard Darwin, Golf

Steven_Biehl

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 02:11:34 PM »
"He who creates a cricket ground is at best a good craftsman but the creator of a great hole is an artist.  We golfers can talk, and sometimes do talk considerable nonsense too, about our favourite holes for hours together." - Bernard Darwin, Golf

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 02:33:55 PM »
To all

A big and many thanks to all who have helped in obtaining a copy of this article. I will respond later via PM or E-mail.

Again thanks for taking the time to help me in my search, much appreciated

Melvyn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back