News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gareth Williams

Royal Porthcawl - First time visit
« on: March 02, 2010, 01:31:58 PM »
Got an invite to go over the bridge and to play Royal Porthcawl for the first time next week.

Wanted to ask for any pointers for those who played what looks to be a mouth watering course!! Can't wait and hope the good weather holds into next week.

Thanks,
Gareth

mike_malone

Re: Royal Porthcawl - First time visit
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 02:00:52 PM »
 I can't recall enjoying a set of par fours more than here.
AKA Mayday

Paul Nash

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 04:34:50 PM »
Gareth - enjoy. Played it once and loved it. It is a tough, tough beast if the wind is up. I don't remember playing tougher par 4's. Stopping the ball on one of the par 3s on the back 9 surrounded by bunkers and downwind took a bit of head scratching for club selection - to no avail! In my top 10 courses - just a beautiful location with an amazing sense of space all around, views from everywhre.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 04:36:13 PM »
And I thought the par 5s were terrific too.  Love the uphill #4 with the wall all along the left and the cross bunkers to be negotiated.  I thought the strength of Porthcawl was in the cross bunkering.

Come to think of it, the par 3s were pretty good too!  The one Paul mentions is terrific, and #7 is a little jewel at the top end of the course.  Porthcawl is a top of the line golf course.

Buda 2010 kicks off at Porthcawl in just over 6 months.   ;D

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 05:22:46 PM »
Gareth

I think Porthcawl is vastly underrated. The property isn't that expansive and the way the routing traverses across the terrain is great with all the directional changes. The effect of the winds is amazing. One minute you're down breeze the next it's across you next it's into you.

I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 05:26:42 PM »
Gareth:

be sure to play the 1st hole from the two different tee boxes -- the champ box is down below the middle box and the slight angle change makes a difference.

the 2nd and 3rd holes are superbly done and get you into the spirit of the place in fine fashion.

the only real downer for me is the finale. Decent hole no doubt but I was expecting more to seal the deal.

you will enjoy what's there ... gets little real attention when all the UK is calculated into the mix.

Mark_F

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 06:25:11 PM »

the only real downer for me is the finale. Decent hole no doubt but I was expecting more to seal the deal.

Matt,

You are a tough critic.  The last has it all - magnificent view down a tumbling fairway towards the sea, a second over a rough cavern to an away sloping green full of contour. 

Are you sure you don't mean the 17th?

Gareth Williams

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 08:39:57 AM »
Sounds good and really looking forward to it.

Looks a majestic course and the wind (real sea winds!) will obviously play a key part of the experience.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 10:21:02 AM »
Mark:

No, my memory is still intact.

The finale at Porthcawl for me is all-show with little really compelling stuff architecturally. It's not a bad hole -- it's just not what I thought should conclude the round there. In sum -- the closer left me wanting a good bit more than what's delivered.

Like I said previously, there are plenty of fun and exciting holes at Porthcawl -- those who make their way there will not be disappointed in the least.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 01:51:44 PM »
Enjoy it - Tiger hated it!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 04:34:21 PM »

He didn't care much for the 17th either, bogeyed it go one down in his singles match and lost on the 18th.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 11:50:11 PM »
Enjoy for this is a very good course. I am not sure it is as good as its ranking but certainly worth the trip from accross the pond. A number of holes are soso but I do not remember any being bad and a good number bing very good.

Gareth Williams

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 05:16:51 AM »

a 5 on the first is the Tiger score to beat I understand...and to avoid putting off a couple of greens too...

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 05:50:28 AM »
In practice for the Walker Cup, Tiger and a big Scotsman whose name I forget both eagled the 17th, with wedges for their second shots! I was told this by Clive Brown the Walker Cup captain.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 01:10:19 PM »
In practice for the Walker Cup, Tiger and a big Scotsman whose name I forget both eagled the 17th, with wedges for their second shots! I was told this by Clive Brown the Walker Cup captain.

Clive Brown's opposite number, the U.S. captain Downing Gray, is a member of my club in Pensacola.  He was pretty stunned by Tiger's failure to close the deal in several matches at Porthcawl.

I don't understand Matt Ward's disdain for the 18th.  From the way it plays across the first fairway  ;D  to the downhill shot into that green in front of the water, that is a good solid par 4.  My advice:  do not miss your tee shot out to the right!   ::)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 02:55:48 PM »
Nothing is confidential anymore, the club credits J Simpson for a major overhaul. ( I used to belong to a club who credited their design to RA Colt).

http://www.royalporthcawl.com/pages.php/page/78d9cd56-73e9-102c-9079-001ec9b331b2/view_section.html

I think this is his plan anyone know how much it’s changed?

http://www.tomsimpson.org.uk/gallery.htm 

I’ve not seen it so the BUDA trip has me all gyffrous with disgwyliad.
Let's make GCA grate again!

JNC Lyon

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 03:00:50 PM »

The big Scotsman would be Gordon Sherry.  He won the British Amateur and was Britain's answer to Tiger.  He never panned out.

Who cares if Tiger does not like the course?  I mean really...
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Scott Warren

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 03:09:53 PM »

You've seen the women in Wales, Mark... say no more! ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back