News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JLahrman

Boston-area golf recommendations
« on: March 01, 2010, 05:15:07 PM »
Team,

One of my brothers has been in grad school in Boston for the past two years, and with the reduced income hasn't had a chance to play much golf.  Looks like he will be setting up shop in Boston for awhile though, and would like to start playing more.  Any recommendations on good public courses to visit in the area?  He's a decent player, 10ish handicap.  Any help much appreciated!

Jim Sweeney

Re: Boston-area golf recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 05:38:58 PM »
Seems like most of the newer development has been south- especially in Plymouth, but somewhat pricey- Pine Hill, for example. The publicatiojn "Cape Cod Golf" usually lists south shore sourses as well as those on the Cape itself.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Bill Rocco

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 05:48:51 PM »
TPC-Boston, Norton Country Club (semi-private, fairly small fairways, excellent course at reasonable prices), Atlantic Country Club         ( Plymouth, reasonable price), my personal opinion the best bang for your buck (especially if you are going to play a lot is Crosswinds (400 dollars for 10 plays with cart! It is a 27 hole facility. Pine Hills is expensive if you play once or twice but you can get a pretty good deal for a membership after 2 o'clock (play as much as you like after 2).  I believe it is around a 1000 for that deal.

SL_Solow

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 06:30:51 PM »
It has been a long time but he can do worse than the George Wright Muni in Boston.  Has some interest for students of GCA.  Also, Putterham Meadows, the Brookline Muni is a quirky and fun old course.  Both are on the reasonable end of the price scale but not as reasonable as when I was a student in the 70's.

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 06:35:08 PM »
whats the name of the Ross 9 holer near Boston...going to have work done on it as well
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

JLahrman

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 06:44:44 PM »
Thanks for the initial replies...did a search but wasn't able to find a relevant thread (although the term "Boston" comes up with 40 pages of results).

Bang for the buck would be good, my brother will be just starting a new job and will have grad school debt, so I'm sure he'll be considering price.

Sean Leary

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 07:04:19 PM »
whats the name of the Ross 9 holer near Boston...going to have work done on it as well

Whitensville. But is isn't really near Boston and its private.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 07:10:42 PM »
Perhaps Boston Golf Club?  Once you get past the 300k initiation, it's a helluva deal!   ;)

Brad Tufts

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 07:32:44 PM »
Sean's right, Whitinsville is down near Pleasant Valley, where MA, RI, and CT come together.

Boston area publics that are worth seeing are George Wright, Franklin Park (for the history buffs, its only 6000 yds), Waverly Oaks for the forseeable future, Pinehills (Nicklaus over Rees).  The public side is admittedly thin.  Perhaps the top public is Red Tail in Devens, about 80 mins NW of Boston.

Privates would be TCC, Winchester, Salem, Charles River, Dedham, Essex, Myopia, Tedesco (home courses plug!), and a host of others.

Where's he living?  The Plymouth courses are generally pretty nice, but they are a ways from Boston.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

JLahrman

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 07:45:41 PM »
Brad, right now he's in Brighton but that may change once he graduates in a couple of months.

Bill Rocco

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 07:56:51 PM »
I forgot to mention Red Tail, it is a very interesting course....if you play it early in the Spring it is a very good deal

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 08:13:22 PM »
I'm sure they would let you on Whitensville for just a few bucks if you call ahead. It is about 50 min right west near Uxbridge, home of Mungeam Cornish Golf Design.

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 08:27:43 PM »
Stow Acres-25 miles west of Boston. Two courses of which the North has hosted a U.S. Pub Links and qualifying for the Deutsche Bank. Very reasonable rates especially during the week.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 11:54:37 PM »
Stow Acres-25 miles west of Boston. Two courses of which the North has hosted a U.S. Pub Links and qualifying for the Deutsche Bank. Very reasonable rates especially during the week.

But tell him to check the website before going, as they have a Bethpage-like tee time system that requires registration.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

JLahrman

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 12:36:25 AM »
Thanks again all...I'll forward onto my brother, hopefully this can help him get the rust off the clubs.

PCCraig

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 08:21:50 PM »
George Wright is probably the best bet for affordable public golf. Another option is Newton Commonwealth, which has been hacked up over the years for residential lots, but it was designed by Ross and has some interesting green sites...and is right off the B line by Boston College.

All depends on where he lives and if he has a car out there.
H.P.S.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 01:40:52 AM »
What about the course that was sold to become a movie studio before the economy blew up?  Reverting to a golf course now?  (Apologies if already mentioned above.)

Anthony Butler

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 02:08:01 AM »
What about the course that was sold to become a movie studio before the economy blew up?  Reverting to a golf course now?  (Apologies if already mentioned above.)

Shaker Hills in Harvard, MA?
Next!

PCCraig

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 07:35:49 AM »

Shaker Hills in Harvard, MA?

I thought that course was in Plymouth. Last I heard they were having trouble getting the needed funds from the State to build the facility.
H.P.S.

John Foley

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 08:12:23 AM »
Stow Acres, Sharker Hills & Red Tail  NW of Boston are all very good. A little close to the city, Wayland CC is good also.

South Shore you have Pinehills & Waverly Oaks (if it makes it).

If you are adventerous the best of the two are a bit of a drive. Newport National in RI & Crumpin Fox of 91 north of Springfield.
Much more of drive, but IMO, the best in NE.

For some neat architecture experience go play Marion, George Thomas' initial design. Play it late on a summer's night when it's empty & the shadows are long. Then drive out to the end of Butler Pt and get a great look at Kittansett. It's a cool experiance.

Best of luck.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 11:16:06 AM »

Waverly Oaks. The deal crashed and no news about whether it will be saved. The course was supposed to shut down last fall, but now they have rates on their website for summer 2010 ... a very good sign. It is a fantastic course.

PCCraig

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 12:17:21 PM »
I will say that I'm not a big fan of Pinehills (either of the two courses). They cost $$$ considering what you get and it's a cart ride with some golf thrown in IMO.

I am a big fan of downtown Plymouth and their seaside lobster roll shacks...yum!!
H.P.S.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 07:18:44 PM »
Isn't George Wright undergoing renovation? I thought I read that last summer.

Pat Craig- a man after my own heart. Plymouth Rock, the Wax Museum, the Mayflower, and some of the best seafood on the east coast- steamers, broiled scrod, and, of course, lobster caught within five miles of your plate!!
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 07:26:17 PM »

Moe Norman

PCCraig

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 07:54:32 PM »
Isn't George Wright undergoing renovation? I thought I read that last summer.

Pat Craig- a man after my own heart. Plymouth Rock, the Wax Museum, the Mayflower, and some of the best seafood on the east coast- steamers, broiled scrod, and, of course, lobster caught within five miles of your plate!!

Last I heard they were thinking of renovating George Wright. IMO as long as you don't get stuck playing a 6-hour round it's a pretty cool place to play.

I'll never forget going to see THE Plymouth Rock for the first time. Pulling up and seeing this somewhat big stone building right on the coast, getting excited while walking up, looking down..........and seeing something more allong the lines of a pebble than rock:)
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back