News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Sander

New Member Introduction
« on: March 01, 2010, 04:11:05 PM »
Hello to all! My name is Matt Sander and I'm a new member here at GCA. I've been a lurker for a while and I've truly enjoyed the education and the banter. I look forward to participating and learning.

I currently reside with my wife and two children in the western Chicago suburbs (Winfield specifically). I grew up in southeastern Indiana and learned the game at a small town private club by the name of Hillcrest Golf and Country Club. I played and worked there growing up, but at that stage of life I took the game for granted. Golf always fell in line behind baseball and basketball. However, golf was always how my father, brother, and I chose to spend time together and those times planted the seed for my love of the game. I became forever hooked on the game during college and shortly thereafter when time was plentiful. What excited me most was the opportunity to play courses I hadn't seen before and I began having an internal argument (which still persists) regarding what I loved more, the game or the fields on which it is played. 

Having two young children (2 and 4) has seen my rounds dwindle recently, but if anything it has increased my appreciation for the game.  With no warm weather trips planned for the next couple months I am at the mercy of the Chicago winter so I look forward to getting my fix here with y'all. Thanks for your time...

Matt

Jim Colton

Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 04:16:53 PM »
Matt,

From one western suburbanite (Wheaton) to another, welcome to GCA.  Hope our paths will cross soon.

Jim

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 04:32:24 PM »
Hi Matt
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 04:39:06 PM »
Welcome!
H.P.S.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 05:34:24 PM »

Matthew

Welcome and get involved its the only way. Come on in the water here is always warm something to do with not always getting the drainage right – architects, they like to call them selves by that title but all I will say is just watch out for the odd shark. ;)

Melvyn

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 06:33:42 PM »
Matt/Jim,

As you know in the UK it's easy to play 99.9% of the golf courses. What is it like living so close to a great course such as Chicago Golf and not being able to play there unless you have good contacts?

It's an odd concept for us.
Cave Nil Vino

Matthew Sander

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 10:35:35 PM »
Mark,

I do find myself going out of my way sometimes when in the area to make sure I pass Chicago Golf Club. It would be fantastic to be able to see the grounds some time, let alone play. Everything about the CGC, from the history to the simple gently rolling land is everything an exclusive golf club should be; even if it means I'm relegated to just driving by. Interesting enough, there is a 9 hole muni called Downers Grove Golf Course (mentioned here several times) that occupies the land where the original CGC existed. It is a charming little course, and an excellent walk.

Jim,

Thank you for the introduction and I do hope our paths cross some time soon. We actually live in the Wheaton North school district so we're probably not too far away. So many good courses within a stone's throw, we should get out together. The winter is getting to me, I regripped my clubs tonight so as not to be caught off guard when the snow disappears. Although you and I know it will likely be mid April before that has any chance of happening...

Thanks to everyone else who has dropped me a line on the forum or through email...I look forward to getting to know you better and learning from all of you...

Matt

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back