News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

UK pound 7% weaker on $ in 2010
« on: March 01, 2010, 08:04:28 AM »
Does this affect anyones plans? Will Ireland suffer as the euro continues to be expensive?
Cave Nil Vino

jeffwarne

Re: UK pound 7% weaker on $ in 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 08:15:01 AM »
Does this affect anyones plans? Will Ireland suffer as the euro continues to be expensive?

Mark,
Good question.
I did notice the pound at 1.48ish this morning and indeed it did make me think twice about a trip I had informally planned to Ireland and more about a trip to Sandwich or London (which tend to be bit pricey).
On the other hand, perhaps Ireland would be less crowded as a result (although the area and courses I was headed for aren't typically crowded anyway)

many places in Ireland have been forced to lower prices due to the strong Euro (relatively)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 08:46:59 AM »
Aside from a 4-6 week period a little over a year ago, the pound has spent most of the past 5 years well above $1.50. If anyone is thinking of a golf trip to the UK this summer, now is certainly a good time to prepay your green fees and/or convert some dollars to pounds.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=GBPUSD=X&t=5y

Brent Hutto

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 08:56:09 AM »
For my part it's too late to plan a 2010 trip. But it's moot for me...in recent years I've been able to locate slightly lower airfares than what's available at present. At somewhere in the $1,200-$1,400 range (plus usurious add-on fees) the savings due to a lower exchange rate are mostly eaten up to USAirways. But still, it's better than high airfare and a buck sixty-something to the pound!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 09:12:04 AM »
I may travel overseas to the UK and Europe again this year. However, these changes are far to little to correct the incredible imbalance in value of goods and servies relative to the US.

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 09:32:52 AM »
I may travel overseas to the UK and Europe again this year. However, these changes are far to little to correct the incredible imbalance in value of goods and servies relative to the US.

Tiger,
Speaking only of golf, wouldn't you say access(which is unavailable in the US) to all of the courses in the UK/ireland provides great value?
And wouldn't you say the prices themselves are great value?
Compared to say Pinehurst,Pebble,Kiawah?
I'll take Brora, Dornoch, Fortrose(and a bunch of other areas) etc. over Kiawah and its' courses any time-at any price, but comparing prices they're a lot cheaper as well,
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:57:03 AM »
Ireland is really hurting at the moment. The Easter period may give some indication of how bad the situation is, and what to expect in the Summer. Clubs have been lowering their annual as well as green fees.  There may be some good value out there, but don't count on the stubborn Irish (BTW I'm Irish) to lower the prices sufficiently. The logical and pragmatic solutions aren't always the ones chosen.

I just Googled "hotel closures", and it prompted me with "hotel closures in ireland". That says it all !

Dónal.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 07:22:02 PM »
I believe Old Head are doing 2 rounds and overnight accommodation for around the same price as a round of golf a couple of years ago.
Cave Nil Vino

Thomas McQuillan

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 07:28:37 PM »
I just Googled "hotel closures", and it prompted me with "hotel closures in ireland". That says it all !

By any chance do you happen to be in Ireland at this moment in time??

You may be using www.google.ie

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 08:27:34 PM »
For my part it's too late to plan a 2010 trip. But it's moot for me...in recent years I've been able to locate slightly lower airfares than what's available at present. At somewhere in the $1,200-$1,400 range (plus usurious add-on fees) the savings due to a lower exchange rate are mostly eaten up to USAirways. But still, it's better than high airfare and a buck sixty-something to the pound!

Brent - Don't know where you are shopping for airfare, but tickets are readily available for less than $1000 including all taxes and fees. Try Fly.com.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 08:32:17 PM »

Brent - Don't know where you are shopping for airfare, but tickets are readily available for less than $1000 including all taxes and fees. Try Fly.com.

Fly.com = Delta.com for our Buda dates to Gatwick from Pensacola - $1000.  I don't see that changing in my favor so I booked it.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 02:47:07 AM »
Bill,  LHR-Pensacola return with Delta during BUDA is £425/$627 including taxes. LAX with BA/AA is £437/$655. Even at £ = 2$ that's under $1000. How come it's so expensive the other way around?
Cave Nil Vino

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 04:10:38 AM »

By any chance do you happen to be in Ireland at this moment in time??

You may be using www.google.ie

Thomas, I'm in Sweden!! and used google.com

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 04:12:27 AM »
(BTW I'm Irish)

Really?  You don't say...  ;D

Yes, I know it's hard to believe it!

Mark Woodger

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 12:38:49 PM »
Bill,  LHR-Pensacola return with Delta during BUDA is £425/$627 including taxes. LAX with BA/AA is £437/$655. Even at £ = 2$ that's under $1000. How come it's so expensive the other way around?

Because the Airlines can get away with charging it. I looked for flights from JFK to LDN return and they too were more expensive  than the price of LDN to JFK on the same dates.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 12:51:41 PM »
Jeff, I have always thought access had value. Of course the revenue means a great deal to the respective clubs as well. It has been a significant income item to all but the Open rotation courses. I actually think it is to them as well. However a trip to the UK is far more than mere golf. it is rental cars or driver, hotels/b&b's, food and other sites to see. I love the UK and will continue to visit. That does not mean I do not observe how my money is spent and what I get for it. However, even at a reduced exchange rate, I find the cost of apples and apples to be still close to 2 to 1 in value for what you get. It was 2 to 1 and pushing that to higher. This is not including London which obviously is more expensive and not a fair comparison, much like trying to use NY to analygize the US. The golf industry in the UK, particularly places like Turnberry, really pushed the limits during the boom and now has to make a major adjustment in prices IMHO.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 12:53:30 PM »
I was looking at summer trips which were nearly $1,400. The previous trip I made in September was closer to $700-$800 a couple years back. And back then it wasn't an extra hundred bucks or so for the luggage.

paul cowley

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 08:40:45 PM »
(BTW I'm Irish)

Really?  You don't say...  ;D

Yes, I know it's hard to believe it!

Donal....I've always wanted to ask....where you born OCeallaigh or O'Kelly.

Btw, I attended Avoca School in Blackrock, Co Dublin as a youth [Montesorri run by Nuns]...if that tells you anything, but currently claim to be a Yank. ;)
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 08:44:54 PM »
Jeff, I have always thought access had value. Of course the revenue means a great deal to the respective clubs as well. It has been a significant income item to all but the Open rotation courses. I actually think it is to them as well. However a trip to the UK is far more than mere golf. it is rental cars or driver, hotels/b&b's, food and other sites to see. I love the UK and will continue to visit. That does not mean I do not observe how my money is spent and what I get for it. However, even at a reduced exchange rate, I find the cost of apples and apples to be still close to 2 to 1 in value for what you get. It was 2 to 1 and pushing that to higher. This is not including London which obviously is more expensive and not a fair comparison, much like trying to use NY to analygize the US. The golf industry in the UK, particularly places like Turnberry, really pushed the limits during the boom and now has to make a major adjustment in prices IMHO.

Tiger, I well remember our collective horror in 2004 when the visitor fee at Royal Porthcawl was 70 pounds!

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 10:31:49 PM »
For those of us in Canada, or Australia, it is even a better deal as the GBP is at its lowest level in 25 years vs. either of these currencies while it has been a bit cheaper vs. the USD in recent times.

jeffwarne

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 10:32:05 PM »

Tiger,
As a frugal traveler who usually does b &b's or rents cottages (great value) and a professional who rarely pays green fees(but I am traveling with people who are paying), I really haven't felt the pinch in the UK/Ireland. (although I think I did pay 75 pounds at Turnberry). I also enjoy many of the lesser known courses which never seem to be that pricey say 25-50 euros/pounds. Very rarely are caddies available at most of the clubs  without advance set-up so that certainly cuts costs.

Also, living in Eastern Long Island I'm used to things costing a lot. When I return to my hometown in Augusta, I always think there's an error on the check ;D
I see the prices at The Cloister, Kiawah, Pinehurst (haven't and wouldn't stay at these places but have played the courses and I used to wait tables at The Cloister) I do feel there's good value in the UK/Ireland even when the rate was 2:1.

Being able to play Muirfield,Troon, Turnberry, or RSG without mandatory staying at a ridiculous priced resort (access) seems like a better deal than sleeping in a car at Bethpage, The Lodge at Pebble or Kiawah or Pinehurst , or joining Shinnecock. ;D

No doubt you're right about Turnberry but there are so many other great courses/simple b &b's that I've never given it a second thought.

I honestly just don't enjoy the golf(mandatory caddies in white suits) the nonsense,and the eternity spent playing it when traveling to many of the top resorts/clubs here compared to the expense, atmosphere, and pace in UK/Ireland.
But then I live in a pretty good neighborhood ;D  so I don't have a lot of need for domestic golf travel during the summer.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 10:34:29 PM by jeffwarne »

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 10:35:48 PM »
I was looking at summer trips which were nearly $1,400. The previous trip I made in September was closer to $700-$800 a couple years back. And back then it wasn't an extra hundred bucks or so for the luggage.

Brent,
Drive to Atlanta-more competition.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 10:50:16 PM »
Jeff, I agree with all you say but do not think you are comparing apples and apples. Turnberry and Pinehurst are apples and apples. I think Turnbery will be much higher. However Pinehurst, Pebble, Kohler and a few others go after the same markets which did get out of control. I can also say i do not find them to be good values for what you get either. I do not seek out corporate enetertainment golf settings either.  I canonnt remember the last time I played any of the premier Open courses for 75 pounds. I wish and would back off all this. It really does not matter for it is what it is and as long as I am able will continue to play in the UK each year. It seems like some are lowering green fees a bit but Muirfield at 185  and Troon at 165 pounds is still a bit strong.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 10:51:24 PM »
Jeff you are correct in that Long Island is wonderful but not for the frugal traveler. I do love golf there as well.

jeffwarne

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 11:58:17 PM »
Jeff, I agree with all you say but do not think you are comparing apples and apples. Turnberry and Pinehurst are apples and apples. I think Turnbery will be much higher. However Pinehurst, Pebble, Kohler and a few others go after the same markets which did get out of control. I can also say i do not find them to be good values for what you get either. I do not seek out corporate enetertainment golf settings either.  I canonnt remember the last time I played any of the premier Open courses for 75 pounds. I wish and would back off all this. It really does not matter for it is what it is and as long as I am able will continue to play in the UK each year. It seems like some are lowering green fees a bit but Muirfield at 185  and Troon at 165 pounds is still a bit strong.

Tiger,
The 75 was a PGA rate-2005ish.
I was with players who paid 200 pounds at Troon at 2:1 rate. includes lunch and very enjoyable Portland course.
The most I've seen paid but no complaints.
At 165 that's about $250 now US.

I can't think of an Open course here you can play for less unaccompanied and if you back out $80 for the Portland course and $20 for lunch that's $150 to play an Open course. Bethpage is unavailable without major hassle and is still expensive and 6 hours.
Sebonack is $500 + caddie.
All the clubs on the east end are $350 or more unaccompanied + minimum $100 for caddie.

Pebble is $500 PLUS the Lodge. I can't compare Pinehurst to Turnberry as Pinehurst is evidently too subtle for me.-it doesn't really impress me (of course Troon doesn't impress many either)-Those would be good comparisons,except Troon is cheaper and its' private.

The first time I played ballybunion I played retail 4 pounds (before there were euros).
I'm sure what golf doesn't need is another boom. ::) ::)

All of the courses I played on my trip last fall to Machrihanish area were retail 20-60 pounds. (mach Dunes was 79 pounds inc. lodging!)
Ther's plent of inexpensive great golf available in great, welcoming atmospheres if you avoid the Open venues (which are no longer from the yellows than most of the lesser known courses)

Nice problems to have ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back