News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick Wassel

3. Quick Report: Irlands North and North West
« on: March 01, 2010, 07:17:53 AM »
Hallo alltogether,

I became a fan of thes board over the last years and now I would like to give back some experiences I had from "tourist" point of view.
Reports about East Lothian and Northern Scotland are allrady available:
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42627.0/
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42629.0/

If you have any questions, just contact me.

2008: Ireland, Mid April

---Golf:
Around Newcastle (NI) and around  Ramelton (close to Letterkenny, Donegal) and 1 round in Dublin

In Newcastle we played a 3 day trounament, two rather bland courses and RCD
In Donegal we played another 3 day tournament, Rosapenna, Ballylifin, Portsalon, which I can recommend
In general I highly recommend to play tournaments because it ist fun, cheaper and you might even win something...

Highlights (lots of them):
- Royal County Down,
I am not qualified enough to talk about the details of this course. Playing it was a sheer delight. I never ever played a course with 18 holes so subtly demanding. Compare it with the best 6 course menu you ever had and you come close. From a sportive point of few, the best I ever played from the overall experience for me on the same level as Dornoch, cause the Scottish one is a bit wilder and desolated.

-Ardglass,
just a short drive north from RCD, a hidden jewel, Clubhouse pearched to an old ruin, very helpfull pro and staff, enjoyable, memorable holes. After the climb to the first green you get a feeling about the course. Next few holes all run along the shoreline, two new holes at the turn, one thrilling par 5, bushes al the way to the left and the sea to the right, together with the proximity of a nice, peacefull village futher right one of the best holes we played. This is not an championship course but we loved it so much that we played it twice.

- Royal Portrush, Valley,
the second course in this lovely oldl town. We played it on a windy day, millionairs golf, noboday else on the course on a perfect day, sunny, 2-3 club wind. The whole layout is very natural and greens and faiways well kept. Not to many extraordinary holes, but good memories about the hole round. There is no public clubhouse, only a small starters house, where you pay your greenfee. For 30GPB a must play.

- Donegal,
what a majestic even mystic course. You play on a peninsula, small Islands on your right, feels a bit like "lord of the rings". Unuasal lnks to my mind and therefore very intersting. Different to most other links Donegal plays over a very wide terrain, lots of room, wide fairways, only small ondulations. It is not really a spectacular one, but a very fair and challenging test.

- Deer Park, Dublin,
a municipal course north of the city on the peninsula Howth. This was the first course we played, because I remembered it from my childhood, when I once played here. They offere different courses for different levels of players, as it is a municipal one, it has nothing to do with the more exclucive and professional courses you know. Anyway, we played the most expensive one for less then 20GBP on a sunny afternoon. Good parkland layout, great views over Dublin and the Bay, combined with a good mamtainance makes this course a good option in Dublin. Afterwards go down to the harbour and enjoy a nice meal. 

Letdown:
- None

Also played:
Warrenpoint: Nice oldschool parkland layout, a bit short, some thrilling holes

Kirkistown: Further north of RCD, good oldschool Braidl links with some spectacular geens, the trip with the ferry makes it a memorable trip

Banbridge + Edenmore: Not worthwhile (part of the one tournament)

Nariin Portnoo: At the end of the world, great trip to go there, through some of the most beautyfull countryside ever seen. Course was under construction in several places, enjoyable one, not to miss.

Portsalon: Old club with lots of (crisis)-history. Excellent front nine. Hole 2 one of the best. Great scenery around, strongly recommend

Ballyliffin + Rosapenna: We played bothtimes the new layouts. Both demanding, pretty ondulated, good but we did not fell in love with them. Rosapenna slightly preffered.

Castlerock: Good links west of Portrush, liked every minute of it.

Next time (courses we missed):
- Portrush, Portpatrick (money...)
- Cruit Island
- Courses south and West of Donegal

---Accomondation:
Dublin: Comfortable appartment, close to harbour: www.yourhomefromhome.com
Annalong (south of Newcastle, next time better directly in Newcastle): www.shortbreakni.co.uk
Ramelton (north of Letterkenny, lovley village):excellent value, good base: http://www.ramelton.net/Accommodation/GlackinBungalow.php

---Conclusion:
Overall, I recommend the route we took, if you have more time spent another week around Portrush. Irland has changed a lot over the years, golf is more a tourist thing here then it is in Scotland, but still ok. I will come back. 

Upcomming:
- Wales (2009)
- Fife/Angus (several times)
- Conwall/Dorset/Devon (2010)

pat

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: 3. Quick Report: Irlands North and North West
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 07:47:24 AM »
Pat:

I glad your enjoyed yor trip to the NW. Next time, be sure to take in Dunfanaghy (Harry Vardon design) and Otway (a real treat!) in Donegal. The only other course in the S and SW of Donegal is Bundoran (another Vardon design), and to be honest, it's just ok.

I've played all 3 nines at Deer Park and I believe that if it were a private course, there would be great potential for an even better course. It serves a great purpose and it's unusual to find a public course in Ireland that's over 6500 yds. It's a good test indeed.

It's a pity you chose the new over the old at Ballyliffin and Rosapenna. Also agree with you on Warrenpoint, Donegal, Portsalon, and N&P.

Dónal.

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 08:25:56 AM »
Pat:

I glad your enjoyed yor trip to the NW. Next time, be sure to take in Dunfanaghy (Harry Vardon design) and Otway (a real treat!) in Donegal. The only other course in the S and SW of Donegal is Bundoran (another Vardon design), and to be honest, it's just ok.

I've played all 3 nines at Deer Park and I believe that if it were a private course, there would be great potential for an even better course. It serves a great purpose and it's unusual to find a public course in Ireland that's over 6500 yds. It's a good test indeed.

It's a pity you chose the new over the old at Ballyliffin and Rosapenna. Also agree with you on Warrenpoint, Donegal, Portsalon, and N&P.

Dónal.

Patrick, Donal,
Thank for those thoughts.
Donal, Have you got any links to photos of Otway?
I'm trying to squeeze it in to an itinerary strictly in the NW that includes many of the courses you and Patrick mention but I'm having trouble finding a whole lot of information.(I did find 2 rough photos)
Looks like a fantastic day paired with Portsalon, which is one of my favorites.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Patrick Wassel

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 09:09:44 AM »
Donal,

good to hear that our impressions fit. Concerning Dunfanaghy and Otway, both had been on our "Can-List", Dunfanaghy higher then Otway. Two more courses for the next visit.

pat

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 09:22:46 AM »

Donal, Have you got any links to photos of Otway?
I'm trying to squeeze it in to an itinerary strictly in the NW that includes many of the courses you and Patrick mention but I'm having trouble finding a whole lot of information.(I did find 2 rough photos)
Looks like a fantastic day paired with Portsalon, which is one of my favorites.

Jeff:

Unfortunately I don't have any photos. Otway doesn't appear to have a website either. it's located in Rathmullan and used to be called Macamish. It's only a 9 hole course an is a par 64. The reason why I recommend it, is that it's very unusual. It doesn't seem to have changed in 100 years, so it's an opportunity to play a course from the past.

I haven't played Painswick, but from reading about Painswick in Paul Daley's Golf Architecture (Vol. 3), both courses sound very similar. Bernard Darwin thought Otway was a crazy course. Most holes are in the 120-300 yds range and they criss-cross each other. The total area may be less than 50 acres.

Here's the Golfing Union of Ireland entry for it,

http://www.gui.ie/clubs_info.asp?id=384

Dónal.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back