News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Rounds4Research Auction - It's back and bigger than ever!
« on: February 25, 2010, 07:02:53 PM »
From Golf Course Industry Magazine:

Rounds4Research.com, the pioneering online golf auction benefiting turfgrass research, now features rounds in five states. Georgia, Texas and Virginia have signed onto the campaign that originated in North and South Carolina last year.

This year’s auction runs April 7 to April 21.

Foursomes at some of the most prestigious and exclusive private facilities in each state will be up for bid. Regular PGA Tour stops such as Harbour Town Golf Links in SC, Sedgefield Country Club in NC and East Lake Golf Club in GA are among hundreds of courses donating tee-times.

Rounds4Research.com generated $55,000 in new funding for turfgrass research at Clemson and North Carolina State universities in its first year. In all, 260 facilities offered more than 300 tee-times and assorted packages including meals and accommodation.

Auction proceeds from courses in Georgia, Texas and Virginia will be directed to advancing turfgrass research and practices in the respective states.

“Obviously with three new partner states, this year’s auction will be bigger and better in every sense,” says Tim Kreger, executive director of the Carolinas Golf Course Superintendents Association, which runs the auction. “Golfers will find bargains and they will find the keys to a lot of doors that would not otherwise be open to them.”

Industry observers hail Rounds4Research.com for engaging so many aspects of the industry to help generate funding for turfgrass research. As the economy contracted, so did state budgets, which historically provided the lion’s share of resources for turfgrass research.

Rounds4Research.com involves superintendents coordinating the auction, owners and members donating tee-times and golfers buying them. The project also has the backing of the respective state golf associations, PGA Sections and club managers associations.

“We are thrilled that our colleagues from the golf course superintendent organizations in Georgia, Texas and Virginia have seen fit to combine resources this year,” Kreger says. “It’s just one more example of how golf is an industry that is actively working together for solutions. We’re not just wringing our hands and waiting for others to come up with answers.”

In the new partner states, Rounds4Research.com is being piloted by the Georgia Golf Course Superintendents Association, the Lone Star Golf Course Superintendents Association and the Virginia Golf Course Superintendents Association.

Late February, close to 350 courses had donated tee-times, a number that organizers expect to double by the date of the auction launch.

Prospective bidders can go to www.Rounds4Research.com to view an update list of available courses and to register for a reminder email in advance of the auction.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mac Plumart

Re: Rounds4Research Auction - It's back and bigger than ever!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 07:10:44 PM »
Neat stuff!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 07:17:51 PM »
We are going to be doing this in Michigan as well to benefit research at Michigan State University.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 07:28:01 PM »
From a great heads up from a GCA member, I've checked out the MSU turfgrass archives...excellent resource!!

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 07:34:32 PM »
I am using the auction I bought last year this coming Monday.

Great deals!

Ron Csigo

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 07:37:18 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Michael.  There are a lot of nice rounds available.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 10:02:01 PM »
We are going to be doing this in Michigan as well to benefit research at Michigan State University.

Bradley - Be sure to let us know when the Michigan auction is scheduled.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

JC Jones

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 08:51:26 AM »
I'M always up for something that benefits MSU.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 09:24:25 PM »
Does anyone know what the "Mystery Course" was in the GA portion of this auction?

Brett Waters

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 02:16:41 AM »
Does anyone know what the "Mystery Course" was in the GA portion of this auction?

^ I've been very curious about this too, Mac. I guess only the winning bidder knows(?)...

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 10:12:09 AM »
The course was only revealed to the buyer... who was sworn to secrecy! Makes you wonder if it could be...

Eric Smith

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 10:37:44 AM »
The course was only revealed to the buyer... who was sworn to secrecy! Makes you wonder if it could be...

Nob North?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 10:39:46 AM »
Ocean Forest?

JC Jones

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 11:00:17 AM »
Longshadow
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 01:07:33 PM »
How much did the mystery round go for??

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back