News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

Black Knight Country Club - Beckley, WV Any info?
« on: February 24, 2010, 10:16:52 AM »
I will be passing through Beckley, WV on my way  to Sc for a golf trip in Mid April. I thought I would try and squeeze a round in at Black Knight CC, an older, 9 hole course near downtown Beckley, WV.

HDoes anyone here have any experiences with this course? Details? Worth playing???? Can't seem to find too much history on it, other than that it is a 1920-s era 9 hole course. Anyone have any pictures?
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Greg Tallman

Re: Black Knight Country Club - Beckley, WV Any info?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 01:32:48 PM »
I will be passing through Beckley, WV on my way  to Sc for a golf trip in Mid April. I thought I would try and squeeze a round in at Black Knight CC, an older, 9 hole course near downtown Beckley, WV.

HDoes anyone here have any experiences with this course? Details? Worth playing???? Can't seem to find too much history on it, other than that it is a 1920-s era 9 hole course. Anyone have any pictures?

Better of heading  couple of extra miles off the beaten path and laying the Cobb Course at Glade Springs

Doug Ralston

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 10:05:02 PM »
Greg, I found 'The Briar Patch' a hoot, too.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 05:39:38 AM »
Doug, my hotel is near the Brier Patch Links, what was all the "hooting" about ?
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 01:56:36 PM »
I know its a classic Cobb fallen on hard times.  One of my most prominent members' family
grew up at Black Knight.  Transport it from Beckley to a more vibrant, populous city and
its a hell of a place.  WV hell on clubs.

Greg Ross

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 11:33:55 PM »
To add to Roger's post here is the scoop from that member...
Black Knight is a really neat, classic layout.  It was built by a coal company and has served as the old school country club in Beckley since the 20s.  It was quite a place in its heyday.  Well-appointed ballroom and clubhouse, now in some disrepair. It hosted some big pro-ams Sam Snead would play in regularly when he was resident at the Greenbrier.  The members quote him as saying Black Knight was one of the finest 9-hole layouts in the country.  It has two sets of tees.  You play the forward ones for the front and back tees for the second 9.  They don't know who designed it.  But it has always reminded me of the Ross courses I play regularly in North Carolina.  Smallish greens, fairly open.  Lots of shot variety.  My in-laws are second generation members.  Beckley has fallen on hard times, and the club has suffered from poor leadership and competition from Glade Springs for in-town professional members.  But I love it. In the summer, it is well maintained absent drought conditions.  It is private, but given their financial condition, I bet you can get on.
It's all about the fellowship.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back