News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Alternate, GCA version of the top nine-hole courses in America
« on: February 23, 2010, 09:16:58 PM »
So far, the other thread on this subject has produced hardly any suggestions for improving the list.  I love Ron Whitten, but find it hard to believe he has identified all the best ones.  So, who cares to nominate real alternatives?  Is Anthony Pioppi around?

Here are Ron Whitten's Picks:

1.  The Dunes Club, New Buffalo, MI
2. Whitinsville (MA) CC
3. Northwood GC, Monte Rio, CA
4. Aetna Springs GC, Pope Valley, CA
5. Sunnylands, Rancho Mirage, CA
6. Birchwood CC, Westport, CT
7. Signal Point Club, Niles, MI
8. Links at Fisher Island (FL)
9. Starr Hollow GC, Tolar, TX
10. Pocantico Hills GC, Tarrytown, NY
11. Hooper GC, Walpole, NH
12. Wyoming GC, Cincinnati, OH
13. Double Eagle GC, Eagle Bend, MN
14. Falcon Valley GC, Lenexa, KS
15. Pottawatomie, St. Charles, IL
16. Doral Arrowwood GC, Purchase, NY
17. Gleneagles GC at McLaren Park, San Fransisco, CA
18. Sydney R. Marovitz GC, Chicago, IL
19. Woodstock (IL) CC
20. Quaker Hill CC, Pawling, NY
21. Stone Creek GC, Williamsburg, IA
22. Hotchkiss School GC, Lakeville, CT
23. Annapolis (MD) GC
24. Dixie Red Hills GC, St. George, UT
25. Legends Butte GC, Crawford, NE

Bill_McBride

Re: Alternate, GCA version of the top nine-hole courses in America
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 09:22:17 PM »
Tom, did you work on Northwoods?  If not, I can't imagine it's that good to be #3.

I played it in a high school match in the late '50s, Novato (CA) H.S. vs I guess Guerneville or maybe Sebastapol H.S.  I do remember one hole where, for what reason I have no idea, the hole was about 8' in diameter in a punchbowl green.  Needless to say there were more than a few birdies that day on that hole!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 09:26:48 PM »
My old list in the back of The Confidential Guide included only two of Whitten's picks [the top two].

Three of my picks were overseas (Royal Worlington, Reigate Heath, and Musselburgh).  Two more abdicated the throne by expanding from nine holes to 18 -- Rolling Rock Club and Harrison Hills.

But, I did list Wawashkamo GC on Mackinac Island; Phoenixville in the western burbs of Philly; and the Culver Military Academy nine in northern Indiana.

There's also Maxinkuckee CC near Culver, where Alice Dye spent summers growing up, and Urbana CC in Ohio, which Pete Dye's dad built.  I think P.B. Dye may have built an additional nine holes at one or both of them, otherwise, I'd nominate them.

I remember Bruce Hepner telling me about a nine-holer in southern Maine, but I can't think of the name.  And Jim Urbina was once very excited about a place called Mohawk GC in northwest Ohio, but I'm not sure if that was nine or eighteen holes.

Nominations, please.

P.S. to Bill:  No, I don't know that anyone has worked on Northwoods.  I would agree with you that it must be overrated at #3.  It's a cool place but not a great layout.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 09:31:11 PM »
Hotchkins School course?

Carl Nichols

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:36:07 PM »
Bill--
Unless you're thinking about something in Baltimore, Hotchkiss is already on the list.

Does the Olympic Cliffs course count? I'd rather play that 100 out of 100 times over Waveland.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 09:38:06 PM »
Bill--
Unless you're thinking about something in Baltimore, Hotchkiss is already on the list.

Does the Olympic Cliffs course count? I'd rather play that 100 out of 100 times over Waveland.

Ah yes, see it now.  For some crazy reason I thought it was in MA so overlooked it in CT!

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 09:38:52 PM »
Someday someone should write a book about all the small town 9-holers in TX.
I lived in rural west TX and I now live in the middle of nowhere So TX and every small town has a 9-hole course. Most have small push up greens, very few bunkers, and most are cared for by 1 or, in the summer, 2 guys. I don't really have any I'd try to add to Tom's list, but there is a very nice 9 hole course about 50 miles from me in Yoakum, TX.
One thing that makes many of the TX 9 holers good courses is most are built on land too severe for farming, and/or in flood plains along natural creeks making for pretty good golf land.

Pioppi, if you plan on coming down here and doing a little research for your next book, I'd advise taking the hammer and sickle bumper sticker off your car.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 09:43:12 PM »
Don:

You reminded me of a couple of nine-holers in Nebraska.

Pelican Beach, in Hyannis, by Jack Dredla and Dan Proctor, is one.

Can't remember the name of the other right now, but it is a sand-green nine holes a bit north of Grand Island.  I played it with a friend with hickory clubs, an absolute blast.  One of the holes is a par-3 playing into the base of an old grain silo or something ... if you hit a low shot in it clanks off the metal rim.  I remember the name now ... Dannebrog GC or something like that.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 09:55:59 PM »
I lived in rural west TX and I now live in the middle of nowhere So TX and every small town has a 9-hole course. Most have small push up greens, very few bunkers, and most are cared for by 1 or, in the summer, 2 guys. I don't really have any I'd try to add to Tom's list, but there is a very nice 9 hole course about 50 miles from me in Yoakum, TX.
One thing that makes many of the TX 9 holers good courses is most are built on land too severe for farming, and/or in flood plains along natural creeks making for pretty good golf land.

Pioppi, if you plan on coming down here and doing a little research for your next book, I'd advise taking the hammer and sickle bumper sticker off your car.

When I lived in Dallas in the late '70s, one of my pals at work talked about the four ball tournaments he played on some of those sun-baked nine hole courses in west Texas.  He went to Texas Tech in Lubbock so I believe his bizarre tales.  I think the "
Texas wedge was invented out there, in the land of zero irrigation.  I would dearly love to see some of those 9 holers.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 09:58:24 PM »
At least his list has some people talking about nine hole courses, which play quicker, cost less, and as a group I'd say thay are usually more low key and accomodating.  I believe there are around 3,000 nine hole courses in the USA.

Two new ones opened near me recently, Donnybrook GC in Lanesboro, Ma., and Lazy Sawn in Saugerties, NY. The former is laid into the side of a mountain and is quite fun to play. The latter is more of a foothills course that was artfully laid over the dried and bleached bones of something that was truly awful.

We have 11 or so nine hole courses in Litchfield County, Ct. Also in Ma.(western) are Grenock in Lee which is a fun Ross, Blandford GC, Worthington, and Forest Park in Adams which is a real throwback. There are a few more in that section of the state between the Quabbin reservoir and NYS.
A real quirky one in the Catskills is Shepard Hills in Roxbury, built by the Gould family; Rip Van Winkle, a Ross plan in Palenville; Otsego near Cooperstown, and another throwback Colonial CC in Tannersville.

Lots of them around here.   

p.s. I'd bet that over 90% of all league play is 9 holes, whether or not the course is 18.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:11:34 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Ken Fry

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 10:00:37 PM »
Any comments about Ansley Golf Club in downtown Atlanta?

Ken

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 10:06:45 PM »

When I lived in Dallas in the late '70s, one of my pals at work talked about the four ball tournaments he played on some of those sun-baked nine hole courses in west Texas.  He went to Texas Tech in Lubbock so I believe his bizarre tales.  I think the "
Texas wedge was invented out there, in the land of zero irrigation.  I would dearly love to see some of those 9 holers.
Bill,
Here in Tx we have what is called the bar-b-que circuit in the summer. Every little course has one big tourney complete with calcutta, pari-mutuels, horse race, and all sorts of fun. If you could ever come down and spend a month on the circuit, you'll have the time of your life...as long as you have strong partners. The beer is cold, sun is hot, and they can play. Bring your A game and a "good" handicap.

Greg Ross

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 10:11:40 PM »
What about the 9-holer on Jekyll Island? Granted, it doesn't have a big clubhouse or operation, but talk about carved from the Earth with the Earth. I can't believe much has changed there since Walter Travis built it for Mr. Rockefeller & his buds in 1926.
It's all about the fellowship.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
In the New England category:

Wawenock on one the fingers of the Maine coast near Damariscotta...Wayne Stiles.  http://www.wawenockgolfclub.com/

Castine in the town of the same name in Maine...roots in the 19th century...my only honor box round in the US. http://www.castinegolfclub.com/

J.P. Larkin in Vermont...maybe not a top 25 US, but it has about 6 VERY cool holes...the course plays on three distinct levels...they even have a UK-style railroad hole.  There is also a downhill short par 3 that is deliciously awkward from the tee.

A sentimental vote for my original home course, Salem Municipal.  Maybe not the greatest conditions, but I think it's very underrated.  Rocky, undulating, nary a flat lie to be found, and it even has a pedigree....Stiles design from 1933 or so.

Lots of great classic New England nines were also made mediocre by shaky additions by modern architects...Biddeford-Saco and  Brattleboro (I think) come to mind.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Carl Nichols

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 10:14:35 PM »
Jim-
Isn't Red Hook (in Dutchess County) a nine-holer?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 10:14:52 PM »

Bill,
Here in Tx we have what is called the bar-b-que circuit in the summer. Every little course has one big tourney complete with calcutta, pari-mutuels, horse race, and all sorts of fun. If you could ever come down and spend a month on the circuit, you'll have the time of your life...as long as you have strong partners. The beer is cold, sun is hot, and they can play. Bring your A game and a "good" handicap.

I am jonesing.   ;D  Our soft course pals would go nuts, but the Brits and Scots would figure it out quickly!

I will be in Clear Lake Easter weekend and hoping to get together with you and Mike and other south TX guys somewhere some time.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 10:15:23 PM »
Without any doubt the best nine hole course I've encountered is Arbuckle Golf Club, Arbuckle, Ca.  We used to drive across the valley for the pleasure of play there, when I lived and worked in Chico, Ca.

Arbuckle, besides being beautifully perched above the Sacramento Valley, with views to the Sutter Buttes and the Cascades beyond, has a great routing through oaks and possessing a wonderful set of greens full of internal contours and lay of the land pitch.

The greens were ALWAYS maintained in immaculate condition, well before pure putting surfaces and high stimp readings were the expected norm.  

The best of those greens are divided by complex ridges, effectively making the targets demanding to get to, and punishing iron shots and chips played with indifference.

One more note, Arbuckle was the home and workplace of Dick Howe, one of my favorite characters of all time, and just about the best superintendent I have had the pleasure of knowing.  

Here's to ya Richard!!

Best,
Tom

ps.......Tom D., Arbuckle also has a great opening 5 par, with the tees actually set on the practice putting green, and the hole snaking up a gentle valley to a skylline green......cool stuff!
the pres

Jud_T

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 10:27:26 PM »
How about Macdonald's Gibson Island Club in MD? Anybody played it?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 10:29:33 PM »
I haven't played it, but I know a member who raves about Merchantville Country Club outside of Philly on the New Jersey side.   Would love to hear more about this place if anyone has played it.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 10:39:13 PM »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 10:45:15 PM »
Tom J:  That's the kind of recommendation I'm looking for.  There have got to be others.

Jud:  I didn't play Gibson Island, but I walked it 15-20 years ago.  It was a shadow of its former self.  And it was 18 holes originally ... they abandoned the other nine in the 1930's.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 11:19:19 PM »
Athens (Ohio) Country Club, where Arnie and Jack first hooked up in a match.  Donald J. Ross layout.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 11:42:53 PM »
Tom,

As I mentioned on the other thread, Maine is woefully absent from Ron's list.  North Haven, Abenakee and Grindstone Neck should all be considered along with the others Brad mentioned.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 11:57:34 PM »
Another one that Mike Cirba and I were discussing tonight is Hay Harbor (the Little Club on Fishers Island, NY).  I'm still not sure who designed it.

Jason Topp

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 12:31:49 AM »
I have not played any on the list so I cannot nominate replacements.  I do enjoy Madeline Island (RTJ Sr.) which actually has 12 holes or so.  http://www.madelineislandgolf.com/golf/proto/madelineislandgolf/index.htm

I played zillions of 9 hole courses in Iowa growing up but was more interested in trying to score than paying attention to whether the course was any good.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back