News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Blakely

Re: GolfWorld Top 25 Best 9-hole Courses in America
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2013, 09:02:05 PM »

It is hard to find a good 9 hole course. But there are two in my books as good courses. I think a good 9 hole course has holes that are worth playing a second time around to make it a complete 18. So, of course, the Dunes would be no. 1.

But I do like Lamberts Point in Norfolk, VA, designed by Lester George with long par 3s, short par 3s, and a driveable par 4.

http://www.altdaily.com/features/entertainment/sports/10-reasons-i-love-lamberts-point-golf-club.html

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/11/norfolk-aims-fix-battered-golf-course-within-year

Another course I really enjoyed was the nine hole course, Victoria Lakes,  at Riverfront in Oxnard. It had bent grass greens and was built as part of a planned 18 holes. But it took four years to complete the other nine holes. So it was a stand alone 9 hole course with a great variety of holes. It once started with a par 3 hole. But then they add the other 9 holes and shifted to poa annua greens.

I wonder if Bandon Preserve would qualify as a nine hole course?

Lambert's point is a blast.  It is my favorite public corse to play in the Virginia Beach area.  a great find on a vacation about five years ago.  Highly recommend a play if you are in the area.  The views of the ships were a treat as well.

Chris

Jeff Blume

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2013, 10:51:19 PM »
One of the best 9-holers in Texas is Conroe Country Club.  The oldest golf course in Montgomery County (just north of Houston), it was designed originally by John Bredemus (Colonial Country Club, Memorial Park (in Houston), etc.) and opened in 1931.  We did a restoration of the course in 2010 with Mid-America Golf with the goal being to keep the "golden age" character of the course.  The club hosts one of the oldest invitationals in Texas each spring which draws good amatuer players from all over the state.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2013, 10:28:33 AM »
I used to hit balls at that little 9 hole and range off East Wacker also.  Worst range EVER!  It was a pure sand base and you'd hit almost every shot fat as a result.  It was beyond frustrating.  It deserved to be plowed under.  The whole thing had to be just a way to make use of the site until a better plan came along.  

I remember the "Illinois Golf Center" well as our office in the Amoco/Aon Building overlooked the site.  The 9 hole, par 3 course, which was designed by Perry Dye, was intended as a short-term use until the property owners could find a buyer for the land. I believe that finally happened in 2002 or so. 

Sports Illustrated ran an article about it back in 1995:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1006955/

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Bill Seitz

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2013, 10:51:02 AM »
I remember the "Illinois Golf Center" well as our office in the Amoco/Aon Building overlooked the site.  The 9 hole, par 3 course, which was designed by Perry Dye, was intended as a short-term use until the property owners could find a buyer for the land. I believe that finally happened in 2002 or so. 

Sports Illustrated ran an article about it back in 1995:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1006955/

2002 sounds about right.  We moved into the Aon Center after the crash of Andersen in May of 2002, and it was still there and open for a while after we moved in, but I don't recall ever visiting the place.  Still, it was kind of cool to look down on from the 74th floor. 

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2013, 11:51:15 AM »
   Nothing beats two loops around Hooper Golf Club (Walpole, NH) on a crisp, breezy and sunny fall day. I've done that for the last 40 years, at least.

If you ever up here to the sticks, bring your John Deere hat and Timberland boots (long sleeve LL BEAN flannel shirt will work real nice). Don't forget the flask with a little bracer! As good as it gets, my friends. It's not Cypress or Merion but, believe me, worth your time!!
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back