News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Flamion

Re: GolfWorld Top 25 Best 9-hole Courses in America
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 11:10:36 PM »
Pottawatomie Golf in St. Charles is a beautiful thing to behold.  I went out there last summer and was blown away. As an added bonuse we got paired with a pair of twin brothers who were more eccentric than anything I have ever seen.  They had about 10 steps to their preshot routines, however they took less than 10 seconds to hit each shot.

JC Urbina

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2010, 12:36:37 AM »
David,

I actually worked on the layout and budgets for the short course in Chicago.  It was a par 3 course and Perry was planing on building  a bunch of these layouts in major downtown markets including Los Angeles and New York City.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2010, 01:27:39 AM »
David,

I actually worked on the layout and budgets for the short course in Chicago.  It was a par 3 course and Perry was planing on building  a bunch of these layouts in major downtown markets including Los Angeles and New York City.

Thanks to you, and to Tom for the info and correcting me on the design credit. 

Tom Doak - yes they were all par 3's.  If memory serves me, the longest was about 170 yards, the shortest maybe 70.  I recall the design as being quite beautiful, given what they had to work with.  There was water (!) on two holes, I think.  I'm glad that others have fond memories similar to my own.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 05:10:20 PM »
An associate at my work belongs to Wyoming CC (9 holer) that is on Whitten's list. Here are a few pics when I played there almost 2 years ago. This course is always green in the summer, even in drought conditions as they actually have their "own well" and don't pay a water bill! Fun course, and can play tough.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

jim_lewis

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 09:04:40 PM »
Jonathan and Eric:

Headwaters is all par 3. Several holes are very strong requiring a well-struck mid-iron, even a fairway wood on one hole. I've played it about 6 times. It is, by far, the best par 3 course I have ever seen. Most of the holes would hold their own on any of Fazio's courses.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Jeff Bertch

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 12:14:30 AM »
Sorry to drag up an old topic...

I was walking over a crosswalk in downtown Chicago, which had to be over a decade ago, when out of nowhere...a golf course. I wasn't able to stop, but that moment stuck in my mind for years. I had never seen a golf course in such an urban environment. I had searched and searched for this course, but it seemed to vanish off the face of the earth. Though this site, I have found a few answers.

Looks like this course (Metro Golf at the Illinois Center) was only in play from 1994-2001. Boy would I have loved to tee it there!

**Not that I fully trust wiki, but here is a little info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakeshore_East
you know...a caddie, a looper, a jock

Jeff Bertch

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 12:20:23 AM »
"This is the first downtown urban golf center in the world. The course was designed by replicating Pete Dye's nine favorite holes. The greens are elevated, fast and heavily undulated as well as the tees. Many of the fairways connect, so beware of errant shots from other golfers. There are several pot bunkers on the course. From hole #8 you can see the skyline of Chicago, and hole #9 has a scenic island green. There are water hazards that come into play on several holes. The driving range has 125 stations that use, grass, mats and Tee-Tech, (simulated grass). In addition, twelve of the stations are heated."

- quote/description from golfable.com
you know...a caddie, a looper, a jock

Stephen Davis

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 01:01:32 AM »
I am surprised Witten selected #24 Dixie Red Hills in St. George, UT, but left out the 9 hole links course at Sand Hollow in Hurricane, UT. Dixie Red Hikls is a good course, but it is in no way superior to the Links course at sand hollow.

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2013, 02:25:35 AM »
I've never played fisher island (FL) but I've seen it and rode around it many times. For it to be #8 doesn't make much sense. Blah florida golf with little room on either side of any hole.

Jud_T

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2013, 12:55:59 PM »
Bill,

I've played the Fisher Island 9 (how many of you belt-notchers can say you've played both Fisher Island courses?  ;)).  It's actually a decent course given the constraints involved, although I can't imagine playing it on a really windy day.  I'd agree that's it's nothing special.  A nice amenity to a very ritzy development.  I'd put Hotchkiss, for example, well ahead of it.  
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2013, 01:25:33 PM »
Ron came up to Hotchkiss on his way to Geoffrey Cornish's 95th birthday party. He toured the course and then I took him to see Charles Banks' gravesite which is a stone's throw from my home. He's a very personable guy and I'm happy that someone in his position shed some light on 9 hole courses, along with Tony Pioppi's book, "To The Nines".

RW's compilation of 25 'best' courses does the job of reminding people of the benefits of playing 9 holers and that the several thousand of them in existence are spread out across the USA,  There are 4 from CA, 3 from NY, 3 from IL,  2 from MI, 2 from CT, and 1 each from MN, FL, MA, TX, OH, KS, IA, MD, NB, NH, and UT on his list.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Joe Bausch

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2013, 01:29:32 PM »
I've not played a single one of that Top 25, but if they are all as good or better than the Hugh Wilson designed Phoenixville CC, then I'll be making it a point to seek any of them out.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2013, 01:59:21 PM »
I've not played a single one of that Top 25, but if they are all as good or better than the Hugh Wilson designed Phoenixville CC, then I'll be making it a point to seek any of them out.

According to Phoenixville's website, "Tom Doak rated PCC the 6th best 9-hole golf course in the world!"

Does anyone know Tom's rankings?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2013, 02:32:45 PM »
In the old CG, ca. '94, TD listed his favorite 9 hole course as:

Royal Worlington and Newmarket - 9
Whitinsville -8
Rolling Rock -7
The Dunes -6
Reigate Heath -5
Wawashkamo -4
Phoenixville -4
Uplands -4
Millbrook -4
Sea Ranch -4
Musselburgh Old -3

His, like Ron's, is not a comprehensive list. Phoenixville must have moved themselves up a notch after Rolling Rock added nine more holes.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 02:44:08 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Scott Sander

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 06:24:42 AM »
19. Woodstock (IL) CC

Woodstock Club in Indianapolis is also a well-liked Bendelow 9-holer.  Wonder if there's ever any confusion between the two.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2013, 08:45:08 AM »
It's a true pity that the darling Fenwick GC in the village of the same name in CT isn't on the list. LI Sound-side golf, Kathering Hepburn lived on the course and Howard Hughes once landed his plane on the fairway of the par five 9th.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2013, 09:47:31 AM »
Both Greenock and Highland Links should be on any top 25 9-hole course list.

Ken Fry

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2013, 10:00:31 AM »

Wow Dan, good call on Greenock.  Old Ross course in Lee, MA.

Ken

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2013, 10:42:09 AM »
Ansley GC in downtown Atlanta deserves consideration, for sure.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2013, 04:20:12 PM »
Where is Phoenixville CC on the list?  ???  Its an under rated 9 hole gem in the greater Philly area.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Scott Weersing

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2013, 06:23:22 PM »

It is hard to find a good 9 hole course. But there are two in my books as good courses. I think a good 9 hole course has holes that are worth playing a second time around to make it a complete 18. So, of course, the Dunes would be no. 1.

But I do like Lamberts Point in Norfolk, VA, designed by Lester George with long par 3s, short par 3s, and a driveable par 4.

http://www.altdaily.com/features/entertainment/sports/10-reasons-i-love-lamberts-point-golf-club.html

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/11/norfolk-aims-fix-battered-golf-course-within-year

Another course I really enjoyed was the nine hole course, Victoria Lakes,  at Riverfront in Oxnard. It had bent grass greens and was built as part of a planned 18 holes. But it took four years to complete the other nine holes. So it was a stand alone 9 hole course with a great variety of holes. It once started with a par 3 hole. But then they add the other 9 holes and shifted to poa annua greens.

I wonder if Bandon Preserve would qualify as a nine hole course?

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2013, 06:49:29 PM »

+1 for Highland Links (I haven't played Greenock)

Here's a neat video I just found re: Highland Links on Cape Cod:

http://vimeo.com/24144456#at=0
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 06:57:34 PM by Bill Shotzbarger »

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
Tim:

The Hughes story is pure legend. He did, however, fly over Fenwick and tip his wings to the Hepburns on his way to Europe.

Autographed copies of To the Nines are still available. Just email me!

With Arbor Day just around the corner, the make a the perfect gift.

Anthony

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2013, 07:30:22 PM »
Tony,
When are you going to put together a group of raters that only do 9 holers? Nice add on to your blog, plus, you could make it a requirement that anyone seeking their rater's card must buy a copy of "To The Nines".  ;D 

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2013, 07:45:42 PM »
Jim:

You're a genius!

Tony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back