GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Chocolate drop mounds

(1/4) > >>

Rob Miller:
Doing some of my 'required reading' for these boards, and am going through Geoff Shackelford's, The Golden Age of Golf Design.  In the opening pages he refers to the earliest US design as "primitive and sometimes downright freakish with...chocolate drop mounds and grave-shaped hazards."

As delicious as it sounds, looking at the old photos, large mounds coming out of the bunker look comically bad.  Just curious if anyone knows if it was an American invention or imported from across the pond.  Are there any still in existence? 

Bill_McBride:
Jack Nicklaus has designed a lot of chocolate drop mounds.    Grand Cypress near Orlando and Loxahatchee in Jupiter, FL come to mind.

I just looked at web sites for those clubs and there are no photos of such mounds.  Wonder if they've been removed?

Pete Lavallee:
Many New England courses piled the rocks that littered their sites and covered them with earth; very efficient and effective if done right. Check out the pictures in the Kittansett profile. If Rees built mounds like those he would be worshipped and not villifed.

Jaeger Kovich:
Quaker Ridge has a few of them, but I dont believe they are original. The members absolutely despise them!

Paul OConnor:
Olympia Fields South course was just redone with lots of chocolate drops.  Not really my favorite feature, but they do make for some interesting shots if you get tangled up in them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version