News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jamie Barber

Re: Best golf for the money
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2010, 11:48:21 AM »
Royal St George's .. £15 as guest of an Artisan

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2010, 11:52:05 AM »
The past few summers, Grayhawk has had a promotion where you buy 12 rounds that can be used over 13 weeks and it comes out to about $30/round, can be used anytime and at either course.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, 11:56:27 AM »
Most courses in the UK and Ireland have extremely reasonable guest fees if you are actually playing with a member.  They are able to sustain those fees by gouging the tourists, but I don't have a problem with that ... the tourists are paying, and not complaining too loudly.  However, the huge rise in unaccompanied guest fees has put traveling golf out of the range of many club members within the UK.  When I was caddying at St. Andrews, most of my loops were for members of clubs in England, but I doubt there are nearly as many of them willing to fork over $250 or $300 for a round today.

If St. Andrews Beach is really $22 Australian ($17 US) after 4 pm, I'll second Mike Cocking's choice.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2010, 12:11:13 PM »
I think the $195 for 36 in November at Bandon is one of the best deals in golf

Get serious! Over $50 per round is never a good deal.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jud_T

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2010, 12:19:59 PM »
how about Paraparaumu Beach:

Full Playing=1200 NZD (835 USD).  40 rounds=$20.89/rd....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Greg Krueger

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2010, 12:24:11 PM »
The best value I have come accross is Oak Hollow in High Point, NC. It is an early Pete Dye that is a blast to play, last July prices were $29 duing the week. (Includes Cart)

jonathan_becker

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2010, 12:25:09 PM »
In 2008, I got a 36 hole special at Grayhawk for $75 and could play on back-to-back days.

Quicksand GC in San Angelo, TX - $22 after 3pm.  A Hurzdan/Fry design that is tons of fun to play.

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2010, 01:47:06 PM »
I'd second the Dec/Jan rate at Bandon -- two rounds for less than the cost of one during peak season, plus you practically get the courses to yourself.

The student rate of $25 at Yale also is a pretty good deal. 

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2010, 03:50:01 PM »

I didn't know the definition of a good deal was strictly $50 and under. Under $100 to play some of the best courses in the world is a good deal.

John Moore II

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2010, 06:25:14 PM »

I didn't know the definition of a good deal was strictly $50 and under. Under $100 to play some of the best courses in the world is a good deal.

Well, $100 is not a good deal on a daily basis, but sometimes I guess it can be. Then again, to play Bandon in the winter, you'll need another $200 worth of clothes, so it all works out really. But on average, no, I don't think more than $50 is a good deal.

Sean_A

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2010, 06:51:23 PM »
The cheapest walk in off the street (no seasonal, guest fee etc etc reductions) deal I take up regularly is Kington as £22.  Rounding out my ten best deals are courses which aren't nearly as cheap as Kington (just shows how good I think Kington is), but they are still a great price for wonderful golf.  

St Enodoc £65
Enniscrone 50 Euros
Woking £60
North Berwick £80
Pennard £50
Cavendish £30
Lakewood Shores $62
Prestwick £120
Rye £80

Close but no cigar (which probably means wait a few years and if prices continue to rise these courses will be up top):

Sligo 78 Euros
Addington £65
Beau Desert £55
Tenby £40ish
Brora £40
Huntercombe £45
Lederach $51

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 04:29:14 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Ash Towe

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2010, 02:29:11 PM »
Mike,

Glad you saw Arrowtown.  It really is a great little course.  Any more comments would be appreciated.

Most courses in NZ can be played for under $65, with the exchange rate that meand for most people on the site $50 but most are cheaper.

John Cornish

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2010, 04:11:00 AM »
The first members' guest at the Honorable Company is five pounds.

A seasons pass for residents of St Andrews is GBP170 for 2010/11 for play over all seven courses. If you're really busy and play each course 40 times in a year, that works out at 60p per play.

Even playing the Old Course 40 times, it's GBP4.25 per play.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2010, 07:53:43 AM »
Hey John!

(We played down at KH, how you been mate.  ;D)

There are quite a few good twilight deals going on around Sydney, of which Penrith GC at 10 bucks is a great deal.

Also what would the members guests rates be at some of the top courses in the US roughly? (Shinnecock, CPC etc...)

Tim Martin

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2010, 08:21:23 AM »
Delray Beach Golf Club-Donald Ross design after 1:00 $39 with cart if you want to ride.

Jason Topp

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2010, 12:29:12 PM »
Texarkana Golf Ranch is very good if you do not mind dormant bermuda.  We paid around $40 for 36 holes riding a few years ago.

Jud_T

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2010, 01:27:54 PM »
Shepherd's Crook in Zion, Il.  A fun Keith Foster layout, ranked one of the best munis in the country. $25 weekday twilight....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ted Harris

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2010, 03:27:31 PM »
County Sligo has a special new member rate of 562 euros ( $765 usd ) for unlimited golf in 2010

Matt_Ward

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2010, 03:33:02 PM »
Try New Mexico and any points east of the front range in Colorado. Plenty of solid public golf options abound.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2010, 03:36:49 PM »

They planned to open Bandon at $35 green fee. Now that would have been a good deal. Then they figured out they may have Veblen goods and raised the price accordingly. You are not playing for golf at Bandon. You are paying for exclusivity, status, and art.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mac Plumart

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2010, 04:05:08 PM »
Harbour Town with Eric Smith!!   :)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

George Freeman

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2010, 04:44:13 PM »
Rackham GC in metro Detroit was always a pretty good deal (< $30 twilight) for a Ross muni with some fun holes

Ravisloe CC in the Chicago suburbs is a great course considering their $30ish twilight rate.  As mentioned on here before, it's an old Jewish club that recently opened to the public.  Fun old school (short) Ross course which recently was restored by Prichard I believe.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jud_T

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2010, 05:51:24 PM »

Ravisloe CC in the Chicago suburbs is a great course considering their $30ish twilight rate.  As mentioned on here before, it's an old Jewish club that recently opened to the public.  Fun old school (short) Ross course which recently was restored by Prichard I believe.
[/quote]

$28 weekdays...Best Public course for the money in the metro Chicago Area.  Maybe the best Public course period......

J_ Crisham

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2010, 08:46:30 PM »

$28 weekdays...Best Public course for the money in the metro Chicago Area.  Maybe the best Public course period......
[/quote]Jud,  Do you really think Ravisloe is better than Pine Meadows or Cog #4? Ravisloe is certainly cheaper but when it was private it was at best a mid tier club in Chicago. Nice course but far from great.  Pine Meadows and Cog 4 are certainly the equivalent of midtier Chicago privates. Just my opinion,                  Jack

Mark Molyneux

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2010, 10:49:59 PM »
Any other votes for Torrey Pines at $58 weekdays and $73 weekends or Harding Park at $46 & $59? You have to live there but the deal is sweet enough to cause me to think about moving in (or getting a fake ID like back in high school).

Bethpage Red at $41 and $46 is the deal that gets a lot of New Yorkers up at 2 A.M.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back