News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Kramer

Re: Top sets of par-5's.
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 10:00:34 AM »
Bethpage Black #4 is one of the best holes I've ever played/seen.

-Ted

Brandon Johnson

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 10:16:26 AM »
I have to ditto Eric Smith and Anthony Gray.

The par 5’s at World Woods are very fun to play, provide risk reward situations, options off the tee and second shots and have a slightly different feel to them. I enjoy the subtly of #6  (especially after the wild visuals of #4) and how the tree line by the green dictates where you want to place your tee shot.  

The par fives at TPC Sawgrass are my favorite set. Navigating those tricky second shots is the key. The combination of the tree branch encroachment on #2, the fairway contours (that will either run out down the left or get stuck in a low on the right) that set up a right to left shot against a left to right prevailing wind.  Ummm Ummm good work and very subtle.

#9 Great small green that is under 3000 sq. ft. The front left and back right pin locations are as good as any.  

#11 is Brilliant! The width off the tee is deceiving…Left, center, right? Again Pete Dye leaves you with NO good option for the second shot. Really, what is the best position for your second shot? Do you go left, layup right and deal with that tree and sloping fairway? Go for it if you have the chance?

#16…the tournament history is self explanatory.

Sean Leary

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 10:20:25 AM »
Ben,

When you played Augusta National, which tees did you play from?

George Freeman

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 10:45:54 AM »
The Kingsley Club has a pretty darn good set of par 5s.  All three are reachable, but it takes two excellent shots in each case.  Good risk/reward for all three.  And all three have excellent green sites.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Mike Wagner

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 10:59:40 AM »
Pac Dunes is a pretty easy one.  #3 might be my favorite in the world.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 11:09:37 AM »
The Kingsley Club has a pretty darn good set of par 5s.  All three are reachable, but it takes two excellent shots in each case.  Good risk/reward for all three.  And all three have excellent green sites.

George,
Which five are you forgetting: 1, 7, 14, or 17?   :)
Mike

George Freeman

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 11:15:21 AM »

George,
Mike

Stupid me!

I was actually forgetting #7 for some strange reason.  How?  I do not know.

Everything I said about the other three is also applicable to #7, especially regarding that green site!

Thanks for the catch Mike.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, 11:18:34 AM »
They may not be everyones cup of tea, but the par 5s at Black Rock, ID are very fun and interesting, especially no.s #3 and 16

JC Jones

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 11:36:35 AM »

George,
Mike

Mike,

you forgot one too..... #15 ;)
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

George Freeman

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 11:48:52 AM »
Ben - two par 5s at Crystal Downs??  Are you sure we played the same course?  When I played there were at least 7 or 8 par 5s, not counting the par seven 10th hole.  ;D

Seriously, the 8th is no doubt all world but I don't put 16 in that same class. I still can't find anything that isn't world class about the 3 at Sand Hills despite Patrick insisting that the set at Pebble is superior. 

I would agree that #8 at Crystal Downs is all world and that #16 seems to fall short of that title.  The green complex is good (as they all are), but I didn't recognize a whole lot of strategy in my one and only round.

There is a very good chance I am missing something, so if that is the case, someone please enlighten me!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2010, 12:09:49 PM »

George,
Mike

Mike,

Just trying to punish you a little, DBS!  ;D

George,
The 16th at the Downs is a very fine hole with an excellent green.  People often talk of the wide open tee shot, with a big fairway out there -- that lack of definition puts one off a little bit and without concentration, the golfer doesn't get his drive where he would like to.  The gentle curve of the hole to the left and the rise in the ground for the second shot creates a semi-blind shot that will require knowledge to get the ball in position for the third, which will likely be 120+ yards, even with two fine shots prior to it.  Those with length will have a tough time hitting the green in two, due to the obscurity of the surface and the contour around the target (+ 5 bunkers) and OB behind the green at the road (something I don't think should be there).  In addition, when 8 is downwind, the 16th is against it and vice versa.  So, while the 8th is one of greatest par 5's in the world, the 16th is a true 3-shot hole that marriages well with it.

Mike

Sean Leary

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2010, 12:26:15 PM »
They may not be everyones cup of tea, but the par 5s at Black Rock, ID are very fun and interesting, especially no.s #3 and 16

Funny, I thought the par 5s were a weakness there since a lot of them seemed to play similarly. Admittedly, I didn't "get" Black Rock so my views are somewhat clouded..

Kapalua's are fun....

Dan Boerger

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2010, 12:36:54 PM »
Predictable response, I know ... but none-the-less the best set of par 5's I've ever played were #7 and #15 at Pine Valley.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

George Freeman

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2010, 12:43:17 PM »
The Kingsley Club has a pretty darn good set of par 5s.  All three are reachable, but it takes two excellent shots in each case.  Good risk/reward for all three.  And all three have excellent green sites.

George,
Which five are you forgetting: 1, 7, 14, or 17?   :)
Mike

Mike,

Just trying to punish you a little, DBS!  ;D

George,
The 16th at the Downs is a very fine hole with an excellent green.  People often talk of the wide open tee shot, with a big fairway out there -- that lack of definition puts one off a little bit and without concentration, the golfer doesn't get his drive where he would like to.  The gentle curve of the hole to the left and the rise in the ground for the second shot creates a semi-blind shot that will require knowledge to get the ball in position for the third, which will likely be 120+ yards, even with two fine shots prior to it.  Those with length will have a tough time hitting the green in two, due to the obscurity of the surface and the contour around the target (+ 5 bunkers) and OB behind the green at the road (something I don't think should be there).  In addition, when 8 is downwind, the 16th is against it and vice versa.  So, while the 8th is one of greatest par 5's in the world, the 16th is a true 3-shot hole that marriages well with it.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I assume the desired tee ball would land in the left half of the fairway, and the same would go for the approach in order to avoid having to hit over the front right bunker?  The day I played, the pin was back right, up behind the bunker on that back portion of the green.  The challenge of that shot was to hit a wedge with enough spin to get the ball to check (to avoid long and possible OB), but not so much spin that it pulls back down the slippery slope of the green, all the way to the front (which is exactly what I did).

Are there really 5 bunkers around that green!?  For some reason I am only picturing one big complex front and right of the green...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2010, 12:59:09 PM »
I'll nominate the set of par 5s at The Golf Club. Lots of variety in the length, design and the land for each of the four holes. There are many strategic options as well.

Thomas McQuillan

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2010, 01:39:11 PM »
The par 5's at muirfield village arn't bad. In fact, par 5's are probly one of the strongest points of Nicklaus' designs.anyone know any other good Nicklaus par 5's?

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2010, 06:05:50 PM »
The par 5's at muirfield village arn't bad. In fact, par 5's are probly one of the strongest points of Nicklaus' designs.anyone know any other good Nicklaus par 5's?

I like the set at Shoal Creek. 

David_Madison

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2010, 10:02:41 PM »
Roaring Gap in NC has four par-5's that can each easily be reached in 2 shots, with no water or other penalties in immediate play. They comprise the most teasing and frustrating 5's I've ever played. With sharp play you can be putting for eagles, yet on each you can make an extremely quick double or worse. Each is vexing because there is no obvious lay-up nor apparent extreme danger, so you are enticed, almost forced to go for the greens with your second shots.

Ben Sims

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2010, 10:20:57 PM »
Ben,

When you played Augusta National, which tees did you play from?

Tee hee.  And as we ALL know, opinion is only allowed if you've played the hole(s) in question.

Seriously though.  Why is my opinion on the par 5's at ANGC so inflammatory?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2010, 10:30:50 PM »
Good par fives are often hard to come by. A good fiver needs to offer an interesting option or challenge on each shot along the way... not just a routine layup without too much effort required to a short iron third.

The course that I've always felt offered a good set of fives is True Blue. Each one is completely different and offers a very distinct option on each shot whether it be a long or short one. I never tire of playing these holes.

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2010, 10:35:34 PM »
The Kingsley Club has a pretty darn good set of par 5s.  All three are reachable, but it takes two excellent shots in each case.  Good risk/reward for all three.  And all three have excellent green sites.

George,
Which five are you forgetting: 1, 7, 14, or 17?   :)
Mike

Mike,

Just trying to punish you a little, DBS!  ;D

George,
The 16th at the Downs is a very fine hole with an excellent green.  People often talk of the wide open tee shot, with a big fairway out there -- that lack of definition puts one off a little bit and without concentration, the golfer doesn't get his drive where he would like to.  The gentle curve of the hole to the left and the rise in the ground for the second shot creates a semi-blind shot that will require knowledge to get the ball in position for the third, which will likely be 120+ yards, even with two fine shots prior to it.  Those with length will have a tough time hitting the green in two, due to the obscurity of the surface and the contour around the target (+ 5 bunkers) and OB behind the green at the road (something I don't think should be there).  In addition, when 8 is downwind, the 16th is against it and vice versa.  So, while the 8th is one of greatest par 5's in the world, the 16th is a true 3-shot hole that marriages well with it.

Mike

#8 and #16 are both brutal par 5's if you pull your tee shot into the left rough.

Don't ask me how I know.   >:(   A pair of snowmen resulted.  Once you're in that stuff, it's hard to exit gracefully.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 10:37:32 PM by Bill_McBride »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2010, 11:14:36 PM »
George Freeman:

I try to drive it to the right half of the fairway on #16 at Crystal Downs.  Most people go left because the hole curves in that direction, but as Mike said, playing over the corner of the rough at the top of the hill is a really hard shot to judge, and if you hit it thin or left, you are going to lucky to walk away with a 6.  On the other hand, if you drive it right, you play right up the length of the fairway and don't have to flirt with the rough on the left (unless you want to).  I think the hole is underrated.

No one has mentioned my #1 choice for a set of par-5's in the back of The Confidential Guide.  Muirfield.  The 5th is a great long 5 with a terrific green at the end; the 9th is a great short 5 with its row of bunkers and tilting green; and the 17th is a terrific hole whether it is reachable (downwind) or playing like a three-shotter (into the wind) with its cross bunkers in play.

Eric Smith

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2010, 11:56:17 PM »
Kevin mentioned Muirfield in post 18...

The Lakes (NSW)
Muirfield

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2010, 12:27:10 AM »
Kool aid choices

TPC Sawgrass
Lancaster Country Club
Pine Valley
Sandhillls
Harbor Town
Pebble Beach
Bandon Trails

Lesser Kool aid choices

Stonewall - North (PA)
Philadelphia Country Club (#3/#18 for the Snead loss of the open by itself)
Essex Country Club - NJ Off the normal radar which I will bother to describe

Non-Kool aid choices

Birdword (UVA) Charlottesville VA

#2 flanks a water hazard and a hill side, a real choice on the second shot to a green with a lot of slope, the tee shot and second shot demands that you keep the ball in play.

#5 a par five that winds nicely from left to right and rewards a well placed long drive with a shot to a small green with minimal slope but far from a simple one or two putt.

#15 low tee angled to a high landing area followed by a long downhill slope that really rewards a well played daring tee shot.  The layup or go-for-it shot must be straight.  Green has about three tiers and is nicely cut into a hillside.

#17 a steeply uphill tee shot and a blind second shot on a three shot hole for mortals with a sloped green guarded by a stream.

Three Little Bakers

#7 shortish hole that really does not encourage going for the green as it is small and fairway is sloped the entire way.

#9 a downhill tee shot that if played perfectly allows the mortal golfer to go for the green guarded on the left by a pond and right by a tree

#16 a real three shot hole with a creek about 120 yards before the green, I think on every shot on this hole especially the second shot, fairway is really wide but it feels narrow, the green is small with a lot of internal contours.

#18 a narrow tee shot due to the slope of the ground, with a well placed shot a long hitter can go for the green but the mortal golfer has a blind layup shot to a sloped fairway.  This hole looks easy but plays hard for me.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

mark chalfant

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2010, 01:06:02 AM »
Lawsonia:  13  and 18 are especially  good
Philadelphia CC
St. Georges  (Thompson) in Toronto
Fox Chapel

NCR  (Wilson)
Plainfield   Best of all !!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back