News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: What is wrong with the 5 hour round?
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2010, 05:03:27 PM »
In my experience the slower players are the ones who haven't learned the game's etiquette for whatever reason.  Typically they have never belonged to a club or had much experience playing at private clubs.  If the only thing someone's ever experienced is a 4 1/2-5 hour public round, then there's no reason to expect them to understand the etiquette of picking up when you're out of a hole or ready golf as it's understood here.  This applies to golfers of all abilities in my experience.  In other words, the high handicappers who play slow do so more out of ignorance of the etiquette of pace of play than out of the number of strokes they are taking.  I know this isn't necessarily the case in GB&I...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 05:11:29 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2010, 05:26:05 PM »

Jud

Yes, we know what you mean, many travel overseas to our little island and continue their ignorance of golfing etiquette on our courses.  ;)

Melvyn

PS You guys just have to learn to pace yourselves “What’s wrong with the 5 hour round”  simple answer less time in the 19th afterwards – you see golf is certainly a thinking game, you just got to consider all the angles. Some of you do not understand the refinements of real honest traditional golf  ;D ;D

Richard Choi

« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2010, 10:51:50 PM »
In my opinion, blaming slow rounds on high handicappers is BS.

The slowest players in the world are also the best players in the world (PGA Tour where 6 hour rounds are the norm now). They set the standard and they deserve the blame for growing slow pace. I died a little when Ben Crane won the other day.

You can shoot 120 and still play around 4 hours. The slowest players I have played with are usually better players who step every yardage and inspect putts from every possible angle.

To answer the OP's questions, playing 5 hour round is like driving 45 mph on freeways. Sure, you can do it and you may enjoy the drive if there is gorgeous scenery around, but don't be surprised if you get run over by other drivers.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 10:55:23 PM by Richard Choi »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2010, 12:27:02 AM »
Maybe there should be a maximum combined handicap per group of around 45 to 50 +/-.

Didn't you mean there should be a minimum combined handicap per group of around 30 to 35? We got to somehow speed up or exclude those tour wannabees that take so long to play.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dave Greene

« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2010, 08:51:12 AM »
You may have a point there.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2010, 09:09:24 AM »
the final 60 minutes of that time...time that I could be jumping in the cart to go back to my favourite spots to take some photographs without holding up the flow of play.

That been said if playing somewhere like Pebble...where you can never get around in less than five...sit back and enjoy the view ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2010, 09:22:41 AM »
"What is wrong with the 5 hour round?"

For me if there is no unnecessary waiting involved there is nothing wrong with a 5 hour round. I'd call it "slow motion golf." It's actually great for one's swing tempo and state of mind. It's something like Frederick Law Olmsted's philosophy on beautiful landscape architecture-----eg if it actually moves someone to a vocal response (ie. "WOW") there is too much going on and it must be overdone. The ultimate presentation and expectation should be one of quiet meditation!  ;)

Olmsted had a term for this. He called it "sanitative" and he wasn't talking about soap and water, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 09:25:07 AM by TEPaul »

JC Jones

« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2010, 11:26:14 AM »
Sorry Tom, you must take the Pat Mucci mindset.

You could be playing on your all time favorite course with your all time favorite people to play with all the while having a great discussion about architecture and other things you like to talk about, shoot the best score of your life and yet, if that round so much as takes 1 minute longer than 4 hours, it is a complete and utter waste. ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2010, 11:51:12 AM »

"What is wrong with the 5 hour round?"

For me if there is no unnecessary waiting involved there is nothing wrong with a 5 hour round.

Waiting ?  For whom ?  Your foursome ?

How about the entire golf course that's playing behind you.

If you're playing in front of me and you're taking five hours, you'd better be wearing a helmet and a flak jacket. ;D

I'd call it "slow motion golf." It's actually great for one's swing tempo and state of mind.

Only if you're on weed or mushrooms.

It's something like Frederick Law Olmsted's philosophy on beautiful landscape architecture-----eg if it actually moves someone to a vocal response (ie. "WOW") there is too much going on and it must be overdone. The ultimate presentation and expectation should be one of quiet meditation!  ;)

Try telling that line of BS to the four linebackers for the Eagles who are playing behind you.

Today, everyone is absorbed in THEIR game, completely ignoring their obligation to other golfers on the golf course.

I want to see all of you 5 hour advocates lollygag and take your time as the first group off on a busy day at Pine Valley, Augusta, Winged Foot, Friar's Head, GCGC, Seminole and all the other courses you're dying to play.  I guarantee you that you'll have an abreviated nine hole round, at the most.

TEPaul, you should know better, you should know how important the pace of play is, not just for your group, but for every group behind you

Olmsted had a term for this. He called it "sanitative" and he wasn't talking about soap and water, that's for sure.

Yeah, well I have some words for Olmstead, "move your ass or let us through" ;D

If people are inclined to play in 5 hours they should be put at the end of the tee off slots.

If people want to take in nature, let them go on a hike, but, by all means stay off the golf course.

It's apparent that the bozos accepting of 5 hour rounds haven't read the USGA RULE BOOK, "The RULES OF GOLF"

The first section of "The Rules of Golf" is devoted to "Etiquette"

And, in that section, there's a subsection entitled, "Pace of Play".
You should reread it because evidently, with all the weed and mushrooms you're doing with the Olmstead Society members, you've forgotten what it says.

In addition, the following subsection, is entitled, "Be Ready to Play"

If it's not to much of a burden for you and the other Bozos advocating the acceptability of 5 hour rounds, try to read both subsections within two hours of one another.  If that's too difficult for you Bozos, have someone read them to you.

TEPaul, so that I can be clear on this, when you officiate for the GAP, are 5 hour rounds now acceptable as the standard for pace of play ?

I will not play with anyone who either advocates or takes five hours to play 18 holes

TEPaul

« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2010, 12:07:11 PM »
Pat:

On some reflection, your last post and all your aggressive and adverserial statements and attitude on it reminds me of precisely why I belong to a golf club like GMGC. It was begun to avoid that very mentality and remarkably the club has managed all these years to preserve that relaxed aura. It is pretty rare these days, I guess, and we who are from there should constantly count our blessings for it, I'm sure!  ;)

By the way, I'm not a slow player, never have been, but it is nice to play at a club where the atmosphere is never one of a constant race and rush or the feeling of it which seems to be far to common these days; where the atmosphere is truly relaxed both on and off the course.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 12:10:54 PM by TEPaul »

Joe Bentham

« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2010, 12:11:12 PM »
Alister MacKenzie was troubled at the turn of the century.  He was concerned that the average round of golf was taking 3 hours, and wondered aloud why it was taking so long.  He knew that longer rounds would drive people away from the game, and he was right.  
Golf should be fun and if your golf takes 5 hours there is way too much standing around to be fun.
Anyone who defends 5 hour rounds should have to watch as their range finder, cart bag and divot tool collection are destroyed in front of them.  Anyone who advocates a 5 hour round should be water boarded.

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2010, 12:14:51 PM »
After Pat's post, I am almost reluctant to join the fray. 

My home course is a difficult walk, but we can get around in a little over 3 walking.  A foursome in carts can do sub 4 (3:30) is pretty quick.  I play in the first or second group out normally so luckily we don't have a problem waiting and we are all cognizant of the effect we can have on pace of play.

Anything over 4:30 seems really long and 5 is awlful - while my wife is understanding, there are limits.

The worst part to me is that when you get times like that is that people are usually waiting and stacking up on teeboxes.  As a result, I rush and my enjoyment goes downhill quickly.

All that being said, a few weeks ago, I played 9 holes in probably 2:45 +.  The time went by quickly and it was a fantastic way to start the year off.  The key:  I was playing with my 9 yr old daughter who wanted to play golf with me despite the 45 degree temperatures.  We had a blast, and I really didn't notice the pace of play once during our time out there.  Also, there were only 3 other groups on the course so we didn't hold anyone up.
Steve Pozaric

TEPaul

« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2010, 12:16:08 PM »
"TEPaul, so that I can be clear on this, when you officiate for the GAP, are 5 hour rounds now acceptable as the standard for pace of play?"

Of course not. With GAP and the Pa Golf Association tournaments we pretty much have "pacing" down to a fine and carefully administered science.

In the last two years I helped pretty much apply it to my club's big annual member guest which takes place in late September (not great on total daylight time). Last year for the very first time in the tournament's about 80 year history we actually got everyone done on Friday so no one had to come back to finish the next morning which had never happened before.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2010, 12:30:11 PM »
Pat:

On some reflection, your last post and all your aggressive and adverserial statements and attitude on it reminds me of precisely why I belong to a golf club like GMGC. It was begun to avoid that very mentality and remarkably the club has managed all these years to preserve that relaxed aura. It is pretty rare these days, I guess, and we who are from there should constantly count our blessings for it, I'm sure!  ;)

By the way, I'm not a slow player, never have been, but it is nice to play at a club where the atmosphere is never one of a constant race and rush or the feeling of it which seems to be far to common these days; where the atmosphere is truly relaxed both on and off the course.

If that's the case, why are you racing and rushing and penalizing competitors playing in GAP competitions ?

You can't have it both ways.

It's also nice to know that golfers at GMCC don't get upset when they get behind a group that will take 5 hours or more to play 18 holes.

Do the members start getting upset when the rounds go to 6 or 7 hours ?

If I'm not mistaken, and I'm sure that you'd correct me if I were, don't you have a good number of members at GMCC who are also members of Seminole ?  I believe that some of them are friends of yours.

If so, then surely you must be aware that Seminole hands out a pamphlet to all unaccompanied guests telling them that play should be in no more than 3.5 hours.

How do you reconcile that ?  5+ hours at GMCC and 3.5 hours at Seminole, for the same members ?

Seminole is sensitive to "pace of play".  Are those members at GMCC who are also members at Seminole, who take 5 or more hours to play 18 holes restricted to playing after midnight, or just nine holes ?

Please stop with the BS that 5+ hour rounds are routinely accepted as normal rounds at GMCC.
There's not a club I know of that sets the pace of play at 5 hours.

And, as a rules/committee member officiating GAP Tournaments, you KNOW that 5 hour rounds are not the standard for pace of play.

Please also tell us how the caddies at GMCC place the ball on the tee and retrieve the ball from the hole for the members in order to perpetuate that relaxed aura ;D.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 12:32:54 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

JC Jones

« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2010, 12:40:21 PM »
Pat,

It is interesting to see how you have framed the discussion in such a manner that makes in unreasonable to discuss.  You have established an absolute.  Anyone who understands that under certain circumstances one may deviate from that absolute is, instead of recognizing deviations, advocating a new norm. 

Unfortunately for you, however, it lacks any semblence of logic and is completely unconvincing.

Similarly, Joe B., what happens when the person who is NOT advocating for 5 hour rounds as the norm but understands that under certain circumstances a 5 hour round might happen, doesn't have any of the gadget and gizmos you described?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2010, 12:45:52 PM »
Read plenty of the posts and simply many have failed to understand that certain courses are unlikely to be under five hours because of the walk between holes and the overall terrain encountered.

We have a lot of such courses in Colorado and, while I consider a 5-hour round to be excessively long, a 4 or 4 1/2 hour round is quite reasonable.  Unless the golf course is completely empty, 4 players aren't going to get around these courses in 3 hours and it's folly to hold up that time as an ideal and flagellate ourselves when it's not achieved. 

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2010, 12:48:14 PM »
Joe Bentham,

I understand unusual circumstances, 5 hour rounds are acceptable when there's been a 2 hour lightening delay. ;D

Mark Molyneux

« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2010, 12:54:45 PM »
The way I figure it, the typical golf course experience involves taking a five mile walk and over the course of that walk, managing to conceive and execute 75 to 100 golf shots. Of course there's clean-up like raking a bunker, scrubbing a clubface, and washing a golf ball. "Search-and-rescue" (locating golf balls that are not on the short grass is an essential part of what we do. Socializing should be extended to include busting chops and consuming whatever one feels a need to purchase before retiring to the grille room. Finally, there's accounting with the scorecard (but please don't do that on a green while I'm waiting to hit my approach).

For a foursome:
Walking five miles at 20 minutes per mile is time consuming; "strolling" might take a little longer. We all do that together... 1 hour 40 minutes

Four guys hitting 90 shots each at 20 seconds per shot for visualizing, waggling, hiking up the pants "like Arnie"etc. is another ... 2 hours

Clean up ought to be done while other guys are hitting their shots so... 0 minutes added to time elapsed

"Search-and-rescue" shouldn't be more than 5 minutes per player and that's generous... 20 minutes total

Socializing & eating can be done while walking (cf. the walking and chewing gum postulate)... 0 minutes

Filling out a scorecard... this is not even the 1040 EZ but I'll give you 30 seconds per hole... 9 minutes

That's 4:09 elapsed time for a foursome that doesn't get lost out there somewhere between 13 and 14. I'll even allow a minute to get the foursome's picture taken if it's a resort course and the photographer is cute, so call it a four hour and ten minute round.

I won't say that there's anything necessarily "wrong" with a five hour round but when I get into the clubhouse and you're settling bets or having a beer, I might want to know what the hell else you were doing out there besides golf.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2010, 02:50:38 PM »
Reading this thread reminded me of Gib Papazian's excellent piece from the "In My Opinion" section of this website.  Is a five hour round acceptable?

http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/a-lesson-from-a-lady-in-scotland-by-gib-papazian

Enjoy!  I'm certain Gib won't mind my posting this for your reading pleasure.   ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2010, 07:03:18 PM »
"If that's the case, why are you racing and rushing and penalizing competitors playing in GAP competitions ?
You can't have it both ways."

Patrick:

I most certainly can. That is the beauty of belonging to a dedicatedly light play golf club like GMGC has always been. As long as I'm not holding anyone up out there at GMGC it makes no difference to anyone how long I spend out on the golf course. That may not be a concept you're not familiar with but at that club I sure have been for well over thirty years now. Nobody has to take 5 hours out there if they don't want to and most don't including me but it certainly has always been possible unlike most any other golf club I've ever known. We've also never had any formal starting times and I doubt we ever will. That's one of the central things the members of that club have always liked about it. It was one of the primary reasons the club was founded in the first place in 1916---eg Merion had become far too crowded for the founders of GMGC.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 07:07:28 PM by TEPaul »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2010, 07:18:45 PM »

"If that's the case, why are you racing and rushing and penalizing competitors playing in GAP competitions ?
You can't have it both ways."

Patrick:

I most certainly can.
That is the beauty of belonging to a dedicatedly light play golf club like GMGC has always been.

Why would you advise competitors to speed it up and play in less than 5 hours when you're not willing to do the same ?
What kind of double standard is that ?   Do as I say, not as I do ?  ?   ?

As long as I'm not holding anyone up out there at GMGC it makes no difference to anyone how long I spend out on the golf course.

That's an interesting caveat, but, the rules of golf, to which you subscribe, indicate otherwise in the Etiquette section.

It's the group's responsibility to keep up with the group in FRONT

So, you're obligation is not to keep barely ahead of the group in back of you, but, to keep pace with the group in FRONT of you, and, if they're playing in 3.5 hours, you're supposed to keep up with them.   I thought you knew that. ;D

I'm sure that the members of Seminole who also belong to GMCC make it a point never to get behind you.

That may not be a concept you're not familiar with but at that club I sure have been for well over thirty years now.

You're right, I'm not familiar with lollygagging.
I abide by the USGA rules and try to make sure that I keep up with the group in front of me.
That's the only way to ensure that play on the entire golf course will be at a desirable pace.
Even the 300 club members play in four hours

« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 07:21:18 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Mark Molyneux

« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2010, 08:02:51 PM »
I once played a crazy, extreme round of golf when the temperature was 6 degrees Fahrenheit as we left the shop for the first tee. Now, admittedly there wasn't a crowd in front of us but we played in well under five hours.

Another fond memory, takes me back to when I worked summers in a golf shop. Every evening, when the last cart was in, two of us would take off and play as many holes as we could. You'd be amazed at the pace of play in those mini rounds! 

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2010, 08:57:57 PM »
In my early 40's I went through a period of quivering hands (unfortunate side effect of some medication) that made it necessary to pull the trigger between shakes - and it took some time to catch it at just the right moment. Mucci and Uncle Bob were both kind to me, but the embarrassment factor was so hideous I nearly gave up the game; truth be told, it took three years to get everything balanced and I literally hated myself after every round of golf because although I was a slowish putter, I previously never took a practice swing and marched with extreme dispatch between swats of the ball.

That stated, everyone needs to put aside the idea that all golf courses are created the same in terms of speed of play because the variables are nearly infinite. The Ocean Course at Olympic takes a very fast foursome of decent players three hours and 10 minutes to play. Period. The green-to-tee walks and long uphill trudges slow down the parade.

By contrast, despite two hill climbs, the Lake course will take the same group two hours and fifty minutes. Make whatever argument you like, but nobody can assert the Lake Course is less demanding than the Ocean - both are par-71.

The problem for fast players is that we must either awaken at "Please-God-Take-My-Life O'Clock," dodging sprinklers in wet socks, trudging through an arduous game of 'hit splat,' hit splat' - or tee off at a rational hour and move at the pace of an Arab Caravan behind foursomes of plodding neanderthals and their hit & giggle wives, waddling along in too-tight blouses and ill-fitting plaid skirts.    

Having been through the meat grinder, I have so thoroughly abandoned any interest in total score these days, that I barely look at distance markers - and certainly don't hump the putting surface like Camilo Villegas - which I firmly believe is more intended to moisten the panties of the midriff's in the gallery than figure out which way the ball breaks.

Time has raced by, but many years ago I was on a committee that ended up overseeing the redesign of Poplar Creek (aka San Mateo Muni). A series of angry public meetings ensued the minute it was announced that the city was considering remodeling what had for years been known as "Disgusta National."

Tiny green fee increases for the seniors was met with the sort of hysteria usually reserved for the suggestion that the government was going to eliminate health benefits and confiscate their Social Security checks for the benefit of illegal aliens.

The local county golf scribe asked why none of the seniors seemed to be the least bit concerned with the plight of juniors and their high school teams - under the theory that there is no constitutional requirement that retirees be provided super-cheap public golf on the backs of the next generations.

I see above that someone in the Treehouse read my mind. One of our initiatives was to implement a series of ideas to make our target round on the weekend at four hours. This is not an impossible dream for a 6200 yard, dead-flat golf course. One meeting, I interrupted yet another seething filibuster from the ringleader of the opposition. After he completed his rant that I wanted to "turn the golf course into a race track," I asked him a simple question: "If you have that much time on your hands, why don't you just go play 36 holes?"  

That writer is a jerk, but the death threats are less credible these days as most of them are on the south side of the divot.

The final word comes from my dear departed friend Rich Short - the older brother I never had but sorely needed. We had reached the 15th green on the Lake Course on a particularly sluggish afternoon, only to find two groups camped on the tee waiting for a cadre of banana slugs to clear the landing area.

Rick, whose name rhymes with prick, knocked in his birdie on #15, picked up his bag and strode for the clubhouse.

"Where are you going?," I asked, surprised since his birdie had put our match dormie.

Never turning around or breaking stride, he called back: "Sorry my friend, I only have a four hour attention span."

Over the years, I've noticed that neither do I. If you can concentrate for five straight hours without getting bored, I suggest Q-School.

I found Rick after our round in the steam room muttering to himself, wearing nothing but a golf shirt from Old Town and a vodka martini in a short glass, but that is a story for another day. I still play at dawn and still hate it . . . . but not as much as a five hour round.

----------------------

Here is the original of the third column I ever wrote. By some strange happenstance, a reader sent it to Michael Bonnallack - then head of the R&A - who wrote me a wonderfully clever letter that I have kept to this day. I think this is posted somewhere on the GCA site, but it seems as true today as 1995. I've tried to find Clara in subsequent trips, but nobody could ever recall such a person. It is almost as if she existed only in my imagination, but I swear she was real . . . . .

A Lesson from a Lady in Scotland
by Gib Papazian

‘What is it, exactly, that you Americans are doing on a golf course for four hours?’'

The query had come from my new-found Scottish friend as we were sharing a pint in a modest hotel bar in East Lothian, Scotland. We had been discussing the cultural differences between the American and Scottish attitudes towards golf. He was a member of the Royal and Ancient on a weekend golf outing with some of his fellow members. My companions and I were a foursome of traveling pilgrims who had journeyed to Mecca in search of the true roots of golf – and a sad example of the inherent danger in reading ‘Golf in the Kingdom’ too many times.

Naturally, our conversation turned to the most glaring and sensitive difference in our two golfing cultures, the pace of play. Sensing and international incident in the making, my American companions bravely excused themselves off to bed, leaving me to fend for myself.

I explained that, while four hours seems like an eternity to a Scotsman to play a round of golf, in the United States we have been conditioned to consider that acceptable.

Unfortunately, I then made the mistake of revealing that it is hardly unusual to suffer through five or even six-hour rounds on our public courses at home.

THE ROOM fell silent . . . an astonished silence. In a less civilized age, I would have been convicted of heresy and burned at the stake.

You see, there are very few private clubs in Scotland. The local public course is a source of great pride in the community, and the idea of a golfer being so thoughtless and rude as to take up that much time is unthinkable.

Golf in Scotland is played in 3 ½ hours maximum. Period. Players holding up the parade are firmly admonished by marshals that they must keep up – and everyone does.

In our country, marshals are often so worried about offending somebody that they hesitate to push slow groups along. They ought to worry far more about not offending the players stacked up behind them. We should take a lesson from the Scots, and empower our marshals with the authority to crack the whip on the donkeys, or toss them off the track.

Give the worst offenders the hook and the word would get around quickly that slugs are not tolerated. Any course with the guts to follow through with this policy would soon find itself a haven for fast players. It also doesn’t take a mathematician to calculate the increase in revenue from the additional green fees.

Golf’s popularity grows every day all over the world. We need to educate the new crop of converts that a five-hour death march is not normal.

Tournament play is one thing, and it is understandable how in pressure situations golf can take slightly longer. What is not understandable is how a guy can plumb-bob an 18-inch putt for quadruple-bogey while the rest of humanity are pitching tents waiting.

PEOPLE WHO watch and emulate professionals on the PGA Tour should remember that there is a huge difference between playing your brother-in-law for a two-dollar Nassau, and playing for a Green Jacket with 20 million people watching.

I though of my Scottish friend several days later at St. Andrews, when in the shadow of the Royal and Ancient, we stumbled upon the true roots of golf. Her name was Clara McInnes, and she was 78 years old.

We were seated on the steps behind the 18th green of the Old Course watching groups come in.

She came marching down the fairway with a canvass golf bag slung over her shoulder.

Stopping only to swat the ball with her old brassie, her much younger playing partners – and their caddies toting enormous golf bags – struggled to keep up.

Clara wisely played a perfect bump and run shot up the front of the green through the ‘Valley of Sin,’ the ball coming to rest 10 feet from the pin.

While the rest of the group was busy chili-dipping their pitch shots, Clara pulled her ancient putter out of the bag and walked briskly onto the green directly behind her ball. She read the line as she did.

When it was her turn to putt, she barely hesitated and rammed that 10-footer into the back of the cup.

Naturally we all began clapping. Looking back, maybe it wasn’t just her putt we were applauding. Maybe it was that Clara McInnes represents golf as it was meant to be played, or perhaps we were clapping for Scotland, and the game we love so much.

There is a lesson here for all of us.

She acknowledged us with a curtsy and a wink, picked up her bag and set off for home.

What is it then, that we Americans are doing on a golf course?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 08:33:31 PM by Gib Papazian »

Mike Cirba

« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2010, 09:18:15 PM »
Gib,

The perfect post, and one that should be printed and then posted on the front door of every golf course and club in the US.

Thank you.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2010, 11:34:59 PM »
Mike,

Nice to see you quote a fellow Fiji . . . . Calvin Coolidge does not get the credit he deserves - possibly because his philosophy had evolved beyond simple collectivism. Your blurb reminds me of our rep in Los Angeles, whose Arthur Ashe persona is epitomized by his daily credo:

"The key to success is pleasant persistence."

And baby, he lives it every day . . . . . I wish I had his Pollyanna outlook, but he makes it work beautifully  - always as the consummate gentleman.

As for the newbie who believes I make up all these "stories" off the top of my head, here is the obituary I wrote for the San Francisco Chronicle in memory of my mentor Rick Short:

Donald Richard “Rick” Short - October 18, 1946 - October 27, 2003. Died in San Francisco after a battle with cancer. Born in Virginia, Rick was a graduate of University of Tennessee before moving to San Francisco in 1970.

Rick was a longtime member of the Olympic Club, pursuing a career as a securities trader at several firms in San Francisco. An excellent golfer all his life, he regularly competed in prestigious amateur events throughout the nation.

Known for his rapier wit and piercing intellect, Rick blended, with equal facility, a Technicolor vocabulary punctuated with quotes from Herb Wind to Herman Melville. At once both charming and prickly, his unique presence and refreshing bluntness endeared him to a seemingly endless list of friends throughout America.

Clad in his familiar loafers, no socks and ever-present blazer with matching handkerchief, Rick was a frequent visitor to Postrio, after a daily steam bath at his beloved Olympic Club.

Often referring to himself by his childhood nickname of “Ziggy,” he was a talented and insightful stock trader with a rare acumen for anticipating the market. As the old saying goes, Rick Short was a piece of work. But most of all, he was a loyal and caring friend who battled illness to the bitter end and did not go quietly into the night.

Rick Short is survived by his stepmother, Sara Short of Germantown TN; a stepsister Judy Pegg of Memphis TN; an aunt, Mrs. William S. Smith, Jr. of Winston-Salem NC; Cousins Dabney Short of Chester VA, John Short of Dinwiddie County VA, Barbara McCants of Ft. Wayne IN and countless friends made on the links and through life.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:47:13 PM by Gib Papazian »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back