News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ulrich Mayring

Hidden Gems in Belgium
« on: February 09, 2010, 06:35:49 PM »
Hi all,

are there any interesting courses besides the Royals, preferably near Bruxelles? I'll be there on a Saturday in August, so the larger clubs will likely have club events. Might arrive on short notice as well, so accessibility is a factor...

Thanks in advance for any tips,

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

John Mayhugh

Re: Hidden Gems in Belgium
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 08:38:56 AM »
No idea, but if you find any let me know.

One of my great travel regrets is having played only a single round of golf on the continent.  In a former job, I went to Belgium and/or Germany 50+ times.  Saw a lot of really great places, ate well, and drank well - but no golf.

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 09:02:47 AM »
Ulrich,

It's not a non-Royal, but Royal Zoute is a magical place and very quiet, so perhaps weekend play would be possible.

I played it on a Friday, but from memory I was able to play the Saturday PM if I wanted to. That was Easter weekend last year.

The secretary Christine (I think was her name) was tremendously welcoming and friendly, and at 85 Euros the price was very good for a course of that quality. With this much notice and as a foreign visitor you never know your luck.

The train runs straight from Brussels to Knokke (through Bruges) in 1h10m and the course is about a 4-5min cab ride from the station, if you didn't fancy driving or if you'll be without a car.

If you wanted to make a day of it and play 36, they also have a par 64 "executive course" on site that Colt also routed.

JC Jones

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 10:40:38 AM »
No idea, but if you find any let me know.

One of my great travel regrets is having played only a single round of golf on the continent.  In a former job, I went to Belgium and/or Germany 50+ times.  Saw a lot of really great places, ate well, and drank well - but no golf.

Likewise.  My in-laws lived in Belgium for almost 5 years.  We went frequently and I never played golf there.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 10:48:23 AM »
Ulrich,

There aren't really any old courses that aren't royal. R. Zoute is good, but there are close runners up in Royal Antwerp and Royal Belgique. However, I don't think you'll get on either of these at a weekend unless you can arrange it in advance. I'd say your best bet would be to try R Hainault which is a very welcoming club and not far from Brussels. There are 27 holes (9 newish ones in genuine heathland by Hawtree). It could do with a tree clear out but is at least oldish (1933). R Waterloo is very dull. Farther afield it might be worth enquring in advance of the Simpson courses near Liege, R Sart-Tilman and RGC des Fagnes. Two courses in the west are Royal Latem (pretty routine and flat, but very friendly) and R Ostende (part links, but some very ordinary holes inland - makeshift). Bercuit is the oldest of the new generation of Belgian courses (RTJ 1965) but I could not in any way recommend it. There are some good holes amongst the 36 at Ch de la Tournette and plenty of ordinary ones, but it does at least offer a weekend green fee rate. Note that Friday often counts as weekend in Belgium. My advice would be to make sure you can take advantage of the dining rooms at lunchtime - I've had exceptionally good food at R Belgique, R Sart-Tilman and Ch de la Tournette - but as I was driving I had to forego the wine lists which made inspiring reading - a good run of Drouhin burgundies at Sart-Tilman, for example. If you are in Antwerp in the evening make sure to book at the Dock's cafe - excellent seafood.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 01:15:18 PM »
Thanks everyone, so I guess I'll try Hainault or Sart-Tilman (already played Fagnes), but Saturday morning is not the most hopeful of times :)

Ulrich

Andrew Hastie

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 03:32:21 PM »
Limburg Golf & Country Club in Houthalen is worth a game!

http://www.lgcc.be/

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 06:56:09 PM »
Looks interesting... a Hawtree from 1966 on moorland.

Ulrich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back