News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Taylor

Re: Elanora Country Club
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 03:56:02 AM »
10th hole: 398m, Par 4, Index 8

Straight away long par 4. Blind tee shot with a pretty flat green. Fairway is further right than you think off the tee.

Bottom tee

Top tee

150m out

Looking back

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2010, 07:07:49 PM »
11th hole: 496m, Par 5, Index 12.

The 11th hole is a medium length par 5 that plays slightly downhill. There is a very deep bunker down the LHS of the driving zone that has to be avoided. From there it's about 230m to a very wide open green that is protected by a couple of bunkers at the front. The green is also quite interesting in the fact it (I can't think of a better word) looks like it has a wave through it.

Tee shot

Looking back to tee from past the bunker. Note the Mackenzie camoflague.  ;)

100m out from green.

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2010, 07:15:32 PM »
12th hole: 159m, Par 3, Index 18.

Just a straightforward par 3. It is defended by 1 bunker at the front right of the green, and 2 nasty bunkersover the back left hand side. The greens is quite flat at the front - middle section, but then it drops off slightly towards the back. A good birdie chance to be had here.

T Shot

Loooking back

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 07:28:12 PM »
12th hole: 283m, Par 4, Index 14.

This is another very nice short par 4 that plays uphill. There are 2 bunkers in play on your drive that dictate your strategy, and a little creek running down the RHS. The green effectively plays like an upside down "L" since the front left hand portion slopes right off the green. I'm not sure if there is a pin position down there (think the front right portion of 3rd RQ).

Tee shot.

110m out from green.

Looking back.

The next hole begins a very good stretch of holes. 13-17.

Pup

Brad Tufts

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 09:50:37 PM »
Another good thread Pup...I'm enjoying.

What's funny is that considering what I know about golf in Australia, I'm a bit less enthused about this course, because as an American golfer, I wouldn't probably be getting to Elanora even on a lengthy visit with so many other good courses to see.  But of course, if Elanora was within an hour of Boston, I would be speeding there on two wheels to enjoy myself in good conditions, fun bunkering etc...

Also, Q for the users of the imperial system...when you see scorecards in metric measurements, it changes my thinking at first glance.  Yeah, yeah, it can be converted easily, I know...but when I see a par 4 that says 285m, I'm much more willing to pull the D and go for it than if the placard says 310 yards...does this effect anyone else subliminally? at least at first thought?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:08:26 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 10:03:08 PM »
but when I see a par 4 that says 285m, I'm much more willing to pull the D and go for it than if the placard says 310...does this effect anyone else subliminally? at least at first thought?

Absolutely, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Michael Taylor

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2010, 08:10:48 AM »
14th hole: 401m, Par 4, Index 4.

The 14th is one of my favorite holes on the course. It is a long downhill par 4 that plays a little bit more like 380m because of the elevation change. It is a slight dogleg left with a severe left to right slope on the fairway of the DZ, and has a creek running down the RHS. The green is one of the more undulating on the course and has a very tough to access portion up the back left.

Tee shot.

Looking back from fairway.

Towards the green from 150m.

Looking back from green.

The next hole is an immensely difficult par 4.

Hopefully I can get the rest of these done tomorrow.

:)

Pup

John Spraggs

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2010, 09:16:21 PM »
Nice guide - I got to see this course back in September when in the area.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2010, 11:29:19 PM »
15th hole: 386m, Par 4, Index 1

The 15th hole is rated the most difficult hole on the course, and I must agree with that. It is a downhill par 4 with a narrow driving zone that slopes hard right to left. To make matters worse there is a bunker on the RHS, and a creek that is 230m from the back tee, and 250m to carry.

Nice view

Tee shot

160m short of the green.

A look of the green surroundings.

Looking back to the tee.

Pup

Scott Warren

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 11:36:33 PM »
Michael,

What's the go with all the rough short of the creek? Looks like the last 20m at least is longer grass, as well as rough just over the hazard as well?

Michael Taylor

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 11:41:25 PM »
Nope. The fairway goes right up to the creek, but it is rough over the hazard. The rough over the water is probably just for aesthetic appeal though (and Elanora loves aesthetics :)).

Pup

Scott Warren

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2010, 12:09:21 AM »
You mean this between the camera and the hazard is fairway?

Michael Taylor

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2010, 12:17:25 AM »
Yes it is.

Isn't it obvious? It is to me anyway.

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2010, 12:38:29 AM »
16th hole: 534m, Par 5, Index 5.

The 16th is a massively long uphill par 5 that is full of danger on each shot. The tee shot is quite wide but there is lost ball territory to the left, and dense trees to the right. On your 2nd shot there are some bunkers to contend with, and the better angle is coming in from the LHS where a deep bunker is located. On the 3rd shot (or 4th for most mortals :D), you must avoid the right bunker or be left with a tough shot to a green sloping slightly away from you.

Tee shot

Looking down the fairway.

Looking back.

The next hole is a delightful little par 3.  :)

Michael Taylor

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2010, 01:07:12 AM »
17th hole: 122m, Par 3, Index 15.

The 17th is a wonderful little par 3 hole. The green slopes off on the right hand side, and falls away quite severely over the back. There is a rock formation just left of the green which looks awesome with the bunker 'bleeding' into it.

From the path above the green.

And looking back.

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2010, 08:19:46 AM »
18th hole: 394m, Par 4, Index 3.

And so we come to the 18th hole. The 18th is a long uphill par 4 that plays quite a bit longer than stated, morel ike 415m. It is a simple hole. One bunker on the RHS of the DZ, and a bunker just short left of the green. Architecture at it's simplest.  :) The green has a little ridge running through it and a fall off on the RHS.

Tee shot

A long way out.. (Note the absolutely massive clubhouse. It's about 150m wide.)

From 75m short.

And the final picture of the day, me!

;D

Well that there is Elanora Country Club, one of only a few hiddem gems left in Australia.

Pup
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 09:07:11 AM by Michael Taylor »

Michael Taylor

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2010, 09:02:02 AM »
Random Photos

Walk from 17 green to 18 tee.

A look of the bush surrounding the course. Also there is a Kookaburra in that tree if you can make it out. :)

Looking back along 16.

Another look back on 10.

9th green side on.

18 FW with 9th in the background through trees.

Driving Range

Clubhouse

Me

Me and Clubhouse

Pup

;D

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2010, 01:42:30 AM »
Michael

Thanks for your review.

What are your favourite holes at Elanora ? least favourite ?

Michael Taylor

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2010, 03:04:08 AM »
Hmm.

I really enjoy the 1st, 2nd, 5th, 9th, 13th, and 14-17. To be honest, I'm not sure what my favorite is. Maybe 2, 9 or 17.

My least favorite hole would be the 7th, as there isn't much going on in the green.

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2010, 07:51:33 AM »
Bump.

Whoever does the list of reviews on delicious.com, could you shove this up on it as well?

Thanks,

Pup

Andy Gray

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2010, 08:22:43 AM »
Thanks for the tour Michael, I had never heard of the place, it doesn't appear in rankings does it? I too would be interested in who designed and when. Where's the course located (in Sydney, I know, but where exactly?)

Emil

Josh highlighted who originally designed it - Dan Soutar back in the late 1920's. Some holes have changed under Wilchers recent redesign.

It appeared in Golf Australia's Top50 most recently within the 30-40 bracket. I wouldn't have it that high but have it on a par with it's northern neighbour Monash Country Club (NB: there is another country club in Sydney)

It's located near Narrabeen close to Sydney's northern beaches.

Brings back memories... played there in the State Junior Mixed Foursomes with the daughter of the second ranking officer on the NSW Police Force. Possibly the only time I never swore after a shot for 18 straight holes. We finished second and I was allowed to leave the premises with a written warning... putting surfaces look as good as ever, although I seem to recall them being a little less green and bit faster back then. The trees have also grown in a bit.

Do they still have the elevator up from the 9th tee to the clubhouse?

Could you be thinking of Wakehurst Golf Club? I know they have an elevator of sorts from the 18th and 9th green up to the clubhouse... also situated on the Northern Beaches and on similar, but more severe terrain.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2010, 09:04:17 AM »
That 'elevator' your thinking of is just a pully system to help you get back up the hill. Before the re-design of Elanora there used to be an actual elevator to get up to the clubhouse from the 9th tee.

Pup

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back