News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Taylor

Elanora Country Club
« on: February 08, 2010, 07:30:19 AM »
This is a little known club situated on the Northern Beaches of Sydney, Australia. Elanora is the most private club in Sydney and they do not allow visitors, unless accompanied by a member. And it's pretty tough to get a game considering they have a small membership of 300. Now I must add that Elanora is by far the best conditioned course in Sydney, and the best conditioned I've ever played. The greens aren't quick (run about 8-9 on the stimp), but they are the smoothest surface you'll ever putt on. So if you can't sink a putt here, your just crap.  ;D

Now I don't have the greatest photos nor do I have a shot from every angle or position unlike my previous photo essay.  :( So I'll make it a nice and short guide to the course.

Link to my other Tours.

Royal Queensland - http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42747.0/

1st hole: 353m, Par 4, Index 4.

This is an uphill dogleg left. The tee shot is relatively narrow and has trouble on both sides, with deep bunkers right and the bushes to the left (auto lost ball).

Tee shot

60m short of the green, past all the bunkers.

I absolutely love this place. You could even say I have a soft spot for it.  :)

I hope you enjoy this tour of a hidden gem.

Pup

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 06:27:43 AM by Michael Taylor »

Michael Taylor

Re: Elanora Country Club
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 07:36:26 AM »
2nd hole: 534m, Par 5, Index 6.

This is a wonderful long downhill par 5. The tee shot is pretty wide. You just have to miss the bunkers on the left and bushes on the left and you'll be in a good position for your 2nd shot.

Tee shot (Ocean in the background)

From the lower tee.

On the 2nd shot you have to make a decision as to how aggressive you will be. There is water right on the 2nd shot that goes from 50m short, to right up along side the green. However the layup is complicated by the strategic positioning of 2 bunkers.

From 30m out.

Looking back.

This is one of my favorite holes on the course.

Next hole is a drivable par 4 (that I eagled! ;D).

Pup

Greg Krueger

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 09:07:33 AM »
Michael, thanks for the tour. Any idea who designed it?

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 09:39:53 AM »
"Michael, thanks for the tour. Any idea who designed it?"

I guess if he knew he would've said; but it does look so good I suppose I would have to say either HH Barker or Macdonald/Whigam or at the very least Willie Campbell must have had something to do with it or at least been the driving force behind it somehow.

Emil Weber

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 10:14:49 AM »
Thanks for the tour Michael, I had never heard of the place, it doesn't appear in rankings does it? I too would be interested in who designed and when. Where's the course located (in Sydney, I know, but where exactly?)

Josh Stevens

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 12:10:48 PM »
Elanora is a funny place.  You do not see it in rankings because it specifically asks not to be included.  It is a holiday club situated in Sydney's northern beaches area.  It harks back to the 30's when Sydney was a smaller place and travel was not so quick - many of Sydney's great and good from the posh eastern suburbs would have their weekend or holiday place up in the Palm Beach area of what is now northern Sydney.  They would all be members at either Royal Sydney or the Australian and would also play at Elenora when they were up at their shacks.

So always very very discreet. Not the greatest course - really just your typical northern Sydney course, much like Pymble or Avondale - but was never to be, just a very private family club. A Dan Soutar design i think (he designed but did not bunker Kingston Heath) but clearly has been fiddled with recently looking at those bunkers.  All a bit pompous but a pleasant enough day out.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 03:06:26 PM »
It was actually ranked in the most recent mag ranking & it was always ranked back in the late 70's early 80's. Since then, it wasn't good enough to make the Australian Top 100.

James Wilcher has done the recent reworking of it & he has done a good job.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 03:23:01 PM »
Greg,

Sorry I don't know who designed it mate.

Josh,

I agree with you. However I wouldn't say it's your typical Northern Beaches course. Elanora is my favorite course out of the Northern Beaches and IMO is better than Avondale and Pymble (I don't really like Pymble at all). Also it really is the only true country club in Sydney as it has Accomadation, Tennis Courts, Croquet etc.

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 03:38:05 PM »
3rd hole: 281m, Par 4, Index 18.

The 3rd hole is by far the easiest hole on the course, so it really should be taken advantage of.

It is a short uphill par 4 that is protected by a bunker on the landing zone, and 2 bunkers at the front of the green. The green is flattish and is a bit of an "L" shape.

Tee shot

Approach Shot

Looking back from the middle of the green.

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 03:45:09 PM »
4th hole: 390m, Par 4, Index 14.

The 4th is a nice little downhill dogleg left. There is nothing really great about this hole, but it is still a solid par 4. I really am a fan on the bunkerless green site though.

All you gotta do is miss those bunkers on the left side and you've got a birdie chance. The bunkers are about a 270m carry. 220 to first one.

Tee shot

LHS of FW from 100m out. (My ball is really close if you can see it.)  :)

And looking back to the tee.

Following this we have a nice tough par 3.

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 06:49:56 PM »
5th hole: 173m, Par 3, Index I don't know (I'm doing this at school right now so no scorecard on me! :D)

The 5th is a medium length par 3 with 2 bunkers and water guarding the green. The green has a ridge running through the middle so staying on the correct side is paramount.

Tee shot

Looking back

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 07:01:42 PM »
6th hole: Par 5, 510m, Index (Still doing this in my class at school ;D)

The 6th is a very long uphill par 5 that is probably the toughest par 5 on the course. The tee shot is out of a narrow shute, to a narrow fairway (with a bunker on the RHS). You really have to position yourself down the middle to LHS so as to not be forced to hit a fade on your 2nd shot (because of trees). The green is pretty big and one of the tamer ones on the course, although it slopes front to back.

Tee shot from 50m past the mens tee. Ladies tee is up on the left.

Looking back to the tee (ocean through the trees).

From 150m short of the green. Green is right of the left hand side bunkers.

And looking back to the tee. Clearly you don't want to miss your 2nd shot to the left..

Next hole is probably the least fun on the course.

Pup

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 07:18:29 PM »
Thanks for the tour Michael, I had never heard of the place, it doesn't appear in rankings does it? I too would be interested in who designed and when. Where's the course located (in Sydney, I know, but where exactly?)

Emil

Josh highlighted who originally designed it - Dan Soutar back in the late 1920's. Some holes have changed under Wilchers recent redesign.

It appeared in Golf Australia's Top50 most recently within the 30-40 bracket. I wouldn't have it that high but have it on a par with it's northern neighbour Monash Country Club (NB: there is another country club in Sydney)

It's located near Narrabeen close to Sydney's northern beaches.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 10:41:12 PM »

Emil

Josh highlighted who originally designed it - Dan Soutar back in the late 1920's. Some holes have changed under Wilchers recent redesign.

It appeared in Golf Australia's Top50 most recently within the 30-40 bracket. I wouldn't have it that high but have it on a par with it's northern neighbour Monash Country Club (NB: there is another country club in Sydney)

It's located near Narrabeen close to Sydney's northern beaches.

Brings back memories... played there in the State Junior Mixed Foursomes with the daughter of the second ranking officer on the NSW Police Force. Possibly the only time I never swore after a shot for 18 straight holes. We finished second and I was allowed to leave the premises with a written warning... putting surfaces look as good as ever, although I seem to recall them being a little less green and bit faster back then. The trees have also grown in a bit.

Do they still have the elevator up from the 9th tee to the clubhouse?
Next!

Michael Taylor

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 04:53:14 AM »
Anthony,

The routing has changed COMPLETELY (I think ;D). From memory, the photo in the clubhouse beforehand really shows no resemblance to the routing used today. I could be wrong however..

No there is no elevator back to the clubhouse, since the 9th green is on level ground with the clubhouse.  :)

What do you mean you could leave with a written warning? If it's a joke, I don't get it..

Pup

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 05:37:05 AM »
Michael

I'm no expert on Elanora but I don't think the routing has changed "completely" - Andrew Summerall might be more knowledgeable on same (as usual)  ;)

I'm led to believe however 1 and 9 have been reversed and that the short P3 17th is a "completely" new hole ?

Michael Taylor

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 06:26:33 AM »
7th hole: 194m, Par 3, Index 8.

Not too much to say about this hole here. Just a nice long par 3 with a hazard left (stream) and a solitary bunker to the right. Green is pretty flat as well.

Tee shot

Looking back

I'm happy to answer any questions fellas. Let's get a good discussion going. :)

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 06:30:46 AM »
Michael

I'm no expert on Elanora but I don't think the routing has changed "completely" - Andrew Summerall might be more knowledgeable on same (as usual)  ;)

I'm led to believe however 1 and 9 have been reversed and that the short P3 17th is a "completely" new hole ?

Ahh. You've sparked my memory Kevin. I remember seeing the picture that the 1st and 9th holes have changed quite severely. So without bothering to think too much into it, I just assumed the routing was changed 'completely' like those 2 holes.  ;)

I adore the 17th. Fantastic little hole.

Pup

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 06:40:48 AM »
I adore the 17th. Fantastic little hole.

Pup

I agree that it's a very good short P3

Geez Pup - you're getting to play plenty of Sydney's Grade 1 courses have you played Monash as a point of comparison to Elanora ?

Michael Taylor

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 07:12:47 AM »
The only good courses I haven't played in Sydney are Terry Hills, The Aussie, Killara and that's about it. I'm sure there is one I've missed though.

I've Played Monash about 15 times Kevin.  ;D

I prefer Elanora to Monash mainly because of the variety of the holes and (probably not architectural), the abundance of amazing flora throughout the place. And the conditioning is the best in the country. Elanora has it's own 'Arboreum' (or however you spell it) comittee just to look after the plants or something.
With a 10 round split I'd go 7 Elanora and 3 Monash.

11 p.m here. I'll get some more holes done tomorrow.

Pup

Scott Warren

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 01:55:43 PM »
Also it really is the only true country club in Sydney as it has Accomadation, Tennis Courts, Croquet etc.

Royal Sydney has those things, as well as squash, gym/pool and lawn bowls, IIRC.

Jed Peters

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 05:13:25 PM »
I guess if he knew he would've said; but it does look so good I suppose I would have to say either HH Barker or Macdonald/Whigam or at the very least Willie Campbell must have had something to do with it or at least been the driving force behind it somehow.

Wait, isn't that the team that built Merion?

Anthony Butler

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 09:13:04 AM »
Anthony,

The routing has changed COMPLETELY (I think ;D). From memory, the photo in the clubhouse beforehand really shows no resemblance to the routing used today. I could be wrong however..

No there is no elevator back to the clubhouse, since the 9th green is on level ground with the clubhouse.  :)

What do you mean you could leave with a written warning? If it's a joke, I don't get it..

Pup
Michael,

Perhaps I forgot to mention the Chief Superintendent or whatever he was followed us for the entire 18 holes.

1st hole:
Me: 3 wood off the down the center.
Daughter of Cop: Topped a 7 wood about 20ft.
Me: 9iron 20ft past the pin.
DOC: Putts 6 foot past cup.
Me: Makes 6 footer for bogey.

Me: "Don't worry we'll start making pars soon".
Chief Superintendent: "You took 3 of the five shots, you mug"
Me: "Thanks for the reminder, officer."

Somehow, I got the impression if we didn't break 80, I would be taken out the back of the clubhouse by a couple of lads from the Major Crimes Squad and given the phonebook and cricket bat treatment. And that was back in the day when the cops could get away with that kind of stuff.

Nothing like the threat of imminent physical disablement to improve your putting.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:15:32 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Michael Taylor

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 03:47:14 AM »
I hate year 11, sooo much schoolwork.. ::)

8th hole: 285m, Par 4, Index 15.

Short uphill par 4 with wide driving zone. 2 bunkers on RHS about 190 from tee, and bush to the right. To the left isn't good either.

Pitch shot

I'll just be very brief from now on.

9th hole is one of my favorites on the course.

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 03:52:01 AM »
9th hole: 368m, Par 4, Index 11.

9 is a downhill par 4 dogleg left. There are trees to the right and lost ball territory down the left. Only one bunker on the hole which is on the LHS that seems unusual that it's guarding the inside of the dog leg (probably to protect from lost balls). Green has a ridge running through the middle dividing the front and back sections.

150 out near bunker.

60m to green.

Pup

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back