News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

Metal spikes - bah!
« on: February 07, 2010, 01:56:46 PM »
I was watching the European Tour and Jimenez was wearing metal spikes on his shoes and there was absolutely no sound reason for it.  The course was dry and in perfect condition and to wear metal spikes was nothing more than arrogance.

Chuck Brown

Re: Metal spikes - bah!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 02:08:58 PM »
I still remember my first, sudden, unexpected experience with softspikes.  Back when the Loxahatchee Club was in a death-struggle with its Southernmost-bent-greens in the world.  They had a mandatory softspike policy, and switched ours out on the spot for us.

I slipped four times during that round.

Granted, they were the old ones, with the now-obsolete dome-shape.

I have just never been impressed by any "etiquette" arguments.  Softspikes are good for clubhouses, and wooden infrastructure, etc.   On the golf course?  Eh.  I'd go back to metalspikes in one second if I could.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 03:01:06 PM by Chuck Brown »

Dean Stokes

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 02:13:41 PM »
I was watching the European Tour and Jimenez was wearing metal spikes on his shoes and there was absolutely no sound reason for it.  The course was dry and in perfect condition and to wear metal spikes was nothing more than arrogance.
Find me a less arrogant player, perhaps in the world, and I will be amazed Jerry.

It's his career and a perfectly within the rules choice to wear metal spikes. If I played professionally there is a chance I would still wear them as I do not fully trust soft spikes.

Why would you have such a problem with this considering you were not even playing the event?  :o
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 02:19:26 PM »
Chuck: I have never really seen a difference in metal versus soft spikes on the course, especially today and the types they are making. The only problem is that people don't pay attention to the soft spikes wearing out and that is when they get in trouble. I distinctly remember the damage that was done by metal spikes - even accidentally. Do you remember how often you would want to tap down a spike mark in your line - rarely happens today.

Dean: I don't think I have to be playing in the event to recognize what I feel is wrong.  The other players aren't using them and they seem to be doing quite well. I would guess that he just feels that he likes them and as long as he can do it, he will.  I don't have any facts to support my argument but I would put it out there that on a dry course there is no difference from a support standpoint between the two. 

Dean Stokes

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 02:24:44 PM »
Perhaps we ought to look at who won the event ;) Maybe the rest of the players should have worn them...........

No seriously though, maybe he was taking consideration for the many sandy waste areas on the course and thought the metal spikes may help.

I seriously prefer metal spikes and have always maintained this view. Hey, we used them for many many years and nobody complained back then.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Pat Burke

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 02:31:53 PM »
I can still play a little, and even in new Addidas, I will slip a little, 2-4 times a round.  I have old Reeboks with 1/2 length spikes from the old days.  Maybe slip once in 2-3 rounds.  In firm conditions  (soft spikes) with a little bit of moisture on the grass, I have often felt like I was on skates that were too dull :D
My half spikes leave no "Christmas tree" spike marks.  My Addidas leave dents.  Neither is great in certain conditions, but IMO the 1/2 spikes I used definitely allowed me more stability, without the spikemarks regular length spikes would leave.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 02:47:03 PM »
Some points about spikes:

~Modern, plastic golf shoes are made for softspikes.  There is more give in the plastic soles, and they could be very uncomfortable, walking on hard surfaces with metal spikes in them.  Manufacturers, selling the newest-design golf shoes, pressure their staff players to wear the newest shoes.  And, with adidas and Nike becoming big players in golf, there is a lot more focus on shoe contracts.  I remember the days when, at a Tour event, 90% of the players wore all-leather FootJoys.  That number is now about 10%, and shrinking, since FootJoy closed the Brockton shoe plant.

~Metal spikes are about four times more prevalent on the European Tour than on the US Tour.  Ditto the whole European market.

~There are a lot of hybrid designs that are popular now on the US Tour that would not be allowed if we tried to do it at our own courses.  i.e., the Champ Stinger, which is a metal post inserted into a plastic thread-body.

~I got in a debate with somebody once about the % of US Tour players who wear metal spikes.  So I counted the entire field one pleasant sunny day at Warwick Hills for a Buick Open.  I was honestly surprised at how few guys wore metal.  Elkington did, of course, and so did TAIII.  And so did a Mr. T. Woods from Florida.  This was on a Saturday, so it was after a cut.  Less than a dozen guys in all.  Of the guys who were wearing metal, all but one had old-style leather soled shoes.  Tiger was the only guy with modern shoes that had metal in them.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 05:04:30 PM by Chuck Brown »

Chuck Brown

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 02:56:34 PM »
Chuck: I have never really seen a difference in metal versus soft spikes on the course, especially today and the types they are making. The only problem is that people don't pay attention to the soft spikes wearing out and that is when they get in trouble. I distinctly remember the damage that was done by metal spikes - even accidentally. Do you remember how often you would want to tap down a spike mark in your line - rarely happens today.

I guess so.  I'm not a fanatic on the subject.  I like good greens as much as the next guy.  I miss the sound of the spikes on concrete.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 04:15:46 PM »
I am an old guy and I clearly remember metal spikes and all the spike marks on the greens - the supposed sacrifice of the new spikes is clearly worth it. There is still however, the fact that the impression you make with your feet takes a while to recover so nothing's perfect.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 04:38:59 PM »
The problem with soft spikes is they do not give the same grip in all weathers as metal spikes do. I, like one of two others here prefer the old fashioned spikes.

JSlonis

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 04:45:16 PM »
I was watching the European Tour and Jimenez was wearing metal spikes on his shoes and there was absolutely no sound reason for it.  The course was dry and in perfect condition and to wear metal spikes was nothing more than arrogance.
Find me a less arrogant player, perhaps in the world, and I will be amazed Jerry.

Really?  Is that from first hand knowledge?  I'm only an outsider looking in from TV but Jimenez always struck me as a pretty decent guy, somebody who you'd enjoy 18 with and a glass of some good Rioja after.  No?

Westwood needs to get that short game in order coming down the stretch.  He had every advantage and opportunity in the playoff and failed to win. 0 for 3 in up and downs.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 04:56:12 PM by JSlonis »

Mike_Young

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 04:51:17 PM »
Metal spikes are better...and I like Jiminez
Here's a quote form Charlie Rymer in a piece he has on our blog on our website(not promoting)

""As a former PGA Tour player, I can tell you the worst pairing in golf is to be stuck behind a group of fat guys wearing plastic spikes. Lets face it, the real reason plastic spikes have become mandatory at many courses is the fact that course owners don’t have to replace flooring in and around clubhouses nearly as often as facilities that allow traditional spikes. One of my best buddies is CEO of the worlds largest carpet manufacturer and he HATES plastic spikes. Ask PGA Tour players if they would rather putt over an old fashioned spike mark or Coke bottle cap dents and they’ll take the spike marks every time."
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 04:56:46 PM »
Why not just ask Fred Couples how important type of spike is?

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 06:42:34 PM »
Metal spikes should be banned . Its the greatest single improvement you can do to a putting green for zero cost.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 07:01:34 PM »
There is no question metal spikes give better grip, but I think the trade-off with green conditions and and FAR more comfortable walk with soft spikes outweighs the odd slip here and there.  I would also say that a significant percentage of slips are due to not replacing spikes when needed and poor/over-aggressive swings.  The thing I hate about soft spikes is they wear out quickly on links with prepared paths and in cold winter months when the edges just snap sometimes. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

J_ Crisham

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 07:12:17 PM »
  You guys must admit that there is something cool about the Classical Age club  lockerrooms with spike marks in the benches-it makes me think of the great times of players past and rounds that are but distant memories.
                                                                                            Jack

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 07:21:42 PM »
  You guys must admit that there is something cool about the Classical Age club  lockerrooms with spike marks in the benches-it makes me think of the great times of players past and rounds that are but distant memories.
                                                                                            Jack
So ........ we keep um?   
Soft spikes create far less damage to greens especially greens with creeping bent, as for stability i think if you keep your spikes modern, ie not worn out they provide the same stability as a metal spike. Not do that you might as well skate, but a soft spike has a more limited life  than a metal one say for perhaps 20 rounds. If you have a crazy swing involving 100 moving parts, yes metal spikes with anchors could be good.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 07:42:58 PM »
Adrian,  I did not suggest we keep using metal spikes-I stated that I like old lockerrooms with benches that have marks in them. Think Merion, Chicago Golf, etc. As far as having lots of moving parts in my swing you sure pegged me-
                                                                                          Jack

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 07:46:20 PM »
Jack - I love the history too and I bet my swing is worse than yours.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 10:31:12 PM »

I guess so.  I'm not a fanatic on the subject.  I like good greens as much as the next guy.  I miss the sound of the spikes on concrete.

Me too!  I'd still be wearing them if I could!   ::) ;D

Rob Rigg

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 12:29:24 AM »
Weren't metal spiked shoes significantly heavier because the chassis needed to be stronger to support the additional torque?

I like playing in Nike Frees during the summer when it is dry.

If your foot slips then you need to work on your balance (I know - that is easier said than done from certain lies) - just ask Sam Snead . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BJsZcGatEo&feature=related

FF to about 1:15 in.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 01:04:14 AM »
Perhaps we ought to look at who won the event ;) Maybe the rest of the players should have worn them...........

Or maybe they were just having trouble putting through his spike marks! ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 01:14:33 AM »
...FAR more comfortable walk with soft spikes ...

Bingo,

Sean posts another winner!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Gary Slatter

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 08:27:09 AM »
What is your problem with metal spikes?  they are hard on furniture, lake liners and wooden floors but great to play golf in.  Wish they came back.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

PCCraig

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 09:02:42 AM »
It seems the only players that are allowed to wear metal spikes are on the various Pro Tours. And of them only a small percentage actually do wear them...maybe 5% tops? Seems like a minor issue when you consider only about 40-50 in the world still wear them consistently.
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back