News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Why People Quit Golf
« on: February 07, 2010, 11:56:21 AM »
"I'm not a good golfer" I heard this morning. Sad words indeed.

Do these words identify Architecture's role in the stagnate (or, is it declining?)  demand, "golf" is currently experiencing?

The affirmative-
Too many decades of listening to the 'better' stroke play mindset golfer, on course alterations (and design), resulting in most courses becoming narrowly defined, exclusionary slogs of a venue. Their inherent challenges, and allure, are reserved for the aerial assault aficionado. Everyone else
can quit the game. Apparently they have.

"Golf" would have more participants (Less quitters) if the antithesis nature of golf course design had been followed.  Ya' know... The fun, varied courses which provide greater alluring opportunities for all levels of player.

What say you?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom_Doak

Re: Why People Quit Golf
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 12:05:53 PM »
What he means is that he's not having any fun.

I cannot put that all onto golf course architecture.  You are right that too few courses are designed with fun being of paramount importance, but there are also plenty of people in the world who can't have fun at something unless they think they are good at it.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 12:12:16 PM »
Exactly Tom, People have no fun without at least one of those shots that keeps bringing them back. On fun courses those shot opportunities are abundant. On slogs, not so much.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 12:16:23 PM »
I didn't take up the game until I turned 30. Have never "quit", but would venture to guess there are three main reasons people would.

1. Money
2. Time
3. Embarrassment.

In my opinion, those that did not grow up with the game have a tough time sticking with it. You might have never failed at anything in your life, been good at every sport you ever tried and still suck at golf. It takes a very secure person to get over that hurdle. With so many things competing for our energy these days, to suck at something that you spend a lot of time and money on becomes a waste.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 12:30:44 PM »
Exactly Tom, People have no fun without at least one of those shots that keeps bringing them back. On fun courses those shot opportunities are abundant. On slogs, not so much.

Adam:

A cool golf hole isn't going to bring you back if you can't hit the cool shot every once in a while.

I have tried more than most guys to come up with features that a skill-challenged golfer can still take advantage of.  [To his credit, I think Jim Engh is one of the few other architects who is trying to do that.]  But, not everybody's going to make it happen.

I think most of the people who quit golf are people who never really wanted to try it in the first place.  They don't enjoy being outdoors and walking around the course.  So if they suck, there's nothing in it for them except to hang out with their friends [who probably remind them often that they suck].

Not everyone is cut out to be a golfer.  I think the game can appeal to a lot of people, but it's not going to appeal to everybody.  You are right that we could do better at making it more appealing, but we should not do so at the expense of changing the core appeal of the game.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 01:09:07 PM »
It is certainly important to hit one of those shots that bring you back from time to time.  Without them golf would be far less fun plus they give hope that a breakthrough is right around the corner.
One thing that I have observed with respect to beginning golfers and the high handicap golfers at my club is that they rarely if ever play matches focusing, instead, on the weekly sweeps event which is exclusively stroke play.  While they are competing against the field, the brand of golf they are playing does not give them the benefit of the head to head competition offered in match play and the thrills associated with swings of momentum, great recoveries and long putts to steal a halve or win a hole.  Match play also allows the golfer to shrug off the blow up hole and continue  competing whereas in a stroke event, it typically means the end.
Match play is not only more fun, its more widespread use would probably make people better "golfers" in terms of etiquette etc.
Some of the most deplorable forms of gamesmanship, rules disputes etc. can be found in the lowest flights of of our member-member tournament where the majority are playing their only matches of the season.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 01:17:57 PM »
I didn't take up the game until I turned 30. Have never "quit", but would venture to guess there are three main reasons people would.

1. Money
2. Time
3. Embarrassment.

In my opinion, those that did not grow up with the game have a tough time sticking with it. You might have never failed at anything in your life, been good at every sport you ever tried and still suck at golf. It takes a very secure person to get over that hurdle. With so many things competing for our energy these days, to suck at something that you spend a lot of time and money on becomes a waste.

I agree on money and time. If a person is embarrassed by his play, then he really didn't "take up" golf in the first place and it is no loss when he quits. Unfortunately in the US we have this car culture that has morphed into a golf cart culture. Therefore, many people feel obligated to pay as much as 50% more for their round of golf than they would if they would simply learn the joys of walking. Time, especially when it takes from family time, keeps people away too. I have to wonder if there were a lot of people that started golf with the Tiger excitement, that then started a family and have put golf aside for the time being, and will start again when the empty nest period starts. I know that is what I did.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 01:59:47 PM »

Or spending too much time posting on GCA.com.

Or seeing the course etiquette being more or less ignored

Or wondering what any golfer would want to see courses breaking 6,000 when a simple solution is available to maintain consistence

Or there is so much testosterone in the air at a golf course these days that their wife start have problems with facial hair, which some ladies have said would be fine if they saw some serious improvement in the bedroom performance of their men. But alas satisfaction is not down to the   longer lasting male performance but apparently the new and improved electronic aids which we will apparently not see on a golf course (presume the R&A & USGA are still testing & evaluating). So while some golfers buy a Rangefinder their better half are looking at Wireless Rabbits. So it might be spending all that time in bunkers when on a course or feeling dejected at home may well be the reason to quit.

PS One lady asked me why is it that her husband takes 4-6 hour to play a round of golf with his friends but is always complains about a slow round, then stated that she would love a game with him that took 4-6 hours but he seems to want to win the 100 yards spring in under 10 seconds with her. She apparently does not agree with me on one point and is a dedicated follower of the electronic aids although she wanted me to advise all, that Batteries are not always included.

Do not forget you heard it first on GCA.com

Melvyn

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 02:20:21 PM »

1. Money
2. Time
3. Embarrassment.

I agree on money and time. If a person is embarrassed by his play, then he really didn't "take up" golf in the first place and it is no loss when he quits. Unfortunately in the US we have this car culture that has morphed into a golf cart culture. Therefore, many people feel obligated to pay as much as 50% more for their round of golf than they would if they would simply learn the joys of walking. Time, especially when it takes from family time, keeps people away too. I have to wonder if there were a lot of people that started golf with the Tiger excitement, that then started a family and have put golf aside for the time being, and will start again when the empty nest period starts. I know that is what I did.

That's interesting, because I think embarrassment is a big part of why people quit golf. But, that is true of any sport so your point is valid. Perhaps there needs to be a clarification of what it means to "take up" the game enough in order to "quit". Of the people I have known that have quit golf, only one ever acheived a level of competence before quitting. So my observations are based primarily on guys that quit, but never played to their own anticipated success. Fishing looks awful good to the golf frustrated.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 02:21:29 PM »
Adam,

I would never quit golf of my own accord. I am however being forced into retirement due to time constraints and more importantly expense.

Golf in general does take up too much time for a young(ish) man trying to make a living in a tough economy.

Then I have the problem of the expense of playing golf. There is not a club in our town that I can possibly afford to join. Even if I could afford the initiation, then I could not afford the cart fees every play or the caddies that are mandatory at most clubs in the area.

I wanted to play golf this morning with my brother but neither of us could justify the price to play 18 on a public or semi private course.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Pat Burke

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 02:24:43 PM »
Living in the trenches so to speak.  Running a program that provides free golf lessons, free range balls, and golf for a dollar 7 days per week, my opinion is much more grave.  
The largest issue facing growing the game is the time required to be reasonably able to enjoy it.
Now in past generations, part of the joy was in "figuring it out".  I grew up picking up the range by hitting balls to a bucket in the center of the range.  Learned how to hit lob shots with a 7 iron, or smash hook a SW from too far away.  It was fun to figure out how to do things.
We now (sadly) live in the instant gratification (entitlement) generation.  And it's not just the kids.  Parents can't understand why their kids show no improvement when they never play or practice (for free!).  Kids who master and get bored by a video game in a week, have little attention span to learn this game.
Our program's response has been to invite the kids who have shown EFFORT, both in the golf area, but for us, in our tutoring program as well, into a special program.  They get more instruction with our top instructors, but must meet some time requirements to stay eligible.  They will get free tournaments, matches against other clubs etc.  Funny, we started it this month, and the creativity of finding the time in these kids has been hysterical.  One kid came up saying he couldn't get to the course (parents work).  He explained how he had set up a putting course in his living room after a putting lesson!  He's putting all the time his mom said.
The older kids are now being talked to about "mentoring" the younger kids, in hopes of creating a group that will play, and provide a big brother/sister environment for the little kids whose parents work and can't be there all the time

BUT the entitlement/instant gratification attitude is still an amazing obstacle for a game you never master.

Ben Sims

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 02:43:28 PM »
1)  Folks have stated above, but golf is hard.  Moreso, to be able to go out and enjoy oneself on a golf course takes a lot of time and money.  I have been playing golf for 8 years, never posted a score below 83.  I still lose one to two balls a round--unless I'm at Sheep Ranch :)  My college baseball skills translated to golf about as well as curling to basketball.  What keeps me in it is the courses, the people, travel, and the occasional perfect meeting of forged steel and urethane.

2) Cost.  It takes money to get sticks, get a tee time, practice, etc.  Many folks spend money on skiing while on vacation and usually can get good enough in two days to say they enjoyed it and would spend that money again to ski.  Can golf say the same?  Two days of hitting balls justifies everything one spends to get into the game initially?  I can honestly say that I would enjoy golf much less if I wasn't able to participate in the equipment obsessions, traveling to play great courses, etc.

3) Exposure to the roots and core of what makes it great.  For my first three years of golfing, it was usually riding, usually with a cooler of beer, and usually involved no adherence to etiquette.  Many folks learn golf during college when their athletic careers are over, and it's time to pick up an adult pursuit.  I was no different.  But many of my friends stopped playing because the way we played golf--see above--wasn't fun for them anymore.  How many golfers would we as a golfing community retain if they were exposed to easily walkable, forgiving and fun golf courses with a knowledgeable group of regulars?

4)  Time.  In my opinion, the time spent on one round of golf in the US is killing our game more than any of the above reasons.  People are busy and we live in a fast society.  Who--outside of the core golfer--can justify the now all-day pursuit of golf in America.  How abut this; 10 minutes of chipping and putting, a 3 to 3.5 hour round, one or two drinks at the grill, GO HOME!!  Many spouses and family members would love this shift in paradigm.  

On my honeymoon I played a round at a famous course with a great host.  We hit 10-15 balls and teed off at 0800 or so.  Had a candy bar between the 8th and 9th holes.  Walked up the 18th at 1120.  Quick lunch in the grill.  My host even had time to work a half day after that.  What a concept!!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 02:58:36 PM »
Steve:

Completely agree with the first two elements you mentioned - the cost factor is a big time impediment. Complete new sets are now routinely over $1,000.

The time side is of even greater importance to Generation X and Y. They see golf as being totally disconnected from their hyper speed world.

The final item you mentioned -- embarrassment -- is tied to the overall ineffective teaching process you see today. Handicaps have not fallen for men and women despite the tech gains.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 03:55:48 PM »
Time, time, time.

These are the days of the "soccer parent".  The 1950's would've had the whole family at "the club" for the day.  Today, kids have so many activities (soccer, birthday parties, concerts, etc) that time for golf has gone to nil.

My family didn't have any money growing up, but we spent a LOT of time at the town golf courses.  We picked balls out of the water hazards at night and rode our bikes to the course.  And it probably cost us $100 per year (in the late '70s).    But there weren't any other activities outside my high school football and basketball and backyard ice hockey.

I don't think money is as much of a factor.  You can buy great used sets for 10% of the original asking price.  You can get decent golf balls for $10/dozen.

Lastly, Rory is right about match play.  To me, golf is SO much more fun played at match play.   But I'll tell you - many guys I play in GAP have no idea about how match play works. 

Michael Huber

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 04:05:52 PM »
Dan Hermann makes a great point.

The firm i work at does work for a private club, but my boss is only a social member and I don't think he plays more than one or two times a year.  Why?  He has three kids who play two sports each.  How is he going to find the time to play when he has soccer and baseball and softball and gymnastics and dance?  How can he justify spending more money on a full time membership if he can't find any time to play? 

Mac Plumart

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 04:41:36 PM »
Help me on this...but I don't get the "I don't have time to play" argument.

I am married with two kids and run a business. 

I just popped out for a quick nine holes at my local course...1 hour 30 minutes walking nine with my son. 

Why can't people do that, or things like that, to play once a week.

Cost?  You don't have to join a private club.  Heck, just down the road from me are a variety of public courses ranging from $30 to $70 for 18 holes.

If you don't like the game...I get that.  I tried softball before my legs went bad...and I didn't like it.  I played big time high school baseball for a consistent state championship contending team and to take that mentality to a church softball league simply didn't work.  So I didn't play for long.

I personally think time and cost are excuses for not playing...perhaps they just don't like it.  Golf isn't for everyone.  It requires a tranquil and thoughtful mind.  Self-control.  The acceptance of failure at least a few times a round (Walter Hagen said that he knew he would hit at least  7 bad shots around, so every bad shot he hit didn't phase him as he knew it was coming).  And you have to work at it, if you want to get better.  If you don't work at it, you won't get better.  That is not for everyone.  and that is ok...isn't it?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 07:28:11 PM »
I would think the biggest reason is they are crap. Playing with your mates and being the worst is no fun... hey we are back to THAT WORD. if you are ok and not getting better/enjoying it.... the financial bits would be 2. 3rd on the list perhaps TIME. Somewhere there is someone that gave up because he was briliant, but you might need to go back to 1930 to find him and even he had other reasons pulling at his belt.
Its probaby always going to be hard to keep the chap that tries golf but cant hit a cows ass with a banjo.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jason Topp

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 08:42:58 PM »
A lot of good juniors improve significantly until around age 16 and then improvement does not come as easily anymore.  At that point the difference between a 3 handicap and a tour pro begins to become obvious.  Many bump against that wall for awhile and then burn out.  I have had a lot of fun playing the last few years with such friends who have started playing again in their 40's after a long absence.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 08:55:16 PM »
Call me nuts, but I think losing interest in golf because you can't get your handicap lower than a 3 misses the point of the game.  In fact, some of the miserable people I've witnessed on the golf course are golfers with a 3ish handicap.  Perhaps, they are doing what Jason alludes to...trying to become a Tour player or something along those lines.  But how awful is that.

Paraphrasing John Low, the joy is in the playing...not just the winning.

It is a brilliant game of strategy, self-awareness, self-control, and man vs. nature...man vs. man is okay at appropriate times, but there is so much more to it than that.  

Don't get me wrong, I am trying every time on the golf course to do my best.  Now that my legs are coming around, I am pretty solid in the mid-80's and sneaking into the low 80's again.  But the other day, I shot a 91...5 lost balls...my short game was just a hair off.  But oh well, I didn't get mad...I kept my cool...and hit 86 the next day.

I think I am right on the money to keep Low's phrase in my mind at all times...the joy of golf is in the playing!

But maybe for people who don't share this frame of mind, they won't ever like the game...as the frustration is usually quite high...especially the higher your expectations for your score are.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 09:35:20 PM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

john_stiles

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 09:52:16 PM »
Agree with Mac about the joy of playing, spending time with friends,  and laughing.  The game is fun either as  man vs nature, man versus man, or me versus me.

I have most often heard time and money for those leaving the golf club.

Upon meeting them later, it seems they mostly quit golf at the same time they leave the club.  So, of those two,  time might rank higher than money.   And this is time at a private club, with rounds always less than  4.5 hours, usually less than 4.  Public clubs in my area are usually about 4.5 hours.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 09:58:30 PM by john_stiles »

jim_lewis

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 10:10:24 PM »
The older I get, more and more guys I know quit golf. The primary reasons are:
Death
Injury
illness
Assholes have trouble finding anyone to play with
Sick of not playing nearly as well as they did when they were young
Rather quit than play the short tees
Found a hobby they prefer (fishing)

I know several who would quit tomorrow, if they weren't married.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 10:18:54 PM »
I have played golf for most of my life. I started playing seriously when I was in 7th grade.  I have played on a state level and when I was in my 20s - early 50s, my handicap fluctuated between 2 & 4.  I have won club championships and a few minor tournaments.  There were some years where I played almost 200 times a year (many quick 9 holes after work).  I'd wake up in the morning and couldn't wait for evening to come so I could go play.  i taught my son who loves the game as well.  Some of my favorite times were playing with him.  He lives in MN so I don't get to play with him more than a few times a year.  I live in MD.  I no longer play the back tees and have trouble breaking 80.  I have good friends with whom I play and still love to play.  In the last year or so, I have begun to think about quitting.  My deteriorating skills are hard to accept.  Somehow I either need to get better, lower my expectations, or quit whining.  I have decided that this year I am going to really work on my game.  If I don't get better then....I don't know.
It has nothing to do with architecture.  I think about the money because I wonder if it is worth it, if I continue to play poorly.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

paul cowley

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 10:49:29 PM »
Adam.... I agree.

Golf designers in the recent past have opted for tougher when easier was an option as well.

A decision that didn't help the average player as much as it helped promote the designer's abilities.

We, and golf, are paying for it now.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Ian Andrew

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 11:15:14 PM »
Steve,

An excellent post – I agree with your opinion.

Garland,

I have quit playing before because of embarrassment.

I found myself with a pretty bad case of the yips which began to affect my chipping and finally broke down my self confidence completely. I didn’t have any fun playing golf anymore because I literally couldn’t control my body for a while. The biggest issue for me was the expectations that I “still” had since I was stuck with the memories of a decent game when I was younger.

I eventually had to realize that I will likely never play that good ever again. My bigger issue was getting by the thought that people won’t respect me as an architect unless I play better. The irony is I now love playing much more than I ever did even though I’m not near as good.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2010, 11:16:01 PM »
Does anyone think 14 clubs have anything to do with it? I learned with the beginners set woods 1,3 irons 3,5,7,9, putter. I had to be more creative with fewer clubs. Now it's all formulaic. There's a club for everything. Today I played with 3 wood, 5 iron, lob wedge, and putter. I had a lot of fun and hit some incredible (at least for me) shots. Ever think about how you get your 130 tee shot on a par 3 fronted by a creek with a 5 iron? Ever hit bunt 3 wood to run it between the bunkers onto another short par 3? Ever force yourself to hit hooded lob wedge to get keep it under the tree branches and get your pitch on the green? I wonder if that is not how real golfers are made, instead of the current crop of robots and their full swing after full swing.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back