News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Baldwin

Hi.  Long time listener, first time caller.

First, a big thanks to Ran for letting me in on this fine community and providing a new means of escape from the doldrums of the day.  I'm pretty new to the scene.  I haven't played any of the greats but I have big plans.  I'm mostly here to learn. 

I'm 27, an almost licensed architect (bricks and mortar), was born and raised in Arkansas, and I've lived in Chicago for about 4 years. 

Now, on to business:

I'll be in Portland for a wedding the first week of July.  Time, budget, and girlfriend will allow me only 1 round of golf at Bandon.  Which course do I play?

George Freeman

Welcome Michael from a fellow non-Chicagan living in Chicago!

That is a tough question to answer...It is definitely between Pacific Dunes and Old Macdonald.  I haven't seen any of the finished product of OM, so I'll let others who have chime in.

Cheers,

George
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

PCCraig

Welcome from a Chicagoan living in Chicago.  :)

I would just play 1 round there I would just go with PD. Can't imagine you would feel like you missed out on anything when leaving the parking lot.
H.P.S.

Ronald Montesano

I would go with Old MacDonald...unlike many in this forum, I didn't feel that Pac Dunes was that much greater than Dunes nor Trails.  I enjoyed all three immensely.  Since Old Mac (or EIEIO) is touted by my unnamed and inside source as being the best course he's ever played (and he has played many), I would play it.  After all, everyone who has been there has played the other three; you'll be a wanted man for having played the new course.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sean Leary

Sandpines...

Michael Dugger

4+ hours drive from Portland to Bandon.  You aware of this?

You can't go wrong playing any of the courses....but I'd stick to either PD or BD since they are right on the ocean.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Scott Warren

You have five months up your sleeve: girlfriends can be coerced in that time with enough thoughtful effort!

JMEvensky

You have five months up your sleeve: girlfriends can be coerced in that time with enough thoughtful effort!

Exactly.Think jewelry.

Jim Colton

Chicago in the house.  Welcome.

Admittedly, my first thought after reading was that you need to find a new girlfriend.  Short of that, I would beg, borrow and steal to squeeze five more hours out of your schedule to play OM and PD.  It's half price for the second round, right?

Emil Weber

Pete_Pittock

As a single player you may not have much choice in July. Take whatever they give you as being available. What is your golfing pedigree and how do you like links golf?

JMEvensky

Exactly.Think jewelry.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Well,he said he was only 27.So,I figured I could save him the trouble of learning this the hard way.There's still time for the all important life lesson on cut/clarity of diamonds.

Jim_Kennedy

Michael,
I know the work you went through to get where you are, I saw what my younger son had in front of him as a student in the architecture program at Syracuse and I applaud anyone who gets that job done. Congratulations.

There's a lot of history behind architecture and I'd say that the choice depends on if you think this will be your only visit to BR or your first. If it's the first of several I'd work my way through the courses as they evolved. If I thought it might be my only then I'd probably play the newest.

Have fun.  
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Rob Rigg

Welcome to the site!

As a bit of a tangent, you can drive up to Chambers Bay in 1/2 the time and then your choice would be pretty straight forward. 2.5 hour drive (5 total) versus 4.5 to 5 hour drive (9 - 10 total).

Of course CB is not BGDR (no disrespect to CB).

Since Bandon is such a trek from Rip City (as has been mentioned) if you are heading there, you HAVE to get at least two rounds in (a choice bribe would be well worth the cost) - any two of the four courses would be a good mix. Maybe drive down one aft, stay the night - play 18 real early, lunch, 18 on another course - then head back that evening (you'll be exhausted but it will be worth it).

If you can get two days - then I totally agree with Jim - play the courses in order of construction.

My single course advice would depend on how important playing along the ocean is to you?

If it is very important then PD would be my first choice followed by BD (several all world ocean holes) and OM (where you see it a couple of times).

If the ocean doesn't matter, but you may not be back for a while, then I would play OM, PD, BD, BT in that order - but you can't lose with any of them.

Jud_T

Chicago in the house.  Welcome.

Admittedly, my first thought after reading was that you need to find a new girlfriend.  Short of that, I would beg, borrow and steal to squeeze five more hours out of your schedule to play OM and PD.  It's half price for the second round, right?

This for sure...book it now, you can probably get it done as a single.....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Michael Baldwin

All points well taken.

Thankfully, the girlfriend is reasonable and has been warned that if I go out to play, I might not make it in till supper.  However, I'm going to plan on one round but hope for two.  Perhaps the jewelry could be the final bargaining chip.

As a single player you may not have much choice in July. Take whatever they give you as being available. What is your golfing pedigree and how do you like links golf?

The problem with my golfing pedigree is that I really have none.  I've yet to attain the experience to be able to discern which course is best in this selective situation.  I have no doubt that any of the 4 courses will be lifetime highlights in my golfing career.  That said, I'm a bogey golfer, not terribly long off the tee, and have a tendency to hit a high fade.

Exactly.Think jewelry.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Well,he said he was only 27.So,I figured I could save him the trouble of learning this the hard way.There's still time for the all important life lesson on cut/clarity of diamonds.

See: budget.  Girlfriend of 3 years  now = Fiance soon.

Michael,
I know the work you went through to get where you are, I saw what my younger son had in front of him as a student in the architecture program at Syracuse and I applaud anyone who gets that job done. Congratulations.

Thanks.  It wasn't a picnic for sure.  Syracuse is a good school.  3 of my professors at Arkansas recieved their degrees there.

A few folks have mentioned playing in chronological order which seems appealing as I plan on this being the FIRST, not only, trip to Bandon.

We will be driving from Eugene (sniffing around the L.Arch program for grad school options) to Bandon and likely staying over night in Bandon.

Jud_T

FYI- If there's any flexibility at all, just remember that the two ocean courses can get VERY windy in the afternoon at that time of year, so given the option I'd shoot for an afternoon round on OM (or BT) and a morning round on PD.  I think most folks here would say that BD, while a fun, solid track should be your 4th choice...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 01:45:30 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tim Bert

Play 54, all in the same day.  

Budget: 3 rounds = only 1.5 x cost of 1 round. Hardto find that kind of a deal anywhere!

Time: make the time - add one day to the trip; it is special.

Girlfriend: if she's soon to be your fiancée what better engagement gift than to provide you with a tad bit more rope for one day.

Playing only one round sounds good in theory but if you are traveling this far out of your way playing 3 of the courses is much more efficient than planning and paying for the return trip you will desire.    

cary lichtenstein

This is a very important juncture in your golf life.

You must stand up to your girl friend and man-up.

If she does not understnad, there are other women in the sea who are looking for real men!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jud_T

Hang out for the extra day, get her a massage and a golf lesson.  It'll be well worth the extra dough.....

Michael Baldwin

I'm afraid I've inadvertently cast my innocent and reasonable girlfriend in the wrong light.  She knows this is a big deal and is fully supportive and encouraging of my playing but balked at the notion of a full day left on her own when I informed her, "No...it's not that kind of resort."  

As Jud suggested, I think the massage and golf lesson might tip the balance back to me.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 03:48:50 PM by Michael Baldwin »

Shane Wright

Michael,

Upon entering marriage (7 years ago), a wise man once told me to "Pick and choose your battles."

Go ahead and "Pick" this one and play 36.  I promise she won't break up with you because of it, and I promise you won't regret it.

Welcome to the forum.

Pete_Pittock

Michael,
Based on your description for your game I would order them as 1 - Old Mac; 2- Bandon Dunes; 3 - Pacific Dunes; 4 -  Bandon Trails.
If you are feeling linksy I would switch 2 &3.

Kevin Pallier

Michael

I'd recomemnd Old Mac particularly based on the descroption of your game.

I'd also try and take a quick walk around Pac Dunes if you are pushed for time - to get an idea of something you need to get back to ?

Bandon Trails and Bandon Dunes aren't too shabby either though  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back