News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Chambers Bay Hole 13
« on: February 01, 2010, 12:44:45 PM »

534   Par 5  HDCP 4

Dog leg right. Lay up area is pinched by mounding and bunkering. Small green with difficult up and down if missed.

[iimg]http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv110/BrandyNikole0107/dscn1474.jpg?t=1265043871[/img]

Anthony

Richard Choi

Re: Chambers Bay Hole 13
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:56:08 PM »
Probably the best par 5 on the course, offers a lot of variety.

The landing area is W-I-D-E, probably about 50 or 60 yards. There is a lot of room behind the right mound you see from the tee. Closer you hug that mound, the better shot you will have if you are trying to get there in two. The wind is usually helping from behind.

The safe shot is straight ahead and the landing zone is tilted to the right so you should get a favorable bounce towards the hole. There is a ridge that runs right to away left that if you are long hitter, you can get some additional distance.

The fun is deciding whether or not to go for it on your second shot. The front bunker that runs 30 yards in front of the green will collect almost every indifferent approach shot. If you miss right, it will feed down to the collection area way below the green and you will have a tough up and down.

Even if you decide to lay up, the fairway pinches in really tight about 140 yards from the green. More left you go, you will have a better angle to the green.

There is a front left sideboard that makes it almost impossible to get close to the pin if pin is front left. The smart play actually is to hit the approach long and putt or chip up from there.

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 01:43:15 PM »
I agree with Rich that it is the best par 5 on the course. It looks and feels a lot like 4, which isn't ideal, but it is a good hole.

Matt,  if any wind, it is down wind slightly from the right.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 03:48:21 PM »
Fun tee shot because it brings in the element of chance and a blind shot if you try to take it over the mound. Too far right and you are in nightmaresville but if you are safe then it's a good, but scary, line over the waste bunkers to make the green.

If you are more straight off the tee then you have to take on the big fore bunker, as mentioned, if you want to get there in two and that is really daunting as well.

My favorite thing about the 13th is that it leads to the tee shot at 14 - which is AWESOME!

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 04:21:12 PM »
I have just a few things to add regarding #13, perhaps in contrast to what my friend Rich has suggest regarding smart plays on this hole.  I do agree that this would be my favorite par-5 at Chambers, as well...

The wind, what little "prevailing" breeze there ever is, is not necessarily helping on this hole.  Off the tee, there is a bit more tendency for there to be a right-left breeze that can help a bit, but the biggest help is getting the tee shot down the slot Rich mentioned on the very right of the fairway.  this is absolutely the best angle from which to attack the green, and I think I have only ever seen one player take the aggressive line down the right and get it going down the slope into the waste area through the fairway.

The line off that tee is really the stop sign up on the hill above the course, even though that practically takes away the option of reaching the green.  The most interesting challenge of #13 however is the optical presentation of the fairway approach to the green.  one can stand there and swear that the shot is downhill, and that the gentle wisp of a breeze is helping you because it occasionally feels that way off the tee.  However, the green is actually slightly elevated from the level of the fairway, although admittedly only by a few feet.  The fairway dips down to the centerline bunker and then back up again.  I have witnessed player after player after player come up short in that bunker or hit short and slide down the hill to the low area right...

Therefore one would think that the miss from the fairway is short and left, because it would seem as if that is the play to open up the green.  That is not correct--the front third or so of the green is angled down and to the right, and (as Rich noted) it is almost impossible to keep a chip or short pitch from heading that direction.  Then the back half/two-thirds of the green is angled away from the fairway with a subtle spine down the center so that shots tend to deflect off the back left or the back right instead of stopping.

After many plays, it definitely has turned out to be that the miss (or preferred angle in) is from the right side of the centerline bunker, but because there is almost no room there, the line is actually into the right side of the green or even down into that collection area or better yet--LONG!  Rich is right, the plays back up to the hole (even when it is in the front) and not nearly as difficult as the other way around.

This green also sits in a bit of an exposed bowl, and there seems to be a bit of a "pocket of dead air" to this spot.  The play is to add 10-15 yards from the fairway number and favor the right edge of the green and have at it...

I like this hole so much better than #12, for example, it's not even funny---I think of them as two holes linked together as essentially a "par 8.5" for the better players.  In medal play, if one doesn't birdie at least one, there will be a sense of having let a major chance slip away.  In match play, there are a host of different ways to try to gain an advantage on either...

I feel that #13 requires considerably more "local knowledge" than most of the other holes at Chambers Bay

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 06:38:04 PM »

and the missing pic by Anthony:

Mike Wagner

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 09:49:34 PM »
Agreed with all the NW boys here.....this hole is AWESOME!

Extremely difficult to hold 2nd shot into this green...you really need to (as Rob Rigg brilliantly coined) "get linksy" with it.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 11:01:54 PM »
Wonderful golf hole. As I remember, I won this one from you Anthony!  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 08:40:34 AM »
Wonderful golf hole. As I remember, I won this one from you Anthony!  ;D

With the stroke I had to give you. Or is that nit picking you Tazmanian Devil. I love Steve Carell movies. Making myself unattractive.

Anthony

« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 08:45:25 AM by Anthony Gray »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 11:14:14 AM »
Wonderful golf hole. As I remember, I won this one from you Anthony!  ;D

With the stroke I had to give you. Or is that nit picking you Tazmanian Devil. I love Steve Carell movies. Making myself unattractive.

Anthony

When you go to Lost Farm, don't try to book a ticket to Tazmania like Jordan. Instead book a ticket to the Australian state the above referenced devil is from.

I don't remember the exact scores (did we both par?). I do remember I kept my ball short and below the hole for a birdie attempt while you sent your ball well beyond the hole.

I have always loved this hole even from outside the fence when I first discovered the course before it was open.
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,27342.0/
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jordan Wall

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 08:08:18 PM »
I always love 12 and 13 because there such easy golf holes.  Any decent player should go over the dune on the right and have about a 5-iron in.  Any shot laid up left will have a tough approach because of the big mound on the left side of the green.

This is my favorite par-5 on the course, though I think the first is a harder hole...

Anthony Gray

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 09:42:54 PM »
I always love 12 and 13 because there such easy golf holes.  Any decent player should go over the dune on the right and have about a 5-iron in.  Any shot laid up left will have a tough approach because of the big mound on the left side of the green.

This is my favorite par-5 on the course, though I think the first is a harder hole...

Jordan,

I agree with you. I think 12 and 13 will add to the drama of the US open. If the pros don't birdie both or at least one they have lost one or two to the field. More and more I believe that it is worthy of a major.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back