News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Shefchik

Thanks for the leadership, Phil
« on: January 31, 2010, 12:21:03 PM »
While I disagree with Scott McCarren's characterization of Phil Mickelson as a cheater, I'm not the least bit sympathetic about Phil's situation.

With Tiger AWOL, the tour turned to Mickelson as its obvious new figurehead. What was his first act? To put a wedge in his bag that, while technically legal, clearly contradicts the spirit of the new groove ruling. It should be obvious to everyone that the Tour is trying to find a way to rein in bomb-and-gouge golf, for the protection of classic courses and the betterment of its product. Phil's reaction? I see a loophole here, and if it helps me win a few more bucks, screw the intent of the new rule.

With leaders like Phil, no wonder golf is in trouble.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jason Walker

Re: Thanks for the leadership, Phil
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 12:25:31 PM »
Rick-

Technically legal equals LEGAL.  There's no such thing as 'spirit', it's either approved or it is not.  And in this case, the club in question is APPROVED.

End of discussion.  This has nothing to do with leadership, loopholes, or what is more likely the case, Phil spitting on the guys in Ponte Vedra.

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 12:26:17 PM »
McCarron putts with a broomstick, does he not?

What was that about "within the rules, but against the spirit of the game"?

Mike Wagner

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 12:28:20 PM »
Rick,

I can't agree with anything here.  First of all, it's legal.  I see your point, but it's legal...end of story.

Second, to imply that golf is in trouble because of "leaders like Phil" is absurd.  Golf is in trouble for a lot of reasons, but this isn't one of them.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 12:31:51 PM »
If every player on the PGA tour finds an old Ping wedge and puts it in their bag, what was the point of the ruling?
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 12:40:51 PM »
Rick,

I go back to Tiger & moving the buolder. THAT was clearly against the spirit of the "movable/immovable object" rule. It was ONLY moved because the GALLERY did it for him. Tiger, at the very least, should have been one of those risking huis back so that he could have played his next shot, but he wasn't. If the player himself can't move the object on his own, then it must be considered immovable. Yet, that image has become part of th e folklore of the game and added to the aura of all things Tiger. It was considered legal to do & so should be accepted and not challenged as against any so-called "spirit of the rules."

Sorry, but what Phil, and others, have LEGALLY done likewise is NOT against any SPIRIT of the rules...

Just my mild opinion there...  :)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 12:41:24 PM »
I think this whole phenomenon will end as the companies who sponsor these guys start threatening to pull back the coinage. It won't be long before Callaway is going to come looking for some of that 50 million it paid him, and even if he didn't sign to play their wedges his use of a Ping product is giving too much name recognition to Ping, and Ping's not paying him.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Michael Huber

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 12:43:30 PM »
Whoever let this loophole hang around is at fault, not Phil. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 12:47:14 PM »
Rick,

As one who started this thread, I can see where you are coming from in terms of initially thinking Phil was "not doing the right thing".  But since then I've heard enough explanation and clarification to beleive that in no way is Phil in the wrong. 

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43014.0/

And for whatever its worth, CBS released a statement on air yesterday from the PGA that said anyone using those clubs was well within the guidelines of the new rules.....so thats good enough for me.  ;)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 12:47:20 PM »
.....and I think it should be noted that even though Ping had a 23 year monopoly on Tour of being the only wedge with grooves that 'stopped' the ball from anywhere, they weren't being used in any appreciable amount.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 12:48:56 PM »
Here's what Phil had to say: "To change something that has this kind of loophole is nuts. But it's not up to me or any other player to interpret what the rule is or the spirit of the rule."

Could it be more clear what the spirit of the rule is?

Jason Walker

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 12:59:26 PM »
Rick-
I think you're missing the point here.  Phil was COMPLETELY within the rules of golf and the PGA Tour to put that club into play.  It appears now that he was doing this (with the support from Callaway) to thumb his nose at the PGA Tour.  But him using the club in no way violates any rule or the so-called 'spirit' of the rule.  Again, it's either legal or it is not.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 01:07:06 PM »
I'm not missing the point. I know it's legal. I believe Phil could have set a good example for his lesser Tour brethren by supporting the Tour's intention in this matter. But nobody seems to believe that leadership should be expected of a superstar like Phil, just advantage-seeking, like anyone else. I'm disappointed.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 01:12:31 PM »
Putting a line on the ball to line up putt... against the spirit...legal

Long putters... against the spirit... legal

Belly putters... against the spirit... legal

Putting like crocket like Sam Snead did... was against the spirit... but legal at the time

Lawson little won championship with 31 clubs... was against the spirit but legal at the time.

Throwing clubs into the spectators... against the spirit... legal (although a player with some guts could have said that it was a "severe breach of etiquette", that it was disrupting his play and have Tiger disqualified)

There is line, the line says those wedges are in... then they are in. If you don't like it, change the line. Don't blame Phil or anyone else.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 01:17:36 PM »
It's like every time these guys are looking for a relief...

if Tiger had those wedge, what would people say: See how smart this guy is, he has studied all the rules and really utilize whatever he can to get an advantage, that's a smart competitive move.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 01:20:09 PM »
It's like every time these guys are looking for a relief...

if Tiger had those wedge, what would people say: See how smart this guy is, he has studied all the rules and really utilize whatever he can to get an advantage, that's a smart competitive move.

B.S., Philippe. I'm disappointed in Phil, and I'd have been just as disappointed in Tiger. I really wish we knew what he would have done in this situation. I guess we'll find out sooner or later.

But I think I know what Bobby Jones, Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus would have done.

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 01:23:36 PM »
If every player on the PGA tour finds an old Ping wedge and puts it in their bag, what was the point of the ruling?

First of all,
Phil played those wedges for years as have I.
I even have an eye-2 wedge with v-grooves of 1984 vintage.
It stinks that eye-2 wedges have now become collectors items (more so than ever)so I guess I won't be buying anymore as I have for years (because I like the bounce-not the grooves which are virtually smooth on my wedges due to wear)

McCarron thinks it's OK to cheat with a putter longer than his driver, but not for Phil to use legal wedges.
That's rich..........
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sam Morrow

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 01:32:37 PM »
Why didn't anyone say anything the last couple of weeks when guys like Daly and I think Dean Wilson had them in the bag?

Brent Hutto

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 01:59:30 PM »
I am much more concerned about seeing the top players keep the "spirit" of the Rules in how they play the game than I am about what implements they use. If there's nothing wrong with putting with the putter anchored on your chest, fiddling around on the putting green with all manner of lines and whatnot on your golf ball, having caddies line up the player and the clubface before each shot, handle the golf ball and improve their lie any time the ground is the least bit wet and get "relief" and "rulings" any time there's the remotest chance they might gain an advantage...

...there's certainly nothing wrong with using a wedge that the Rules specifically name as being legal. Gimme a break.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 02:05:13 PM »
I am much more concerned about seeing the top players keep the "spirit" of the Rules in how they play the game than I am about what implements they use. If there's nothing wrong with putting with the putter anchored on your chest, fiddling around on the putting green with all manner of lines and whatnot on your golf ball, having caddies line up the player and the clubface before each shot, handle the golf ball and improve their lie any time the ground is the least bit wet and get "relief" and "rulings" any time there's the remotest chance they might gain an advantage...

...there's certainly nothing wrong with using a wedge that the Rules specifically name as being legal. Gimme a break.

Brent, every one of the practices you prefer to has been considered in great detail, with the Tour ultimately ruling, despite wide disagreement, that they fall within the rules. In other words, the Tour has decreed that, like them or not, they are now part of the game.

When it comes to U grooves, the Tour decreed last year that they are NOT part of the game -- couldn't be much clearer. Phil and others found a loophole. I believe the tour's current marquee player should be above that.

Jason Walker

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 02:23:41 PM »
I'm by no means a big poster here, but today I'm finding myself defending two people I really don't care that much for--Trump and Phil.

Rick--when your accountant calls you and says "I worked my butt off all weekend and I think I found a completely legal but little-used deduction that should save you $2500 on your taxes", what do you say?  "No thanks, my country is in a financial pickle, I can't in good conscience do that because that's not the intent of that particular tax law"?  No, of course you don't.

Quit jammering about how Phil should be above this.  First off, I completely believe he's doing this to needle the PGA Tour, and I believe he's probably doing this with Callaway's support.  Second, for the umpteenth time, he's WELL WITHIN THE RULES OF THE GAME here.

JC Jones

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 02:28:48 PM »
But I think I know what Bobby Jones, Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus would have done.

This is a ridiculous statement.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 02:30:34 PM »

This is a ridiculous statement.

JC -- Why?

Golf leadership in the Bobby Jones era: “Why did I call a penalty on myself when no one saw it? You might as well ask me why I didn’t rob a bank.”

Golf leadership in the Phil Mickelson era: “Someone left the bank vault open. It was a foolish thing to do, and I don’t agree with it. But you don’t expect me not to walk in and take my share, do you?”

Alex Miller

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 02:33:12 PM »
One man stopped playing to help his wife and mother deal with breast cancer, and he's replacing a guy who's out because he abandoned his wife and children by engaging in regretful "transgressions".

Phil will always have my respect, he's a good guy and has been a gracious loser (Winged Foot). This is a blip in terms of characterizing him as a good or bad leader/guy.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 02:43:53 PM »

Rick:

Can you provide a specific example of a time when Mr. Jones, Mr. Palmer, or Mr. Nicklaus did not use a rule to his advantage in order to preserve the "spirit of the game?"

WW
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 02:46:11 PM by wwhitehead »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back