News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: Starting Thurs., 1/28/10 - Get To Know Steve Curry
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 02:53:05 PM »
Steve,

I've always wondered, what does a super of a northern course do in the winter?

I'm curious to learn a bit of this as well. As I recall, you had said a little while ago that you needed to put the course to bed for the winter - what does that entail?

I remember being at a February USGA meeting here in the Burgh and a speaker commented to many of the supers in attendance that they were surely loving the amount of snow we had that winter (I think it was '01-'02 - this year has seen a lot of snow here as well). It was something I hadn't really considered. I'm probably not the only ignorant golfer that thinks of rain as rain and snow as snow. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Steve Curry

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 06:26:22 PM »
Steve,

I've always wondered, what does a super of a northern course do in the winter?
Very busy, reports of the last season, budgeting, Tree work, education and we have this snow crap to deal with.  We go through all of the course stuff, sand and paint and go through all of the equipment.  Much needed regrouping for the next war.

Given the present economic conditions, though I don't know whether it's affected your club, do you have any plans to cut your budget?  If so, is it better to cut labor, water, fertilizers or something else?
Labor is the biggest nut in our budgets so it has felt the brunt and we have just pulled the belt up tight on everything.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 06:55:12 PM »
What is wrong with - greenkeeper?
Cave Nil Vino

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 06:56:37 PM »
Steve,
really great to have you around here.

Q1 I can't remember if you've ever said you've been in Europe/UK/SCOTLAND. Please elucidate...maybe more Q's to follow.

Q2 Did Nuzzo win the money off you too?? ;D

V, V Best,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Steve Curry

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 04:52:34 AM »
Stevo

I can't seem to recall that shot of Mahaffey's....
It was one of the most difficult on the course.
He was so far out of position I thought he'd be lucky to make a 4 not a 2.
I'm waiting for your return for our rematch - I was surprised how good the new beer tasted recently.

Hey Mike we do need keep Don grounded but it was a great shot and I want to get back to see you and look forward to visiting you latest project and "new beer"?

How old is your maintenance facility?

we have a samll village that ranges from the 40's, old building, 70's, main building and a number of newer out buildings for chem storage and pumphouse.

Have you found some old, old things?

Have not had time to start digging but along those lines my irrigation pond was I am told the ice supply in town in the early days.  And there appears to be an ice house where my pumpouse and fourth tee currently sit in the aerial from the 20's

Dig up anything weird?

Last year one of my guys pulled a safe out of one of the ponds, nothing too exciting yet though...

How are the members treating you?
The membership has been fantastic, great people.

How much do you play there?
Not nearly enough, maybe 4-5 times in 09

A highlight for me in New Orleans last year was seeing you enjoying yourself at the Turfnet evening.
I do enjoy myself at times

Thank you for your comments about Wolf Point.
That was a great weekend.

Well deserved.

Last question in this post...
Where do you take your early morning walks?

Preferably, Port Lavaca, typically around the course before work, these days in the dark

Steve Curry

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2010, 05:07:48 AM »

1. What is the best course you have played/seen?
Pine Valley - I have to say though I have had the great fortune in the last couple of years to play some amazing courses and speak often of Wolfpoint and Sankaty Head.  The list is long thank God.
2. How do you think greenkeeping will progress in the future?

"progress"? digress - Depends largely on what the furture brings if the water shortages come as prophets suggest we will likey progress back to the origins of the game

3. It might not be the place (and I don't want this turning into a political slugging-match) yet I am studying American politics, and considering your history what do you think of Obama’s Healthcare reforms?
I love the theory but feel we need to slow the spending growth
Thanks.

All the Best;

Matthew

Troy Alderson

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 09:58:16 AM »
Hi Steve,

How do you determine your watering program and scheduling?

What is your basic fertilizer program?

What is you basic aeration program?

Troy

Steve Curry

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 06:21:36 PM »
Hi Steve,

How do you determine your watering program and scheduling?
This may sound flip, but it is what it is, when it doesn't rain and it doesn't look like it will any time soon.  On greens this may be adjusted based on stess and heat.
What is your basic fertilizer program?
Organic with ammonium sulfate early and late for acidity - on fwys and Tees
Organic and regular in season liquid fertilizer for consistency - on greens
The fertility progarm is far more involved but that serves as a synopsis

What is you basic aeration program?
As often as they let me.  Turf needs air like we do, so we want it to have lungs!

Troy

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2010, 07:29:18 PM »
Steve,

Are you aware that you share a name with a very amusing Australian Actor, who played 'Dale Kerrigan' in the great Australian Comedy 'The Castle' ?

Steve Curry

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2010, 08:42:30 PM »
Steve,

Are you aware that you share a name with a very amusing Australian Actor, who played 'Dale Kerrigan' in the great Australian Comedy 'The Castle' ?
No, but cool, I guess?

Steve Curry

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2010, 08:46:07 PM »
What is wrong with - greenkeeper?
Nothing, I like, Keeper of the Green, the old yankee in me likes the ring of "the green"

Steve Curry

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2010, 09:05:45 PM »
Steve,
really great to have you around here.

Q1 I can't remember if you've ever said you've been in Europe/UK/SCOTLAND. Please elucidate...maybe more Q's to follow.

I was on the volunteer staff for the Ryder Cup at the K-Club and have been to Dublin for a rugby match and Spain but played no golf on that side of the pond, sadly.

Q2 Did Nuzzo win the money off you too?? ;D
The only money I can recall was for food, the aforementioned pints ease all wounds.

V, V Best,
FBD.

Steve Curry

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2010, 09:09:19 PM »
Steve, when you got on the GCA.com site and started reading threads and posts, did you find that superintendents were indeed being "trashed?"

I haven't really found that to be the case but I've only been on here about 8 years.   ;)  What are your thoughts, do you still find supers being trashed here?
When I was chairman of the golf and green committee at our club, I used to take our young superintendent into the office and log onto GCA.com so I could show him photos of how the grass around fairway bunkers really SHOULD be cut at fairway length.  It wasn't easy to find examples, but I usually post a photo of #12 (Open routing) at Hoylake as an example of how it ought to be.   What are your thoughts about this look?

Hi Bill, sorry I missed this question first go around, I love that look.

We definitely share a love of Wolf Point, the best new course I've played since Pacific Dunes.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2010, 10:21:54 PM »
Steve,

Sorry to come late to the party, but it's good to have you appropriately acknowledged and familiarized with the crowd here.

Hoping you're well,

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Steve Curry

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2010, 06:35:04 PM »
Steve,

Sorry to come late to the party, but it's good to have you appropriately acknowledged and familiarized with the crowd here.

Hoping you're well,
Thanks Joe, well and everything in your world?  We really missed having you last year.

Joe

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back