News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

A litte more on golf photography...
« on: January 25, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
Unfortunately, I arrived at the scene of the wreck too late today, and didn't get a chance to pose my question to Aidan.  But, I thought my question was good enough to continue on Aidan's invite to ask him via e-mail.  I asked:

Have you ever worked with cinematography or videography?  Have you seen any work in those areas that really captured your attention and inspired you to try it?  Those examples could run from the cinematography like in the movie “Bagger Vance” to HD camera work during some of the majors or like recently the HD by Golf Channel in Hawaii, where it seems the cameramen often get off the action on course and do some contrasting scene shots from the course to off shore and whales surfacing and splashing. 

Frankly, one of the most interesting concepts that make me imagine all the posibilities would be a documentary series on the history of golf architecture or golf development migrating out of the ‘old sod’ and onto the several other continents that it has taken hold.  To do that presentation, Ken Burns style, with a mix of videography, cinematography and photography as Burns does blend in his documentaries, would seem to me to be a great project.

I wonder if any others like Davd Scaletti or other photographer buffs on this site, and those of you who like to dabble with new HD video cams, and you U-tubers, have been looking for more avenues to exess your artistic side's with video as opposed to photos.

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

Re: A litte more on golf photography...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 05:10:33 PM »
BTW, Aidan informs me that as of yet, he hasn't experimented with video or cinema.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 05:48:05 PM »
Scott Wilson
http://www.flagstickfilms.com/

Scott is a great guy - we've had beers.
He was the video guy for the Wandering Golfer.

His work is beautiful.
He has a great sense of composition like the excellent golf photographers.
His St. Andrews film is stunning.

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 01:26:22 AM »
EXcellent Mike!  That is what I have in mind.  Yes, Flagstick has an informercial favor to all his videos, but like the scenic clips or the Tullybannocher video, one can see the huge potential in the cinema-video approach.  I noted that the courses list with the stills are shots taken from the HD video.  My computer screen doesn't look as good as my large HD screen TV, but the medium for this sort of thing seems like it is the way we will examine GCA in the future.  We already have had very fun pieces form Gil Hanse about the course they did in Scotland, where they chronicaled the on-going work.  If the quality of the HD is good, we can have the added voice over explanations of what the videographer wants to call to our attention.  With narrative and great scenes, I think this can exceed the power of the still photos eventually.  Right now, great photos still have the high seat of photographic art.  But, I think with the HD world just in the early stages, and 3D looming, that will be where all the artistic action will go. 

Of course there have been great artist cinematographers for a very long time, as well as highly praised videographers.  But, I can imagine a time when people will go to a gallery like we now go to see stills hanging, and their will be HD and maybe 3-D screens all over, and shorts of all manner of artistic subjects, shot with all manner of video techniques.

But, you don't surprise me Mike, being the old rocket scientist you are.  ;) ;D 8)  You were probably all over this years ago already.

The future is so bright, I think we'll have to where 3-D glasses. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back