News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: High Point's 18th Hole - Confessions of a Doak Colon Boy
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 10:30:31 AM »
Conceptually, isn't it the same as 18 at The Rawls?

Adam,

It would seem it does have some simliarities..

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 10:32:14 AM by Kalen Braley »

jonathan_becker

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 10:37:50 AM »
How long is HP #18 from the back tee?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2010, 10:51:55 AM »
How long is HP #18 from the back tee?

Jonathon good question,

Using Google Earth...straight as the crow flies, its only 390 yards.  But the effective yardage as one playing it in 3 shots to get home is about 480-490.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 10:59:47 AM »
Thanks Kalen,

It seems like if you played here every day, the possibilities for 3s and 10s on this hole are endless. 

At the very least,  it will make for an interesting conclusion if you've got a close match standing on the tee.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 11:12:58 AM »
Thanks Kalen,

It seems like if you played here every day, the possibilities for 3s and 10s on this hole are endless. 

At the very least,  it will make for an interesting conclusion if you've got a close match standing on the tee.

Well not so much anymore...the course is NLE....and I don't think its coming back.

JC Jones

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2010, 11:15:29 AM »
yes the carry over the water is only 220, but that is from the edge of the fairway.  Which requires a 220 carry over wetlands to get to.  if you play somewhat safe out to the right.  You really have no chance so you have to play a mid-iron to the other fairway and wedge in.  There really arent any options which makes the hole un-inspiring architecturally.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2010, 07:05:36 PM »
Basically it's more a mind thing

the reason why people don't like the only is that:

1) it's a par 5 where you have to play for position off the tee with a 3 wood or a long iron

and

2) if you don't place yourself on the perfect spot off the tee, you end up with a 250 + over water second shot

so it end up being a 490 yards hole where you need to play a perfect layup off the tee to hit it in two!!! weird

safe way to play the hole:
3-iron / 7 iron / wedge: boring on a hole you know you can hit in 2

Tom_Doak

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 08:53:52 PM »
Phillippe:

It was not as easy as you just described.  With the angles of the various hazards, if you laid up safely to the right off the tee, you had a very difficult shot back to the left-hand fairway on the second shot ... at least a well-struck 4-iron or 5-iron for me, which meant a hybrid club for many.  In fact I played with more than one person who laid up off the tee and then had to LAY UP AGAIN because they were unsure of carrying to the second half of the fairway; and for every player who laid up their second shot, there were a couple more who should have laid up but hit into the water instead.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2010, 01:59:17 AM »
Jack - did you really think the property was that iffy?  I guess it just goes to show how people see thing differently.  The property is all sand, and the front and back nines have nice contrast; the front reminds me of an open Long Island style, while the back is you typical northern Michigan woodland.  Although I don't get to the mitten much, I would love to see this course reopen and return to its fescue roots. ;)

I took a bunch of pictures at High Point.  18 was bad enough that I decided to leave the camera in the bag.
As I recall you pumped 2 in the H2O and your camera was almost next.  ;) This couse is the least favorite of Doaks designs I've played. To be fair I must mention that Pacific Dunes and Ballyneal are the others I've played. 18th is just a bad hole but the property was kind of iffy as I recall.                                   Jack

Tim Bert

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2010, 08:57:08 AM »
I thought Jack was saying the property where #18 was routed was iffy as opposed to your interpretation that he meant the entire course, but I could be wrong. 

Steve Lang

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2010, 01:18:20 PM »
 8)

How jaded to criticize a 240 yd carry that has to be hit accurately.. either straight or with a controlled or wild draw or a slight fade.. or the simple need to hit three golf shots to get to favored distances/on the green and get it in the hole in one or two..  ::)

We always looked forward to the 18th for ball-fishing in the wetlands (weeds area usually) and then on the shoreline all the way to the green..   :o  .. must be all those perfect golfers that had no architectural challenge on the hole  :-[

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

J_ Crisham

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2010, 10:22:12 PM »
Jack - did you really think the property was that iffy?  I guess it just goes to show how people see thing differently.  The property is all sand, and the front and back nines have nice contrast; the front reminds me of an open Long Island style, while the back is you typical northern Michigan woodland.  Although I don't get to the mitten much, I would love to see this course reopen and return to its fescue roots. ;)

I took a bunch of pictures at High Point.  18 was bad enough that I decided to leave the camera in the bag.
As I recall you pumped 2 in the H2O and your camera was almost next.  ;) This couse is the least favorite of Doaks designs I've played. To be fair I must mention that Pacific Dunes and Ballyneal are the others I've played. 18th is just a bad hole but the property was kind of iffy as I recall.                                   Jack
Brent,  My comment was specific to the area that comprises the 18th hole. It was rather boggy. It is what it is. As far as the overall course I would give it a 5. Keep in mind that I would have a hard time playing it again over the others of note in the area such as  Crystal Downs and The Kingsley Club. Just my opinnion.    Jack

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2010, 06:17:12 PM »
I played High Pointe back in June 2006 on a whim. We were staying at the Grand Traverse Resort and they messed up our package, it seems that the lowly Spruce Run Course was supposed to be included, but they wanted like $90 extra to play it. We passed, and drove a few miles up the street and played High Pointe instead. Good choice indeed.

I enjoyed the openness of the front 9 and was perplexed by 4-5 holes that appeared tight on the back. In retrospect, they were probably not so tight at all, just an illusion after playing the wide open front 9. By the way, it was a great day of golf; an early 9 holes on the back 9 of the Wolverine Course, followed by 18 at Highpointe and a 4pm tee time at Arcadia Bluffs.

PS: I did not mind the 18th at Highpointe; it demands a great drive, is well guarded by the pond if you have a poor tee shot. I had a LUCKY birdie there as well!

Here are a few pictures of the 18th I shot that day..if you like, I can post more...

Rich
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:20:25 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Jud_T

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2010, 06:55:53 PM »
This is just bumming me out that I won't be able to play it this summer.... :'(
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2010, 07:55:42 PM »
This is just bumming me out that I won't be able to play it this summer.... :'(

Me too, as I will be in Traverse City for a week at some point during the summer....
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back