News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

What is your favorite hole at National and why
« on: January 13, 2010, 10:17:12 PM »
So thanks to ___________ _________I got to play NGLA and will be back again, and not just because of the cold lolbster app, the mac and cheese and the soup of the day.

Talk about giving a starving man a menu, but do you have a favorite hole?  If so why?  I know that naybe it changes from play-to-play, but let's kick it around...

I have a hard time picking, but I'll go with 3.  The alps hole has a blind shot, demands a great drive, a great second shot which is blind (woo hoo hoo!), and a solid putting stroke.  Show no fear! (or is it...show no pain?)

Honorable mention = 18!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Tom_Doak

Re: What is your favorite hole at National and why
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 10:26:26 PM »
Jay:  You played National in January?  Some friend!   :P

I would not pick them as the best holes at National, but my favorite holes there are the 16th and 17th.  The landing area for the tee shot on 16, the grandeur of the punchbowl, and the great windmill are all features that no other course can duplicate; and the 17th is just the prettiest background for a golf hole I've ever seen.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 10:32:46 PM »
17th is mine, for the strategic options on that hole with the incredible view behind.  18 was rather anticlimactic after that 17th hole.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 10:34:52 PM »
Jay,

Par 3      # 6
Par 4      # 8
Par 5      # 18

Tom Doak,

It's hard to believe that amateur golfers are now driving the 17th green and that many amateur golfer now drive the ball past the bowls on # 16, thus thwarting the architecture to a good degree.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 10:37:03 PM »
The very first hole.

Nothing the rest of the way quite shocks and surprises as much as seeing that uniquely rollicking first green while your knuckles start regaining a pink color a minute or two after the pitch.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 10:38:24 PM »

The approach shot and green is the best in golf. 

So simple off the tee....but the approach is tricky and the green is crazy good.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 10:40:58 PM »
Redan for par 3 and 16 for par 4

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 12:14:38 AM »
16 is my favorite.  I also really liked 6.  Easily my favorite par three thanks to a world class green.

Michael Robin

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 01:41:06 AM »
There is nothing quite like standing and looking at The Alps for the first time. I played it one day and wandered all over it the next and was just fascinated by every inch of it, from its intimidation/confusion/options where to drive it from the tee to all of its blind and hidden elements. I just thought it was the most unique hole I had ever played. So happy that many people will get to experience an Alps hole at Old Macdonald, which is currently my favorite hole on that course too.

I also loved Narrows too. Great driving hole with increasing sneaky difficulty as the hole progresses.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 08:13:40 AM »

16 and 17 are nice choices, despite going birdie,birdie on them,my favorite is The Short 6th. The green is a large target with alot of movement and interest. I like the elevated tee view and the green looks impossible to miss. Once on the green it the fun increases.

Anthony

John Mayhugh

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 08:22:19 AM »
In the fantasy course thread, my first hole drafted was #1 at NGLA, so I guess I would say that.  What a way to start a round.  Huge variety of ways to play the tee shot, then a really tricky (at least for me) approach to a wild green.  The perfect introduction to the course. 

Miichael Robin is spot on about the third as well.  Hard to describe the sensory overload you get when you crest the hill & see this:

But if I like those two so much, why is the background on my computer desktop of the 17th?  Too many great holes to select just one or two.  Tough question, Jay.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 08:28:58 AM »
For me, it was Alps (#3). I recall standing on the green, looking back at the fairway and the greensite itself and just thinking about all that would happen to me on this hole if I played it on a regular basis. Just blew me away.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Jim Franklin

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 09:39:20 AM »
Where do you start? My favorite hole would be #3. I love the blind approach. But I could play any hole there and be happy. I love the opening tee shot all the way to the second shot on #18 trying to close with an eagle. Awesome place.
Mr Hurricane

George_Bahto

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 10:09:10 AM »
It is absolutely amazing so many people like the Alps best
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Scott Szabo

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 11:16:09 AM »
Unfortunately, one would have to PLAY the National to be able to have a favorite hole  :D
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 11:35:37 AM »

My number #1 draft pick. I was shocked it slid to 3rd overall.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 11:43:33 AM »
It is interesting to me that so many are pointing to the Alps and the Punchbowl as their favorite holes - is it because they don't play the course regularly and thought they were fun?  I have only played the course once and the entire experience is just the absolute best, but are blind shots going to be one's favorites in the long run?  Are you going to like climbing up to see the hole location on the Alps; are you going to be pleased that the best shot is not always rewarded on the Punchbowl?  Yes, they are wonderful holes but I really wonder if they are viewed by the person who plays the course on a regular basis to be the best. Perhaps Pat Mucci's choice of other holes says something.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 01:11:58 PM »
Jay:  You played National in January?  Some friend!   :P

I would not pick them as the best holes at National, but my favorite holes there are the 16th and 17th.  The landing area for the tee shot on 16, the grandeur of the punchbowl, and the great windmill are all features that no other course can duplicate; and the 17th is just the prettiest background for a golf hole I've ever seen.

Not in January, but a freezing rainstorm in October!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 02:05:17 PM »
I have only played the course once and the entire experience is just the absolute best, but are blind shots going to be one's favorites in the long run?  Are you going to like climbing up to see the hole location on the Alps; are you going to be pleased that the best shot is not always rewarded on the Punchbowl?  

Jerry,

Because they afford the opportunity for a variety of occurrences with each play, your questions define precisely why these holes are my favorite.

Wyatt

Anthony Gray

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 02:28:54 PM »

The original Alps at Prestwick I like much better. At NGLA it is the third hole in a row where you have shots and never see your ball land. Also the original give you someting better to aim at.

Anthony

John Shimp

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 08:19:31 PM »
8 although i made a mess on it.  Couldn't pick a line off the tee.  Went in the middle bunker.  Made a quick 6 with effort.  Tough back left flag that day.  Liked 3 too but really tough hole to hit approach for a first time player.

Tim Bert

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 09:16:43 PM »
Based solely on Mr. Mayhugh's beautiful photos, I must say I lean toward liking them all equally well.

Having not played the original Alps, drafting the Yale Alps, and seeing pictures of the 3rd at NGLA, I would have to think it would be in serious contention. Every time I see the photo of the 3rd fairway I am dumbfounded that the green is actually up and to the left. 

John Mayhugh

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 10:39:47 PM »
At NGLA it is the third hole in a row where you have shots and never see your ball land.

Did you play just one round there or go around a second time?  I guess I was familiar enough with the holes having worn out my copy of Evangelist, so the only thing missing was actually seeing the ball land.  If you hadn't studied the course beforehand, I can see some "what the hell?" moments, though.

Given the incredible amount of width out there, I found the blindness a bit of a thrill.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 04:27:29 AM »

8 although i made a mess on it.  Couldn't pick a line off the tee.  Went in the middle bunker.  Made a quick 6 with effort.  Tough back left flag that day.

John,

That green has some amazing hole locations.
Sometimes, when you're in the fairway, looking at the green, you could swear that the flag is suspended in the air to the right of the green.  It's one of the most frightening looking hole locations I've ever seen.

And, when the hole is located in the front of the green, most shots hit short of the hole will spin back, off the green and down into the fronting bunker.

I thnk it's one of the great holes in golf.
However, despite its wonderful playing characteristics, it's a hole where hi-tech balls and equipment can obliterate the function of its architectural features and their relationship to one another

Liked 3 too but really tough hole to hit approach for a first time player.

It doesn't get much easier with repeat play  ;D   ;D

Ed Oden

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 10:52:16 AM »
I have only played NGLA once.  I have no idea what my favorite hole is or which is the best since those are such fleeting qualities to me.  Ask me 5 minutes apart and you will likely get a different answer, which is a testament to the incredible brilliance of both the individual holes and their collective whole.  But I can say with complete certainty that 3+ years after that great day, #3 is hands down the most memorable hole.  I think about it more than any other hole at NGLA.  Its just so damn unique. Nothing else like it.  Perhaps if I played there every day, that uniqueness might wear off.  Doubtful, but possible.   However, since I have no reasonable expectation of ever returning, those memories will likely remain my deciding factor.  And if I am lucky enough to play NGLA again, I will look forward #3 more than any other hole.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back