News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Blake

challenges AND comforts
« on: January 13, 2010, 03:07:07 PM »
I recently saw a Charlie Rose rerun with guest Paul Goldberger, the architecture critic for The New  Yorker.  He mentioned a reason why so and so's work is great and unique is because it 'challenges and comforts.'

The parallels to GCA are apparant and I began to think of courses I had played that did just that. Bandon Trails immediately came to mind.  I remember a feeling of comfort and peace while playing.  And it's certainly most challenging.  (Conversely, a course that is most challenging yet not comforting at all to me is Bethpage Black.  Downright scary.)

I also remember Wayne desciribing some of Flynn's deceptive bunker work (perhaps at Indian Creek) where the player thougt a bunker was further or shorter than it seemed.  When in fact its distance was right in the player's wheelhouse.  Seems like a case of challenge BY comfort.  I felt that way a few times at Wolf Point with the wide fairways and deceptive bunkers.

What courses have you played where you felt challenged AND comforted?  How about challenged BY comforted?
Also, besides wide fairways and deceptive bunker placement, what are some design techniques used to create comfort?

Ross Tuddenham

Re: challenges AND comforts
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 03:14:46 PM »
When you talk about feeling comforted do you mean the physical natural surroundings making you feel at piece or architectural features of the course suiting the type of shots you like to play?

Michael Rossi

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 03:22:34 PM »
Your post brought a smile to my face when I thought of what course has imposed the feeling you are describing.

Jasper Park brought those emotions for me. Comfort first followed by challenge. I'm not sure why? Walking to the first tee I felt calm and relaxed the course unfolded as my son and I played with 2 regulars. And when it was all over we wished we could have started again. For me it was the thought I could do better and wanted to "challenge" the course again.

Can't wait to return.

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/canada/jasperpark1

Michael Blake

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 03:43:44 PM »
Ross,

I guess both.

Extreme example: On one tee at WP the movement of the hole flowed to the left. A playing partner said he felt like he was in Africa. It was so peaceful that I 'felt' I could absolutely hit a draw off the tee.  That seemed like the 'right' shot even though I have trouble doing so.  The hole simply made me 'feel' like I could sling a draw around the bend. Sounds crazy but it's true.  Is that more setting or more designer recognizing setting and routing appropriately?

Wide fairways comfort me.
A bunker behind a landing area that help to provide depth perception comfort me.  Same for one behind a green.
Obviously a great setting will comfort.

Michael,

I know exactly what you mean.  There are certain courses that just make you feel relaxed and at peace.

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 03:55:05 PM »
I guess it could be the designer not fighting what the routing of a hole on the land would naturally dictate.  What i mean is that the shape of the hole does not look like it is misfitting the contours/proportions of the ground or other natural features.   Not sure that makes any sense but anyway.

Michael Blake

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 03:56:07 PM »
Makes perfect sense.

Kevin Cahoon

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 04:11:42 PM »
A round I played at Prairie Dunes was very challenging yet quite comfortable at the same time. On the tee boxes, thanks to the design, you could visualize most of the challenge, but good or bad result the smile was never left my face.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 09:22:19 PM »
Ballyneal.  Very fair off the tee and challenging/different each go around.  Tough place to get your panties all bunched up.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back