News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Charlotte Country Club: a 1914 review of this Ross course
« on: January 13, 2010, 08:31:59 AM »
From the Charlotte Daily Observer:

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Cirba

Re: Charlotte Country Club: a 1914 review of this Ross course
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 08:40:02 AM »
Joe,

That's an awesome article and it's nice that it seems clear clut that Donald Ross "laid out" the course at Charlotte as the article tells us early on.

I am surprised that the article mentions that the course will open with "grass greens", knowing that they weren't able to be established at Pinehurst until 20 years down the road.

Does anyone know if the grass survived?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 08:59:05 AM »
Mike,
I thought the sand greens at Pinehurst were considered to be such good playing surfaces that grass wasn't seen as an improvement and the main cataylst for change was keeping up with the Joneses?
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Ed Oden

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 09:39:19 AM »
Joe, thanks for the article.  The hole descriptions are eerily similar to today.  Very interesting, however, that #7 was originally a par 4 and #8 a par 5.  The opposite is true today.  I guess the original 7th green and 8th tee were in different locations than the present versions.  Also, #16 is listed as a par 5.  But I believe there have been several iterations of 16-18 through the years.  Perhaps one of the CCC members will chime in.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 10:06:46 AM »
Mike,
I thought the sand greens at Pinehurst were considered to be such good playing surfaces that grass wasn't seen as an improvement and the main cataylst for change was keeping up with the Joneses?

Jim,

I'm hardly an expert on Pinehurst but I think they tried to experiment with different grass surfaces for a number of years, seeing them as superior even though they supposedly had pretty good sand greens.

Perhaps Richard Mandell or Brad Klein or someone more knowledgeable can weigh in here.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 10:36:29 AM »
Mike,
Me either, but there were good grass greens in Florida 35 years prior to the ones at Pinehurst, which makes me think that it was a matter of choice in keeping them (sounds like that choice was the resorts) and the necessity of stepping into the modern world that made them change.

...."(Pros) found grassgreens at Pinehurst. That means the beginning of the end of a real tradition in America. The sand greens of Pinehurst have grown to have the force of a proverb, and the famous North Carolina resort is the only major golfing center in the world where such greens prevail. But now, as a part of an experiment to change all this, grass has been sodded on the first three greens of the Number Two or championship course, and Greenkeeper Frank Maples foresees so much success for the trials that it will be possible to grass all greens on all four courses next season. For a couple of years or so there have been grass tees at Pinehurst and for a long time Donald Ross, golf architect and genius of Pinehurst golf for over thirty years, had encouraged the turf of the fairways to encroach on the greens, so to speak, and so reduce the extent of sand putting surface. Smudge pots like you use to keep frost from getting the fruit blooms, or burlap-and pineneedle blankets, are being considered for use in nursing the grass through the little cold snap they call winter down there. One of the pleasant things about grass greens is that they will hold approach shots and pitches more readily than sand. So in keeping with the general theory of golf, viz., that we poor duffers are never to get a break, new rolls and contours have been built to offset the advantages of the grass and keep these first three holes as hard as ever".
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:40:00 AM by Jim_Kennedy »

Mike Cirba

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 10:48:46 AM »
Jim,

Interesting...thanks for sharing.

I'm going to have to dig back into Richard Mandell's book to see if I perhaps read things incorrectly.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 10:49:59 AM »
Ron Whitten's review of Charlotte's remodel:

http://www.golfdigest.com/rankings/courses/new/2010/01/bestnewremodel

Thread about RTJ/DW with comments about Charlotte from John Shimp:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42709.0/

JohnV

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 05:58:47 PM »
For those who would like to see the course and some cute young ladies, the US Women's Amateur will be held there August 9-15.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back