News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Golf Club Atlas' Death Has Been Greatly Exagerated
« on: January 12, 2010, 11:58:56 AM »
We are so quick to complain about the good old days and the demise of this web-site.  At this moment, a quick review of the first page of threads suggests THESE are the good old days.  

I genuinely appreciate the time, insight and thoughtfulness of so many of you.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jason Topp

Re: Golf Club Atlas' Death Has Been Greatly Exagerated
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 12:40:12 PM »
Well said.  A lot of new and old blood have provided some interesting discussions lately.

JC Jones

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 12:42:31 PM »
We are so quick to complain about the good old days and the demise of this web-site.  At this moment, a quick review of the first page of threads suggests THESE are the good old days.  

Mike

I couldn't agree more.  A while ago I went back and read some old threads from the "early days,"  there was plenty of OT, plenty of bickering and plenty of good architecture discussion.  There was even a fantasy draft of sorts.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »
I'd still like to see Tom Paul, Wayne Morrison, Rich Goodale, Bob Huntley, David Moriarity...........who else?........back in the Treehouse.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 12:49:11 PM »

Mike,

One of the difficult things for the new guys is there is no written set of rules for posting so mistakes are made. After a recent conversation with Ran, I see the DG differently. It is a monster and for those that are at clubs that do not have high golf IQs it can be addicting,educational and entertaining.

Anthony

JESII

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 12:56:09 PM »

Mike,

One of the difficult things for the new guys is there is no written set of rules for posting so mistakes are made. After a recent conversation with Ran, I see the DG differently. It is a monster and for those that are at clubs that do not have high golf IQs it can be addicting,educational and entertaining.

Anthony

Extreme Makeover - GCA Edition?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 02:18:02 PM »

Mike

I couldn't agree more.  A while ago I went back and read some old threads from the "early days,"  there was plenty of OT, plenty of bickering and plenty of good architecture discussion.  There was even a fantasy draft of sorts.

Agreed.  IN GB we recently had the retirement of a Radio DJ who was an amazing national success for nearly 40 years.  Daily he would entertain us and encorage us to chuckle at how awful the TV programs the night before had been.  In a rare serious moment he confessed that "I should know, I've made a carear out of saying the TV's not as good as it used to be."

As long as we've got 'Bogey' and Joe Hancock and Bill McBride and....     I'm still here.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 03:07:29 PM »
I think the only rule of posting is;  think before you hit send.

Most of us are not eloquent enough to be able to express exactly what we mean in the written form and sadly this
can cause offense when none was really intended.

Also "I hate Big Macs" doesn't mean I'm anti American, think Merion's boundaries are illegal/fabricated or demand an
invite to CP or PV.
Cave Nil Vino

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 04:26:30 PM »
well said Bogey
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 06:21:16 PM »
Tony, not to hijack my own thread, but do you get "Risk it for a biscuit" on the radio?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 06:25:59 PM »
Tony, not to hijack my own thread, but do you get "Risk it for a biscuit" on the radio?

Mike

No  'fraid not.  I'm off to bed now to worry about "risk it for a biscuit" ;D
Let's make GCA grate again!

ChipOat

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 10:49:37 PM »
Ran will tell you that only real golf architecture junkies even knew about GCA in the very earliest days.

Other than that briefest of periods (which didn't include me), I think a line from the elderly comedienne, Moms Mabley, is appropriate:  "Everybody's talkin' 'bout the good old days.  I was there - where was they?!?"

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 10:18:58 AM »
Quite an interesting thread.  If not for those who came before, we would not be here.  We are indebted to the founders and preservers of Golf Club Atlas.  We are the guardians of the forum and can always do better, but should not feel chagrined that we have done something less than our predecessors.  New members of the community with less awareness will learn from those with patience and desire.  If wizened members of the forum elect condescension coupled with a fervor to return to halcyon days, too bad for them.  If they instead choose to share what they learned from the past days of the forum, benefit we all will.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

JC Jones

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 10:22:49 AM »

As long as we've got 'Bogey' and Joe Hancock and Bill McBride and....     I'm still here.

Wow, low standards.... ;)
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 10:56:42 AM »
Nice Ron!

I like it!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Steve Lang

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 01:34:39 PM »
 8)  Mike,

I couldn't agree more.

I'd simply like to see a "Member Since xxxx" instead of the numbers of posts by folks' names...

While the musings of some early posters may be missed.. i suspect its really the other way around for those who have left and will lead to either some self correction over time or they'll just fade away in the archives.. almost like the ODG gca's... "what were they really thinking or doing and what proof is there? ...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 10:46:14 PM »
Bill noted some of the really great guys we miss. I hope certain select recent posters who seem to have personal agendas become boored and move on. This site is a joy and over time the cream will again rise to the top.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 10:10:33 AM »

Wow, low standards.... ;)

Low standards? More like no standards whatsoever.....

:)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Richard Choi

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 12:56:23 PM »
I visit a lot Forums on-line and without a doubt there is no place that has better ratio of quality content per post than this site. Not even close.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 04:01:36 PM »
I have only been here for about five years, but enjoy it as much today as ever.
The range of topics is stimuating the input from the "experts" a constant treat and learning experience.
I love the fact that we all have a place to discuss our opinions..we cant all like the same places and everymans view on a piece of property is worth reading about.

Some of us like trees , to some it apperas they do not belong on a golf course...it is all great reading.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back