News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hamilton

Introduction
« on: January 11, 2010, 10:48:55 PM »
Hi,

Wanted to thank Ran for the great site and adding me to the Discussion Group.  I'm 46, have two boys (9/7) and started golfing addictively (even if poorly) about 11 years ago.  After my second son was born I pretty much quit for 4-5 years, but began dragging them out 2-3 years ago and like a chain smoker became instantly addicted again.

From almost the first I really loved being on a golf course almost as much as golfing ... but have always been disappointed at the mostly low level of similar interest from even avid golfers.  I found this site about 2 years ago but only browsed through the Courses by Country and never paid attention to the Discussion Group until about 2 months ago  :-[.  I'm amazed at what a great forum this is and glad to see I'm not alone.

I haven't had a chance to play a lot of often mentioned great courses, but am lucky to be able to get to Royal New Kent in about 50 minutes so play it and Stonehouse relatively often.  After getting to NC and playing Tot Hill in Sep and TR in Nov and Dec, I'm definitely a fan of Strantz.

Hope to keep learning and maybe add to the conversation now and then...thanks for all the great insight!

Mike

Chip Gaskins

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 11:01:36 PM »
Mike-

Welcome.  Sounds like you are in southern Virginia?

Don't let those Philly guys push you around! ;D

Chip

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 11:10:11 PM »
Welcome Mike,

I wish I lived less than an hour from RNK...very jealous  ;D

Great to have another Strantz fan aboard!

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 11:25:04 PM »
Mike--

If you like Strantz, I think you'd really like Lester George's Ballyhack Golf Club, which just opened last summer outside of Roanoke.  There'll be a GCA outing there in April that you might look into, if possible.

Welcome to the site.

--Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 11:45:13 PM »
Welcome Mike!

I have a good friend in Virginia Beach who is on here. I'm on the far side in Oregon...but closer to Bandon!

Cheers, Jeff
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 06:44:31 AM »
Good to have you on-board.

I have some friends in your neck of the woods.

Maybe next time I swing up there we can link up?

Looking forward to seeing your postings on the DG.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

CJ Carder

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 09:34:09 AM »
Welcome Mike!  I'm up in Williamsburg, so feel free to look me up anytime you head up this way!

George Pazin

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 11:03:50 AM »
Welcome, don't be shy about sharing your opinions.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 07:40:30 PM »
Welcome, don't be shy about sharing your opinions.

Yes! Don't be confusing anyone with facts. There is no place for that here!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 09:54:43 PM »
Thanks all for the welcome and offers to link up!

Chip…I live outside of Richmond.  Used to go up to Philly for work so have been wary of Philly guys for many years!

Tim:  VSGA magazine had a nice article on Ballyhack a few months ago…so will look into the event…it sounds great.  I assume you are  in Lexington?  I get up near there and take my kids on a hike right off US 60 about once a year. 

Jeff:  I’m guessing you are more than 50 minutes from Bandon.  Went out there in ’99 and spent a week with my wife enjoying the beautiful coast and mountains after reading about Bandon Dunes in Golf Digest.  Actually made reservations on their first day open to the public and played in early August.  We had just learned we were expecting our first so I tell him his first round of golf was at Bandon!  With 4 courses now I can’t wait to make a return trip.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back