News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Mike Sweeney,
There's a muni course in Po'keepsie, NY (McCann) that charges fees based on city, county, in state but out of county, and out of state resident status. It seems to work there, and it might be a good policy at CC, seeing as how they've had the outside play problem since they opened.

Gift or not, a new and improved CC will generate more play.  Sooner than later someone will look at the tee sheet, notice that they are 'too booked up', and decide to start hiking the fees to lower the pressure. That process only stops when the number of players starts to taper and the only players who will suffer from this are those on the low end.

edit: MikeC - that may be your intent but I think you've got blinders on to the reality. What kind of guarantees are you going to get from the city and from Billy Casper Golf? If they won't give you a guarantee do you still proceed? If they guarantee no increase for  a year or two, but increase fees as they see fit on their newly restovated course after, do you proceed? How do you propose to make it up to the residents if the city starts hiking the fees dramatically in a year or two? How do you answer the numbers from the other thread?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 11:46:22 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mike Cirba

Mike Sweeney,
There's a muni course in Po'keepsie, NY (McCann) that charges fees based on city, county, in state but out of county, and out of state resident status. It seems to work there, and it might be a good policy at CC, seeing as how they've had the outside play problem since they opened.

Gift or not, a new and improved CC will generate more play.  Sooner than later someone will look at the tee sheet, notice that they are 'too booked up', and decide to start hiking the fees to lower the pressure. That process only stops when the number of players starts to taper and the only players who will suffer from this are those on the low end.

edit: MikeC - that may be your intent but I think you've got blinders on to the reality. What kind of guarantees are you going to get from the city and from Billy Casper Golf? If they won't give you a guarantee do you still proceed? If they guarantee no increase for one, two, three years, but can then increase as the y see fit on their newly restovated course, do you proceed?  

Jim,

I don't believe the city would ever stand for turning the course into a high-end "TPC at Cobb's Creek" and taking it away from it's primary intent as a value for the citizens of the city.

Neither would we.

Jim_Kennedy

Mike,
I did make an edit while you were typing a reply, but in the same vein.

I'm not talking about a TPC. Right now a senior can play for 15, it's 20 for the average Joe, and 25 on the weekend. Are you going to go ahead if the new fees raise rates by 5 per round, or 10, or 20? What's your cut-off number....and what makes you think that the regular customers of CC even want a restovated course that they are going to pay more to play?   

Mike Cirba

Mike,
I did make an edit while you were typing a reply, but in the same vein.

I'm not talking about a TPC. Right now a senior can play for 15, it's 20 for the average Joe, and 25 on the weekend. Are you going to go ahead if the new fees raise rates by 5 per round, or 10, or 20? What's your cut-off number....and what makes you think that the regular customers of CC even want a restovated course that they are going to pay more to play?  

Jim,

We aren't doing this in a vacuum....the public golf associations that are based at Cobb's Creek have been part of our discussion and in fact have been pushing for this well before any of us were involved.

I'm not sure why you insist that fees will be raised for city residents and local golfers?

Our intent is to restore the routing (which is mostly removing trees) and improve infrastructure hrough a one-time capital expenditure that we'd try to get from private gifts.

The city would have to approve any increases in fees and it's not in their interest to price the course out of the range of their intended customers, either financially or politically.

To answer your hypothetical, we would want to keep prices the same, with a small surcharge for out of city residents, and an aggressive structure for surrounding counties.

But I don't make those decisions...I can only tell you our intent, and what we've been told by the city.

p.s. - Does the course look to be designed by the architecturally deficient?

It looks like it was designed by a bunch of amateurs to me!   ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 12:25:35 PM by Mike Cirba »

Tom MacWood

Mike
Thanks for the photo tour of present day CC and the quotes about the opening of Merion, et al, but you still have not answered my questions, and they were very simple yes or no questions.

Is it true the courses at Merion and Seaview were rebunkered shortly after they were opened for play? Doesn't that say something about a dissatisfaction with the original bunkering?

If Wilson's name was not associated with the course (and the bunkering) would you be recommending those anachronistic bunkers be restored?

Tom MacWood

Mike C,

Feel free to NOT respond to every poke by Tom Mac too.  8)

Cheers.

Of course that is his prerogative, but if he deems my fairly simple questions too tough I'm not sure that bodes well for when the real tough questions are being asked by those deciding the fate of the project?

Mike Cirba

Mike
Thanks for the photo tour of present day CC and the quotes about the opening of Merion, et al, but you still have not answered my questions, and they were very simple yes or no questions.

Is it true the courses at Merion and Seaview were rebunkered shortly after they were opened for play? Doesn't that say something about a dissatisfaction with the original bunkering?

If Wilson's name was not associated with the course (and the bunkering) would you be recommending those anachronistic bunkers be restored?
Tom,

Should I answer your questions before or after I stop beating my wife?   ;)  ;D

Seriously, your questions are based on faulty premises and gross inaccuracies so it’s difficult to know exactly how to respond.  

Merion, Cobb’s Creek, and Seaview were all designed purposefully with limited bunkering at opening as you know full well based on the numerous quotes and other information that Joe Bausch has shared here.   Your efforts to turn that purposeful design decision…to observe play thoughtfully for some time and then deciding where to place bunkers as opposed to just following some rote formula, into a deficiency…a “dissatisfaction”, as you put it, is an incorrect interpretation and a historically inaccurate analysis on your part.

You also know that in the case of Merion and Cobb’s Creek, the amount of new players that the creation of each brought into the game was also a major reason not to unduly penalize the newbies as each course was already deemed to have more than enough natural hazards to be sufficient challenge.   In the case of Seaview, the design intent specifically was to create an enjoyable winter vacation course, contrasted with the difficult rigors of an NGLA or a Pine Valley, but you know that, as well from information I’ve previously shared.

or this one...

I’m not sure why you’re trying to turn that into something negative, Tom?

As far as what you term, “anachronistic bunkers” you’re claiming I’m clamoring be restored, can you tell me which bunkers at Cobb’s Creek you’re referring to?

Today’s course has more bunkering than was there originally, or in the 1928 photos.   The only original bunker that has been completely lost is the large fronting bunker that was built into the upslope on the original 6th hole (today’s 16th) short of the green.   One was built in the left-hand corner in its place and it’s not a very good one, unfortunately.   The rear right bunker on five is still there in the form of a grass bunker.  

All of the other original bunkers are there, and today’s course has new ones built to the left of the 1st green, short of today’s 7th green, to the left of today’s 8th green, short left of today’s 12th, right of today’s 13th, and left of today’s 14th.    All of the rest of the original bunkers are in place and all of them are in the pictures.

Perhaps you can use my on the ground pictures as examples and show us which ones you think are anachronistic and how you are defining that term?

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 02:52:01 PM by Mike Cirba »

Tom MacWood

Tom,

Should I answer your questions before or after I stop beating my wife?   ;)  ;D

Seriously, your questions are based on faulty premises and gross inaccuracies so it’s difficult to know exactly how to respond.  

Merion, Cobb’s Creek, and Seaview were all designed purposefully with limited bunkering at opening as you know full well based on the numerous quotes and other information that Joe Bausch has shared here.   Your efforts to turn that purposeful design decision…to observe play thoughtfully for some time and then deciding where to place bunkers as opposed to just following some rote formula, into a deficiency…a “dissatisfaction”, as you put it, is an incorrect interpretation and a historically inaccurate analysis on your part.

That is an interesting analogy, comparing the re-bunkering of a golf course to spousal abuse. I don't think re-bunkering a golf course is a crime, but with your avoidance of answering perhaps you do.

Here is an old photo Merion (that you recently posted) shortly after the course opened. I assume you would include these mounds and bunkers among the limited bunkers you spoke of. Did these mounds and bunkers survive...weren't these two holes re-bunkered shortly after the course opened?

Jim_Kennedy

Mike,

I'm not insisting that the fees will be raised, the prior CC thread suggested they would have to be and it seemed to leave the issue hanging, but it's one that should be of the first priority when trying to do what you want at a municipal golf course.

I like the look of the course, I also like the look of the course just the way it is. I would probably like the look of the course after some of the changes you propose, but I would like the look of the courses less and less as the fees went higher and higher.

Again, even if you are able to keep the local rate low for a while I believe that raising the profile of the golf course will bring creeping gentrification, and before you know it the bottom tier of green fee payers will be spending more and have a harder and harder time getting on.

But that's just my opinion. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'd be interested in seeing the green fee schedule 5 years after your (potential) plan was implemented.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:04:21 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

mike_malone

Jim,

Does it make sense to have one course in the city that is a gem ? I think so. Only Cobbs has the bones to be a very good course at this time. To me it is a matter of civic pride. If we let everything run down so that $20 is all we can charge then it makes the city look like crap. If you invest some to bring more challenge to the course and maintain it so that the specialness can shine through then I believe it makes everyone feel better. Why did the Phillies winning the World Series make the city feel better ? I don't know but it did. A restored Cobbs should provide that good feeling to all of the golfers around the city." We have a special place to play golf".

There are plenty of courses in the city to play on the cheap, in fact, Karakung which is right next store is a blast for the cost.
AKA Mayday

Mike Cirba

Tom MacWood,

Now who is avoiding who's questions??  ;)

I ask you to show me which Cobb's Creek bunkers you called anachronistic and insist I want to restore and you flip up a picture of Merion where you know the caption that you neglected to reproduce said;

The ninth teeing ground at the new Merion course, showing experimental mounds adjacent to the putting-green.

Now, c'mon Tom, don't be disengenuous with us.   :-\

Jeez Tom...there aren't that many bunkers at Cobb's Creek and I've already told you which two have been lost to time.   I think I've got a picture up there of about all of them, including the originals.

I'm very happy to discuss any and all of the architecture of Cobb's with you if we can have a serious and sincere discussion, but you seem to keep changing the question to something trying to make Hugh Wilson look architecturally incompetent, which seems like a hobby you've spent way too much energy on.

Please just point out for us the amateurish features you're railing about in the ground level photos.   C'mon, I'm sure it's not that hard to play "Spot the Amateur Architects".  ;)  ;D

Jim Kennedy,

I'm not sure where you're seeing us talk about raising fees on that prior thread?   Not me, anyways....

On page 33 of the 35 page thread I laid out the following;

In that regard, let me try to clarify a few things;

•   We would not be seeking monies from the city of Philadelphia, the state of Pennsylvania, or the US Government as they have higher priorities, especially these days.   The only caveat there might be in the form of any targeted WPA-like labor that might be a part of some future stimulus package, but that is a remote possibility.

•   We do not envision some “Bethpage” or “Harding Park” style project that aims to create a modern championship courses for professionals.   Instead, we aim to make Cobb’s Creek exactly what its founders envisioned and what it was…a superb public golf course of exceptional character designed to bring new golfers into the game and challenge all levels of golfers while remaining playable by all.

•   We would not suggest that the course should close for some period of time and then re-open as this loss of revenue stream would likely be untenable to both the city and the management company.   Instead, we believe that the vast majority of the work could be done while keeping the course open for play as much of it is simply resurrecting avenues of play that have been abandoned and left to overgrow.

•   We would attempt to raise funds to cover one time restoration costs through a variety of possible private donors who we would ask to contribute to a 5013C organization we hope to organize for the purpose.

•   We would begin with professional architectural advice and assistance to determine feasibility, review options, estimate costs, and determine scope.   If that looks promising, we would present our findings and proposals to the management company and city officials.

•   We would not be asking the management company to contribute any additional capital expenditures beyond what they are already contracted with the city for.   While we don’t know the exact terms of that deal, our assumption is that projects like irrigation, flood control, rebuilding tees, bunkers, etc., and/or re-sodding, etc., are covered under normal capitalized maintenance and probably need to happen whether or not the original routing is restored and therefore would not be necessarily targeted for funding unless specifically asked, or as part of a mutually agreed-upon joint strategy.

Could you point out where we talked about raising prices, Jim?   I certainly don't want to leave the impression that we support that except as a surcharge for non-resident play as necessary.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 08:27:43 PM by Mike Cirba »

archie_struthers

::) ??? :D

If I hit the lottery this week I'll sping for the redo   ....wish me luck  !

My good friend Bill Papa ( pga) has loads of great Cobbs stories as he grew up in the area playe dwith all the locals ..his dad was quite  a playeralso  and I'm going to show him these pictures at breakfast tomorrow.....I think we need a GCA meeting   with golf at the shore this spring and turn all these old pros  and some famous caddies loose at the dinner to tell stories ...they are so good....AC Country Club did this at the Fraser Tournament qualifying dinner for years

it was awesome  ...!

Jim_Kennedy

Mike M,
They'll get that 'good feeling'.......... as they ride by on their way to play one of the lesser courses because they can no longer afford to play CC.  :'( 

What could the ordinary citizen be thinking! Heaven forbid they should be provided a gem of an old course at an inexpensive rate.

Mike C,
A fellow named Mark something, early on in thread. You wanted to get together with him because he and some others? had been talking to the city about the same general idea.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 08:02:09 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Mike Cirba

Mike,
They'll get that 'good feeling'.......... as they ride by on their way to play one of the lesser courses because they can no longer afford to play CC.  :'(  

What could the ordinary citizen be thinking! Heaven forbid they should be provided a gem of an old course at an inexpensive rate.

Jim,

Honestly...I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that prices would have to be raised for the local player.   Could you please point out the source of that impression on the other thread?

I'd hate to have people think that's what we're planning...a bunch of us have spent way too much time and energy invested in this effort to let it go unchallenged.

Thanks...that is not what we want to do.

Joe Bausch

Jim I think is 'quoting' something from the previous GM at Cobb's, Mark Susko, where they had a plan for a renovation funded by increased fees.  As you've stated repeatedly Mike, that is not our plan.  Here is Mark's post from the 1st page of the previous CC thread:

Mike and Wayne,

We proposed to the city a few years ago what you mentioned above.  A full scale restoration to the original layout with expanded tees, new bunkers, clubhouse expansion and renovation and most importantly a state of the art irrigation system.  This would be paid for by a surcharge that would be added to the greens fees.  I think that it worked out to city residents paying a peak fee of $40 and non city residents (which make up over 80% of my play) would pay a peak fee of $65.  We presented this with plans for every step of the process and even had funding in place.  All the city had to do was sign off on it, of course they didn't citing several reasons that to me made no sense. 

Also, to answer Joe's question about the location of today's 8th green.  You can see in the pictures from the 1930's that the creek really didn't come into play of the original 13th hole.  It is just off tee (you can still see evidence of an old bridge behind the present 6th green that was used to get to the tee) but unless you topped it right in front of you there was no need to worry about it.  I don't think we'll ever know why the creek wasn't utilized for this hole.  Hopefully we can turn up some picture from the 20's but all of my efforts have failed to this point.

Mark
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Cirba

Jim,

I see what you're referring to.

As Joe mentioned, that proposal from a few years back was from prior course management intending to create a self-funding, self-sustaining model that incorporated quite a bit more than restoring the original routing.   

Our plan is more modest, and reliant on outside funding.

Hope that helps...

Tom MacWood

The ninth teeing ground at the new Merion course, showing experimental mounds adjacent to the putting-green.

Now, c'mon Tom, don't be disengenuous with us.   :-\

I think you are having hard time coming to terms with the fact Wilson's bunkering left a lot to be desired early on. Obviously the experimental mounding at #9 was unsatisfactory and the green was re-bunkered, the same is true with 10th hole as you can see in this photo from the 1916 Championship.

Based on this old aerial I would say the great majority of bunkers at CC look amateurish. One man's anachronistic is another man's amateurish.

Mike Cirba

Tom,

No need to post the 10,000 foot aerial and make us scramble for our reading glasses.   ;)  

I've provided you with ground level photos of nearly every bunker in that aerial.   Please point out which amateurish ones you'd like to see removed and why.   It shouldn't be this hard as there's only 24 of them today, up from about 20 on the 1928 course.  Also, in pointing at Wilson, I have to wonder if you've been keeping up with your reading here; didn't you note where William Flynn constructed the greens and bunkers at Cobb's Creek, although I'm sure you're just as happy to paint him with the same tarnished brush.   ::)  :)

If you're trying to make a point that these early American architects experimented a whole lot with different design features between 1905 to about WWI, as seen in Travis and Macdonald's works in the pics I also posted, then we certainly can have an interesting discussion.  

I bet if both of us look a little we can find great early examples of anachronistic features by Ross, Fownes, Emmett, and even Dr. Mackenzie.   I think Crump/Colt's "pimple" in the middle of the 18th green at PVGC might fit this category, as well, don't you?

If your point is that the original 15th green at Cobb's Creek fits into that mode, then I'm in complete agreement.    It looks to be both garish as well as fun, with a clear "green in a pit" the surface clearly delineated into distinct halves.    Given Walter Travis's involvement at Cobb's Creek, do you think he might have been involved in the concept and creation of this green because it is clearly a close cousin of other's he built?   Have you seen his "LCC" bunkeriing at Lakewood?

Personally, I'd love to see the original "tie-fighter" green at Cobb's Creek restored, much like I would the 12th at Garden City, because neither hole is as interesting or remarkable today.

However, I think if I probably have about a .02% chance of getting the average modern golfer to agree with me on either count, and I think that's been the problem at GCGC as well.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 09:58:47 AM by Mike Cirba »

TEPaul

Mike:

By the way, speaking of those "amateurish" bunkers of Wilson and Flynn, this remark was told to me some years ago by Richie Valentine (son of long time Merion greenkeeper Joe Valentine who was originally brought up to speed at Merion by Flynn). He said his father told him that Flynn once gleefully expostulated to Joe Valentine----"You know, Giessppe, nobody can build bunkers like you EYE-talian guys can build bunkers!"
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 10:43:45 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

Here's another great old story (I may've posted on here at some point in the past) out of Richie Valentine's constant and streaming joke and story playbook.

Richie had an old EYE-talian guy on his crew who he claimed was unquestionably the best scyther he had ever seen in his life. I think his name was Giessppe too. He spent his career at Merion scything the surrounds and jaggedy eyebrows of the grass lines on top of the massive sand upswept bunkers of Merion (the famous "White Faces of Merion").

Eventually mechanized equipment came in and Giessppe was trying out a lawn-mower; he got his hand caught in it and it chopped off some of his fingers. They rushed him to the hospital. His wife was the first to show up and they told her they would have to amputate his hand. Giessppe started screaming and wailing that if they amputated his hand they may as well just kill him right there because he didn't want to live anymore if he couldn't scythe. So his wife runs out and gets Richie Valentine and rushes him to the hospital. Giessppe pleads with Richie to convince the doctors not to amputate his hand and somehow Richie does convince the doctors.

Nevertheless, his injury pretty much drove Giessppe into retirement but when the 1971 US Open preparation began Richie went to see Giessppe and asked him if he would like to come back and do some limited scything for the Open. Giessppe said that was the most wonderful thing he'd heard and so he did. After the first week Richie walked up to Giessppe and gave him his pay check. Giessppe asked Richie what that was for. Richie said: "It's your paycheck for all the scything you've done." Giessppe said: "I didn't expect to get paid and I don't want to be paid; I'm doing the scything because it makes me want to be alive."

Mike Cirba

Tom,

That's a great, heartwarming story.   

Did I ever mention to you that Joe Valentine actually designed a golf course out in Berks County called Exeter GC in the 1950s?   He did it at the request of his friend Henry Poe, who was pro at the Reading CC at the time, who saw a friend of his...a retired musician/schoolteacher by the name of Jack Chiarelli...struggling mightily in trying to put together a new public golf course just right up the street from Reading.   Poe evidently thought that Chiarelli would benefit from Valentine's knowledge, as Chiarelli was not actually a golfer himself.

Well, Valentine came up and designed the first nine, and then consulted again on a second nine later in the decade, and word has it that from an agronomic standpoint, that was one of the very best conditioned courses in the region in its prime.

So much so, that in the early 1960s one George Fazio was being asked by some friends to design a golf course and Fazio, who had never designed a course prior and who knew nothing at all about agronomics, went to visit Mr. Chiarelli for a couple of days to try and absorb everything Valentine had taught him.    Sure enough, Ciarelli convinced Fazio that he should go ahead and do it.

Years later, Mr. Ciarelli told me disappointedly that despite arguably launching George Fazio's design career, he never received as much as a thank you for his help.

Sadly, the Exeter GC was later coopted into housing, and although a bastardized nine-holes remains on the site, very little of Mr. Valentine's only design effort still exists today.

archie_struthers

8) ;D :D

TEP thats just a great story about Giuseppe, really great!

I often felt that caddying at Pine Valley was akin to stealing !

Mike Cirba

A few of us did a walkthrough at Cobb's Creek yesterday with an "expert" professional dignitary to look at the property and any restoration ideas with critical, experienced eyes.

It was very, very interesting to hear the things that a professional sees and focuses on that we don't.  

I don't want to say much at this juncture and frankly won't, but one interesting comment and one unexpected observation really stuck out.

Speaking about a few of the greens, our guest said "they look like they were built with a shovel."    Now, I'm not sure if that's a good thiing or not, but I think he was speaking about how low-profile they are to their surrounds, but was afraid to ask!  ;)

The other thing was our guest thought the pic of the old "amateurish" "Tie-Fighter" green (seen above) were ultra-cool, unique, bold (especially in comparison to its present more conventional and somewhat neutered state) and something that should be on anyone's short list of restoration features, even though it was generally agreed that's a long shot.

Go figure!  ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 11:19:43 AM by Mike Cirba »

Mike Cirba

Mike Sweeney,

Joe Bausch and I did get to meet your friend this morning much too briefly about 8:30 on the first tee at Cobb's.

Fortunately, that did give him enough time to repeat his contention in person that we are nuts, all in good fun, of course, but said with some conviction, nonetheless.   ;)

Fortunately, that gave Hoosier Joe the opportunity to say, "typical Philadelphia "NO can do" philosophy", all in good spirits, of course, but said with some conviction, nonetheless.  ;)

Thankfully, due to the fact that there were about 15 of them and only 2 of us, and they were letting us play through, no scuffle ensued and the authorities did not have to get involved.   ;D

I'm hopeful we'll all have future opportunities to discuss things further, especially since the original lost 6th hole at Cobb's was recently compared to the 18th hole at Riviera.   Of course, we don't mind that George Thomas took that rose and transplanted it on the west coast.  ;)

“I always considered Hugh Wilson of Merion, Pennsylvania as one of the best of our golf architects, professional or amateur.  He taught me many things at Merion and the Philadelphia Municipal (Cobb’s Creek) and when I was building my first California courses, he kindly advised me by letter when I wrote him concerning them.” - George C. Thomas
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 06:46:54 PM by Mike Cirba »

Mike Cirba

Thankfully, due to the fact that there were about 15 of them and only 2 of us, and they were letting us play through, no scuffle ensued and the authorities did not have to get involved.   ;D

Actually, now that I think about it, they may well have abducted Kyle Harris who was originally supposed to have joined us.   :o

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back