News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

The easiest holes in championsip golf.
« on: January 10, 2010, 10:21:55 AM »

Are there holes that are just too easy for majors? How about this year.....Pebble Beach No 7......TOC No 18?

Discuss......

Adrian_Stiff

Re: The easiest holes in championsip golf.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 10:48:32 AM »
Anthony I'd say no. Those are easyish holes, but they can still claim bogeys. Easy holes are birdie holes and championship golf needs them. The 7th at PB coud yield 1-6 and the 18th at TOC still gives plenty of 2s and 3 putt 5s. It causes excitement afterall.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 11:00:32 AM »
Not those two...you can always find an edgy pin location to make putting a nightmare.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ian Dalzell

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 11:13:18 AM »
Lots of holes at The Old Course, especially holes 9-10 and 18.

Ian

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 11:31:45 AM »
Anthony I'd say no. Those are easyish holes, but they can still claim bogeys. Easy holes are birdie holes and championship golf needs them. The 7th at PB coud yield 1-6 and the 18th at TOC still gives plenty of 2s and 3 putt 5s. It causes excitement afterall.

Persoally I love those two holes, but i have herd then criticized repeatedly.

Anthony

Ron Csigo

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 12:00:52 PM »
The first 2-3 holes at Royal Troon are relatively easy holes for the pros because they usually play downwind.  Also, the 8th can be an easy hole as well but like the 7th at Pebble, it can yield anything from a 1 to the dreaded "other".
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 12:13:03 PM »

Are there holes that are just too easy for majors? How about this year.....Pebble Beach No 7......TOC No 18?

Discuss......

Are you looking for the easiest holes in major championship golf?

or holes that are too easy for majors? ??? (I'd say there's no such thing)

......Given that the easiest hole at ANGC is probably the best hole there (#13)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 08:01:34 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Philippe Binette

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 12:17:46 PM »
Pebble Beach 7th: remember final round 1992, 1 of the last 30 players hit the green.

In majors: I doubt there is an easy hole...
maybe the 9th at TOC, 3.88 average in the 2000 open
shortish par 5 would do (although they are getting rare in majors)

J_ Crisham

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 12:20:21 PM »
The 7th is one of the more frightening shots with any wind and a firm green,gnarly rough -US Open conditions . #2 at PB is probably the easiest hole if played as a par 5.    Just my opinion but I'm sure there are those that have seen/played it more than the 4-5 times I haveand would have a greater knowledge of prevailing winds and conditions.                                                    Jack
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:22:14 PM by Jack Crisham »

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 12:54:33 PM »

Persoally I love those two holes, but i have herd then criticized repeatedly.

Anthony

Well, I picked #7 at Pebble pretty early in the current fantasy course draft . . . .

john_stiles

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 01:08:04 PM »
Easy holes as in relation to par ?   Is this about par 5s for championship golf ?

Pebble Beach no. 2  was quite 'easy'  as a par 5, especially since the Pro V, for the pros.   The crowd that worries about score were so worried they changed it to a par 4.  Not sure of the tournament yardage as a par 4.

It is listed as a par 5,  502 yards, for 'tourist' play.

As to the Masters,  all time scoring records,  the  13th and 15th average  4.80.  And only the par 5s ( 2, 8 , 13,  and 15)  average below par for all time records.   In one year (1991),  the 15th averaged  4.5.

Interestingly,    in the Masters scoring,  the most rounds under par by the field for the tournament and for each day was set in 1991 and 1992 when arguably every course was struggling to keep up with the  advent of the Pro V in professional golf.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 01:18:27 PM »
Calling #7 easy at Pebble Beach is far from accurate.

Calling any hole easy in Major Championship golf implies some amount of experience, in those events, which is doubtful, in this analysis.

Every hole is easy with fine shots. Everyday, Everywhere.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 01:26:08 PM »
With an absence of wind, the elite pros probably find most holes "easy" -- assuming they're swinging well. Every hole is a matter of getting the yardage right and keeping your shot on line. Pros are pretty good at that.

Toss wind into the equation, and everything changes. Pebble Beach #7 looked brutal on Sunday at the 1992 U.S. Open.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 03:54:24 PM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

JSlonis

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 02:28:47 PM »
Easy holes as in relation to par ?   Is this about par 5s for championship golf ?

Pebble Beach no. 2  was quite 'easy'  as a par 5, especially since the Pro V, for the pros.   The crowd that worries about score were so worried they changed it to a par 4.  Not sure of the tournament yardage as a par 4.

It is listed as a par 5,  502 yards, for 'tourist' play.

As to the Masters,  all time scoring records,  the  13th and 15th average  4.80.  And only the par 5s ( 2, 8 , 13,  and 15)  average below par for all time records.   In one year (1991),  the 15th averaged  4.5.

Interestingly,    in the Masters scoring,  the most rounds under par by the field for the tournament and for each day was set in 1991 and 1992 when arguably every course was struggling to keep up with the  advent of the Pro V in professional golf.

John,

The Pro V1 was not around in 1991-1992. I don't think that ball hit the Tour until late 2000 or early 2001.

john_stiles

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 02:34:38 PM »
Jamie,

So true,  Pro V was 2000 !   Obviously, a big ah dodo.  

A decade slippage,   obvious anti ball,  pro rollback slant on my part.

Scoring data is okay though.

John
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 02:37:17 PM by john_stiles »

archie_struthers

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 02:37:33 PM »
 :D ;D :D

Already posted but isn't #2 the easiest hole at Pebble....seems like it has to be???

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 02:49:28 PM »

......Given that the easiest hole at ANGC is probably the best hole there (#15)

Sorry to follow a tangent here, but I always hear that #13 is a superior par 5 to #15.

Have you played the course? Seen it in person? Regardless, I'd love to hear your rationale if you don't mind sharing.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

JESII

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 02:50:49 PM »
Archie,

I thought #4 was pretty much impossible to make worse than a par on, while #2 was a 500 yard par 4...how are we measuring Easy?

Sean Eidson

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 04:05:17 PM »
I don't know if it's the "easiest," but I thought 18 at Bethpage played most predictably this year, especially in the final round.  And with Lucas Glover hitting 6 iron, 9 iron, and then with 2 putts from 3 feet to win, it sure looked pretty easy.

Scott Stearns

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 04:24:13 PM »

Fourth Round of last yr's US Open not a good measurement of Bethpage #18-Tee was moved up to the front of the white tees for that round.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 04:48:57 PM »
Archie,

I thought #4 was pretty much impossible to make worse than a par on, while #2 was a 500 yard par 4...how are we measuring Easy?

#4 can be diabolical with a back right pin.  I remember once hitting what I thought would be a stiff PW.  Got up there no ball, there is no room in that back corner for a miss right.

It's a perfect short par 4; you feel bad about not making a birdie, so you take too many chances that lead to doubles.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 07:46:09 PM »

Again...I love PB 7, but it is heavily critisized at the majors. Without wind it does lay down. I have posted in the past my favorite back to back holes are PB 7 and 8. Ian Woosnan"s comment about it being a practice hole comes to mind.

Anthony

jeffwarne

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 08:08:01 PM »

......Given that the easiest hole at ANGC is probably the best hole there (#15)

Sorry to follow a tangent here, but I always hear that #13 is a superior par 5 to #15.

Have you played the course? Seen it in person? Regardless, I'd love to hear your rationale if you don't mind sharing.

Kyle,
Good catch.
I already edited it.
I meant 13, which is a great natural hole, but I typoed  ;D15 as I was wondering which hole was actually easier.
13 was the first hole on my "jump the fence loop" of 13, 14 11 and 12-growing up at adjacent Augusta CC.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Will MacEwen

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2010, 08:10:47 PM »
I don't know if it's the "easiest," but I thought 18 at Bethpage played most predictably this year, especially in the final round.  And with Lucas Glover hitting 6 iron, 9 iron, and then with 2 putts from 3 feet to win, it sure looked pretty easy.

Sean I was thinking of the same hole - it seemed like an easy par, tough to bogey or birdie, huge dullsville.

I don't mind a hole being easy as long as it has some strategic element and players can pick up or lose strokes on the field.  #18 was not that. 

jeffwarne

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2010, 11:12:51 PM »

Sean I was thinking of the same hole - it seemed like an easy par, tough to bogey or birdie, huge dullsville.

I don't mind a hole being easy as long as it has some strategic element and players can pick up or lose strokes on the field.  #18 was not that. 

Will,
Let's not mistake a misguided set-up play by the USGA on #18 at bethpage in the final round with #18 at bethpage being too easy.
Maybe not a great hole, but certainly not a bad hole until the final day

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back