News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Potash

Florida Golf Cont. (Different Question)
« on: January 06, 2010, 11:22:19 AM »
Are the any courses in county club communities (those where you would live as well) that have merit in the palm beach, west palm beach, ft. lauderdale, miami etc. area.

I am not expecting an overwhelming positive response here but which if any would be best solely based on the course(s) available?

Thanks,

Brian

Lenny Polakoff

Re: Florida Golf Cont. (Different Question)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 11:53:45 AM »
Brian - not sure where you are going with this but here are a few.  These courses all sit w/in the confines of a housing community.  However courses such as Seminole do not automatically grant an invitation for membership simply by owning a home or real estate w/in the community. 

Courses such as Old Marsh are true country club communities where as Seminole and Pine Tree would not be.  Not sure about JH or Loblolly.

Old Marsh
Seminole
Jupiter Hills
Loblolly Pines
Pine Tree

JC Jones

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 11:55:29 AM »
Keep in mind Brian that private clubs and residential communities (even though they may be private) are 2 COMPLETELY different things. ;) ;D

Also, I dont think there is any residential component to Seminole or Pine Tree.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Lenny Polakoff

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 11:58:13 AM »
JC -  unless I am mistaken - the entrance to Seminole is within the property of Seminole Landings.

The entrance to Pine Tree is also w/in a housing community

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure this is accurate

JC Jones

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 11:59:33 AM »
JC -  unless I am mistaken - the entrance to Seminole is within the property of Seminole Landings.

I've not been to either so you are probably right.  My opinion came from pictures where I've not seen any houses around the course.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Lenny Polakoff

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 12:08:32 PM »
The point being that great courses such as Seminole and Pine Tree all sit w/in a housing communites even though they are COMPLETELY seperate entaties. 

Whereas courses such as Boca Rio, High Ridge and Banyan have no housing component to them whatsoever.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 12:33:59 PM »

I've not been to either so you are probably right.  My opinion came from pictures where I've not seen any houses around the course.

Owning a home at PT has NOTHING to do with being a member. In fact, there are not any homes even breaking up the golf course, nor any streets that must be crossed to get to another hole.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 12:39:59 PM »
Mirasol has two courses - a Fazio and a Hills - haven't played them but the only complaint I've heard is that they are very difficult for the average player.  I recently played Broken Sound - nothing special.  I also played Ibis in WPB - they have 3 Nicklaus courses but Jack only did one of them; his course, the Legend, is not bad, while the Tradition course is okay since they redid the greens and put more movement in them - other course is nothing special.

Brian Potash

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 12:41:30 PM »
I guess I should have made my querstion more clear.  Obviously if I bought the closest home to Seminole I could find (and having been fortunate enough to play there, I know there are numerous homes right down the street), there is NO way they are accepting me as a member.

What I meant is where could I buy a home where that would then enable me to become a member on the country club course(s) assuming I paid my equity requirement and wasn't a complete degenerate.

Lenny Polakoff

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 01:29:07 PM »
Brian - With that being said, I think Old Marsh would be at the top of my list

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 01:55:57 PM »
I personally think that Old Marsh and The Bear's Club are the best Residential/Golf communities in the West Palm Area.
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jud_T

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 01:58:54 PM »
Anthony,

What about Medalist?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John_Cullum

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 02:05:56 PM »
Medalist has openings for property owners. I do not believe Jupiter Hills is automatic, but I would bet money you would get on the waiting list and get in within a few years. Note that neither of these is in PB County
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Eric Smith

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 02:17:45 PM »
Dye Preserve?  http://www.thedyepreserve.com/

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 02:21:53 PM by Eric Smith »

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 02:30:43 PM »
Eric: I haven't played Dye Preserve since the redo but I've heard really good things.  It is not, however, a housing community golf course and when it was Cypress Llinks most of the members had places on the water in Jupiter.

Eric Smith

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 02:52:21 PM »
Jerry,

I haven't been there and trust you know the place having played there.  It seems weird to me that those houses dotted along the perimeter are not affiliated with the golf club.  I mean, to live in that house 100 feet from the clubhouse and yet be an outsider.

Possibly club cottages?  Granted they'd be really big club cottages, with swimming pools to boot!

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 03:01:53 PM »
Eric: The houses are really far from the course and most are sheltered by trees - they have nothing to do with the course and the people buy there because of the big lots.  There are also cattle and horse farms bordering the course like along number 6.

Eric Smith

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 03:04:55 PM »
Interesting, thanks Jerry.  I would imagine the place is very very nice.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 03:57:30 PM »
Medalist has openings for property owners. I do not believe Jupiter Hills is automatic, but I would bet money you would get on the waiting list and get in within a few years. Note that neither of these is in PB County

I BELEIVE that Jupitor Hills is a jewish club with a VERY small, strict membership. Steve Erhbar (GCS) does an INCREDIBLE job! The Medalist has opening, but I hear that's because GNorman keeps tinkering with the course and that it's incredibly difficult. The Dye Preserve doesnt have housing associated with the course.
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Robert Emmons

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 04:13:06 PM »
Brian,

What are you looking for?? I have lived at one of the clubs mentioned for 9 years in Palm Beach County and would help if I new what you are looking for,,,Rob

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 04:23:15 PM »
Brian:

I have never seen it (I will next week) but I believe Indian Creek was built as a golf course and housing development.  The golf is the interior of the island, and the homes are around the perimeter, facing in on golf and out to the water.  I believe some pretty high-profile Miami residents live on the course.  But, it's not an active development ... and it would cost some serious cash to live there.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 04:38:15 PM »
Tom,

Bring a warm coat, down to 31 degrees tonight in PB county and cold thru the weekend. high today 55...Rob

Brian Potash

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 04:39:17 PM »
ok, this is embarrasing, but let me restate the question again.

I have a wife and 2 very young kids, so I would likely need to buy a house at a place with the whole works (tennis, other young kids in the area, etc.)  All I really care about is the golf.  So are any of the "full service" type country club communities have golf course(s) and facilities that stand above the rest of these types of communities.

I get the feeling that to access one of the better courses would likely require an additional membership at a golf only place.

Brian

JC Jones

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 04:39:52 PM »
Tom,

Bring a warm coat, down to 31 degrees tonight in PB county and cold thru the weekend. high today 55...Rob

This is ridiculous.  The weather is not as advertised.  How dare they make us wear long pants when we play golf in January. >:(

SL_Solow

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 04:59:59 PM »
A lot depends on what your view is on acceptable golf.  For example, there are a number of well designed Joe Lee courses which will never make anyone's top 100 list but are better than average in Florida.  You should also be very careful to investigate the finances of any club in Florida as the final shake out at residential clubs is far from over.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back