News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Thornton

For me, it's Crystal Downs.  The pictures and write-ups have really captured my imagination, and I've loved every MacKenzie course I've seen.  A close second would be Old Town Club...I was so captivated by the greens at Prairie Dunes and would love to see more of Maxwell's work.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:02:23 PM by Jim Thornton »

Jimmy Chandler

1. Why eliminate ANGC and CP from consideration?

2. As someone who has only played a couple of the word's greatest courses, I have a lot to choose from: Pine Valley, Pebble, Cypress Point (even though you eliminated it from contention), NGLA, Shinnecock, Sand Hills, all the great courses outside the US.  For me, I want a course that's fun, challenging, plays firm and fast and is in beautiful surrounds.  As much out of romanticism as anything else, I'd love to see and play Royal Dornoch, which I first read about (and then dreamed about) as teen in SI: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1066296/index.htm.

Mac Plumart

Okay...I've got a truly unbelievable year lined up for golf.  So, I am not going to included any of those courses on this list...rather I will name five that have simply grabbed me for one reason or another and I will try to not name the usual suspects...

Musselburgh...the history seems unbelievable there.
The Machrie...it looks like an 1800/1900's turn of the century get away and golf course...neat!!
Askernish...it simply looks like a golf course should (at least to me)
Lawsonia... Langford & Moreau are supposed to be unheralded geniuses and I would love to see this course.
The Country Club...again history gets me here, Ouimet's round is groundbreaking in golf history...I really want to play it.

Like I said, 2010 should be an amazing year for me golf wise and I am already lining up 2011 to perhaps be better...but these are not on my play list as of yet.

Fun thread!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ed Oden

Jim, at the top of my list would be Eastward Ho!  Few courses look as appealing based on the pictures I've seen.  And, unlike most of the more highly ranked courses that I have not yet played, I have no reasonable expectation that I will ever see it for myself.

Ed

Michael Dugger

Pine Valley
Royal County Down
NGLA
Barnbougle x 2
Sebonack..............for starters

My "it's probably more realistic" list includes

Ballyneal
Sand Hills (you can play it once, right???)
Pasatiempo
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Wade Whitehead

Pine Valley, hands down.

WW

Chip Gaskins

Myopia Hunt Club
Camargo
Valley Club
Boston Golf Club

Ryan Admussen

Canada - St. Georges, Sagebrush

US - Pine Valley, Sand Hills

A long visit to G.B&I

George Freeman

For me it has to be National Golf Links.  The course looks absolutely captivating and when added with the history, the location, clubhouse, etc etc, it seems like an ultimate dream day.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Ken Fry

It's shaping up to be a good 2010 for courses yet played but really want to see:

Early summer:  Prairie Dunes, with a possible side trip to Sand Hills.  Enough said.

I'm working on getting to Lawsonia, possibly around the PGA in August.  Some guy who designs courses for a living told me whatever it takes, I've GOT to get there.  I like his courses and respect his opinion so off we go.

Regional hits:  Forest Dunes and Doak's Black Forest

Making a non-playing visit to Sugarloaf Mountain next month.

Either April or July will make a playing visit to Ballyhack.  Made a non-playing visit last summer.  Can't wait to tee it up there!

Ken

JC Jones

For me it has to be National Golf Links.  The course looks absolutely captivating and when added with the history, the location, clubhouse, etc etc, it seems like an ultimate dream day.

Are you aware of the fact that the 18th is severely up-hill?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ash Towe

For me its  Shinnecock.  I have never changed from this and the reason was it being described as the Muirfield of the US.

CJ Carder

I'll have to go with Oakmont.  I greatly admire a club whose founder and whose membership want the course to be difficult.  Yes it's masochistic, but for me, the attraction to golf has always been measuring myself against myself and challenging myself to constantly get better and so the ideal behind Oakmont's difficulty resonates with me.  Not to mention I think it's a beautiful course, even moreso now with the tree clearing.

Pine Valley, Shinnecock, and (I'm sure I'll catch SOME flack for this at least in the kiss-@$$ department) Merion would be next on my list in no particular order.

After seeing Ballyneal last summer, I'm fascinated with what Sand Hills has to offer, but I'm a big fan of the game's history and that's why it's not farther up my list.

Doug Ralston

Hello again. Holidays have been tough and very hectic.

Having never played a 'Doak', I would dream of:

Cape Kidnappers [may as well be on the moon]

Ballyneal

And while I am in Colorado, my love for mountain courses [not just courses in the mountains] would be tittilated with Lakota Canyon.

But the course I heard about when I 1st picked up a club many years ago in Knoxville, that was so exclusive that it put out false directions to discourage attempts, and only recently allowed female tournaments and amatuer events that might include black golfers: The Honors Course in Ootlewah, TN [sp?]. I am, in fact, often surprised that when Dye gets mentioned here, this course still rarely is discussed.

Unfortunately, all such speculations must for me be put in context of a hardy work schedule and declining function due to arthritis and nueropathy [and cash, of course]. But they are fun to contemplate.

"I'm on a Doak muddaf***a"  ;)

Doug

Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Kirk Gill

From a realistic standpoint, I'm hoping to play Common Ground sometime this summer, and Four Mile Ranch.

From an  unrealistic standpoint, It's always been Pine Valley and Merion, and perhaps a little NGLA.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tom_Doak

I will check off two more from my list in the next seven days ... Gavea (Brazil) and Indian Creek (Miami).

Banff and Jasper are 1-2 on my list now that I've played El Saler, but it will be a few months before I think about the Canadian Rockies.

Thomas Patterson

Having just moved to Charleston, SC, I think the course I most would like play is Yeamans Hall Club.  I'm pretty fascinated by it and now living close by makes me want to play it even more!  

I've also got a list a mile long of clubs in the 4 hour radius range that I'm dying to play.  I've never lived on the East coast before (grew up in Arkansas > Colorado) and am excited about the ample courses available to study!  I'm hoping for a great year of golf in 2010.

PThomas

ditto

it seems like every picture of it is so awesome......
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Adam Clayman

Easy...TOC
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jud_T

I'm playing some more exclusive, probably higher ranked names in all likelihood this year, but I'd have to say Old Mac...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ben Sims

This is one of those questions that should require so much thought.  I mean, I haven't seen St. Andrews, Cypress Point, Merion, Pine Valley, Royal Dornoch, Sand Hills, Ballybunion, Augusta National, SFGC, and so many more that I really need to experience.

But the question begins and ends at National Golf Links of America.  For so many reasons including 1) arguably the best collection of Macdonald templates on earth and 2) it's rightful place among the "fathers" of American golf.  It remains as a staunch guard of what is great about golf architecture.

Plus I just got my copy of The Evangelist and last spring I got to play the 10 hole loop at Old Mac.  Those two things are reason enough to be a CB Macdonald fan.

Steve Salmen

National
Seminole
Fishers Island
Royal County Down
Highlands Links
Sand Hills

Ryan Admussen

I will check off two more from my list in the next seven days ... Gavea (Brazil) and Indian Creek (Miami).

Banff and Jasper are 1-2 on my list now that I've played El Saler, but it will be a few months before I think about the Canadian Rockies.

Have you played in Alberta before? Curious to see if you'll prefer Banff or Jasper. Have a trip planned to Jasper in June can't wait!

George Freeman

For me it has to be National Golf Links.  The course looks absolutely captivating and when added with the history, the location, clubhouse, etc etc, it seems like an ultimate dream day.

Are you aware of the fact that the 18th is severely up-hill?

I wasn't, but it matters to me not   :-*
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Kevin Cahoon

Chicago Golf has been at the top of my list since the 2005 Walker Cup. This was further solidified with the recent thread.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back