News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Re: Now: Merion virtually bunkerless THREE YEARS after opening!?
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 08:00:37 AM »
And this article from the June 24, 1915 edition of the Evening Ledger also suggests it was the East course used for the tourney based upon the yardage given.

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2009, 08:59:32 AM »
Here is the article by Wayne Morrison and Steve Ryan on "The Origins of Merion's Wicker Baskets"

THE ORIGIN OF MERION’SWICKERBASKET
by Steve Ryan
and Wayne S. Morrison
The exact origin of the wicker baskets atop the standards used at
Merion East remain a mystery. It is unlikely the baskets were used
during the first few years the East Course was opened for play.
Newspaper and magazine articles at the time discussed the
uniqueness of the course yet failed to mention the extraordinary
basket tops we immediately associate with Merion Golf Club
today. A consideration of early accounts of Merion East indicates
the use of baskets began in 1916. Historical records reveal that
the earliest evidence of "cane and basket hole markers" was in the
1850's where "a resilient bamboo cane was surmounted with a
basket top."
Hugh Wilson went abroad to study the golf courses of Great
Britain in 1912 prior to the opening of the East Course. We
know from newspaper accounts that Wilson visited Formby,
Hoylake, Troon, Prestwick, Muirfield, North Berwick, St.
Andrews and the Heathland courses around London, of which
Sunningdale was surely one of the courses visited.

Tony Nickson, an English golf historian from Royal Lytham and

The use of baskets on golf standards was not widely adopted, though Stoke Poges in Buckinghamshire,
not far from Sunningdale and Golf de St. Germain northwest of Paris utilized the basket standards. Golf
standards topped with flags were far more universally adopted, especially after the standardization of the
hole size in 1894 and the introduction of metal cups used to hold the stick. Flags atop the staffs indicate
wind direction and intensity and so was likely appreciated more by golfers nearly everywhere. An 1897

patent was issued for a design of flags upon golf staffs.
In 1916 a series of three advertisements appeared in The American Golfer for the Flynn and Peters
Company, “Golf Architects and Grass Experts” based in Ardmore, Pennsylvania. Did Hugh Wilson
influence William Flynn's development of the basket standards? The strict amateur rules at the time
would have prevented Hugh Wilson from capitalizing on any work in golf. Perhaps Flynn and Peters
commercialized the use of the basket standards for which Flynn was issued a patent based upon Hugh
Wilson's tour of British golf courses.

St. Annes Golf Club visited Merion in April 1989 and presented
the Club with a copy of a painting by Michael Brown entitled First International Match Scotland v.
England, Prestwick Golf Club, 1903.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 09:06:24 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2009, 09:00:58 AM »
The March, September and October editions of
The American Golfer had advertisements offering
“Champion Golf Standards” which were
pins with baskets such as those found at Merion.
The advertisement mentions that these pins
had been adopted by some of the leading courses
in the country. The company sold the standards
in seven foot and ten foot lengths.
The basket golf standard at Merion Golf Club is
widely known and figures prominently in the
club logo. The baskets were used, among elsewhere
in the United States, at Huntingdon
Valley Country Club, Brookline Square Golf
Club, the Old White at the Greenbrier, San
Francisco Golf Club and for a time in the 1920's
at Winged Foot West (A.W. Tillinghast may
have influenced the last two decisions).
The Flynn standard differs in two ways from the poles we see today at
the East Course of Merion. The pole did not taper at the bottom on
the Flynn patent unlike the poles in use today. It must have made it
far more difficult to chip-in with the wider pole. The baskets used
today are weaved all the way down to the metal cone attached to the
pole. Flynn’s baskets had a narrow band of open weave at the bottom.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2009, 09:01:54 AM »
This design may have made the baskets more susceptible
to breakage. Today the closed weave
goes down into the metal cone and, according to
head professional Scott Nye, seems to be a more
sturdy design.
Why are the outward nine hole standards dark
red and the inward nine hole standards orange?
Tradition has it that the baskets on the outward
holes are painted red and the inward nine baskets
are painted orange as
are the forward and
back tees. Long time
superintendent, Richie
Valentine, passed on a
bit of wicker basket
trivia to the current
director of golf grounds
at Merion, Matt Shaffer. When Matt Shaffer
questioned Richie Valentine about the colors
used on the famous Merion baskets, Richie
answered with a question of his own.
Valentine asked Shaffer what colors the standards reminded Matt of.
Thinking about it for a minute, Richie helped Matt out by declaring
that the red is the color of Toro mowers and the orange the color of
Jacobsen mowers. In the parsimonious Quaker way, extra touch-up
paint in the maintenance shed was used to paint the baskets. Perhaps
they ran out of Toro paint
and switched to Jacobsen.
Or perhaps a different
color for each nine was by
design. In any case, the
colors remain one of many
cherished traditions at
Merion Golf Club.
Prestwick, caddy holding basket
standard during Vardon match
Detail from a painting by Michael
Brown
American Golfer Advertisement, March 1916
William Flynn's
Patent Application
Filed on August 7,1915
and Patented on
February 29, 1916
San Francisco Golf Club, 1927
Greenbrier, 1

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2009, 09:21:38 AM »
Here is the entire article with pictures

Joe Bausch

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2009, 06:48:26 PM »
This below in case you were wondering how Merion was bunkered for the 1916 US Am (where a wee Bobby Jones really became noticed on a national stage):

Tom MacWood

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2010, 10:06:38 AM »
It is interesting both Merion courses had few bunkers, and Wilson's next project Seaview had very few bunkers too, thus Ross was hired shortly after the course opened to give it thorough bunkering.

Was Wilson averse to bunkers and based on that aversion is it possible the re-bunkering of Merion-East was largely the work of Flynn?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2010, 11:19:06 AM »
Some quotes from various writers that should give some perspective:

Tilly wrote in the American Cricketer:

"...Merion is at present in a very early stage; consequently we must regard it as the foundation from which there will gradually rise the structure of the builder's plans.   To attempt an analysis of some of the holes today would be manifestly unfair, fo rthey are not nearly so advanced as others, and yet some day the very holes which now are rather uninteresting and featurelss may be among the best of all."

..."Even after the course is thoroughly trapped it will be difficult to figure the part figures at more than 70, and yet few players will approach this score."

..."As I have said already, comparatively few traps have been placed.   The Committee wisely desieres this to be the work of time.   The Mid-surrey scheme of grass hollows and mounts has been introduced in some places, although not to a considerable degree.   Every hazard is more or less experimental, and when the real digging is started, the pits and mounds will be sufficiently terrifying, I am told."

Alec Findlay wrote the following for a local paper:

"There are a few nice water hazards, and also a few sand ones, but the placing of the mental hazards, etc., will be left until spring.    One can by that time find places wherein shots will lie, and place hazards accordingly."

And this from Far and Sure upon opening;

"It is too early to attempt an analytical criticism of the various holes for many of them are but rough drafts of the problems, conceived by the construction committee, headed by Mr. Hugh I. Wilson.   Mr. Wilson visited many prominent British courses last summer, searching for ideas, many of which have been used."

Now concerning Cobb's Creek, which was being built starting in 1914 or early 1915, I believe:

This from Verdant Greene of the Philly Inquirer, shortly before Cobb's Creek opened:

"...but with good weather, May 1 will see little more to be done except in the way of putting in traps and bunkers, a job likely to require two or three seasons.   As there are an abundance of natural hazards such as trees, water and boulders no one need worry over the lack of artificial embellishment thus far."

..."However, it is probably that some of the trees and stones will be eliminated to compensate for the pits and bunkers added.   Bothersome as some of them will prove, it was best that they should remain indefinitely, inasmuch as several months experience may be necessary to demonstrate beyond dispute just what hazards should be added and where."

Another article a month before CC opened said:

"Most of the trapping and pitting will go over til next year, as those in charge do not think it advisable to make the course too stiff a proposition in its early stages.  The rolling country which makes up the course and the fact that the creek guards quite a number of greens are sufficient at present to make the course difficult.   As hundreds of golfers who are just learning the game, not to mention other hundreds who will learn the game at Cobb's Creek will make up the bulk of the players, a too stiff course would hardly be suitable."

And one more:

"Very little bunkering has been done yet, and the course will not be made harder for a year or so, for those who laid it out realize that it will be played over by a host of persons who have never played golf before, and no effort will be made to make it too difficult for them until they have reached the point where their golf will admit of stiffer bunkering."

The same thing was true at Seaview.

I believe some thought the idea was to wait to decide where hazards were best placed after seeing a course in action.  And with Merion and CC, both after opening the amount of play they received was very high (Cobb's almost completely with beginners, but if you believe the first article above, Merion had plenty of newbies as well) and the natural hazards present made them plenty hard for the majority of the players.  And maybe this played a role in Merion appearing to be slow to add more bunkers.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2010, 12:52:08 PM »
There are lots of references in the early literature about golf architecture to the idea of taking one's time about adding bunkers to a course.  As I mentioned above, this was a more practical approach in the days before irrigation systems and subsurface drainage and, indeed, heavy construction equipment; nowadays you would be tearing up the course a lot more to add a bunker in the middle of a fairway.

JESII

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2010, 12:57:28 PM »
Tom,

Would also say that you have more knowledge of just where golf balls are likely to end up than they were 100 years ago? If so, the benefit of waiting to build bunkers is lost, correct?

BCrosby

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2010, 01:19:29 PM »
I think delaying bunkering is a strange idea.

In any era, you know how far good players hit it. You know 98% of golfers will slice. You know balls roll downhill. And so forth. In short, there is nothing that a modern day Doak or Young knows that Hugh Wilson didn't know before one of their courses opened for play.  

My guess is that the delay was really about being sure drainage schemes were working. But that is not what they said in the newspapers at the time. Maybe the real issue was money, but they were too embarrassed to say so. I don't know. But the explanations given in Joe's clippings don't make a lot of sense.

Bob
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 02:01:32 PM by BCrosby »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2010, 09:20:46 AM »
Joe
Would it possible for you to add the dates to those numerous quotes?

Mark McKeever

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2010, 10:59:29 AM »
Great information Joe!  I always learn something new when I read the articles and information that you post up.

(somewhat contrary to your organic chemistry lectures) ;)

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Joe Bausch

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2010, 06:51:21 PM »
Joe
Would it possible for you to add the dates to those numerous quotes?

TMac,

All Merion quotes are late 1912/early 1913 and the Cobb's Creek quotes are all late 1915 to early 1916.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2010, 01:43:18 AM »
Guess that answers the question about how George Sayers got his pro job there.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Tom MacWood

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2010, 10:10:41 AM »
This below in case you were wondering how Merion was bunkered for the 1916 US Am (where a wee Bobby Jones really became noticed on a national stage):

Does anyone know which of these bunkers were original and which were added in anticipation of the US Am?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2010, 10:17:18 AM »

Does anyone know which of these bunkers were original and which were added in anticipation of the US Am?

I do not have that data Tom.

EDIT:  Tom, I think there are a handful of articles out there that might indicate some of the original bunkers, those were added for the 1916 Amateur, and those that were modified.  That will take some scrounging around to try to put that together.  And with the Iggles/Cowpokes game in about 4h, I don't think I'll be doing that today.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 12:29:15 PM by Joe Bausch »

ChipOat

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2010, 04:18:32 PM »
Not that I want to start another nuclear war, BUT:

I had never before noticed the three "Bottle Hole" bunkers that sat on the far side of Ardmore Avenue on the original #12.  Being an admirer of #8 at National Golf Links (i.e. "Bottle"), I wonder if Hugh Wilson first got the idea for those from Macdonald (i.e. were they "original") or, did he (also?) visit their course of origin in the U.K. on his trip "across the Pond"?  Or was it both?

What I REALLY care about is, how did the hole play?  One supposes those bunkers were in play off the tee or why else would they have been placed there?  With the small ball and no watering system, the original #12 must have been a really interesting tee shot for the decent player.

Not that it needs them, but having (reversed) bunkers like that on the current #15 might be interesting.

However, if that was a really good idea, one supposes that Flynn and Wilson would have attended to that in 1923.  You know, with the bed sheets, and all...........

Tom MacWood

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2010, 06:20:22 AM »
Chip
Here is an early article (1/1913) with a picture of the 12th, unfortunately the picture is not a good one and its difficult to tell anything.

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/AmericanGolfer/1913/ag93m.pdf

Mike Cirba

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2010, 05:15:21 PM »
ChipOat/Tom MacWood,

I'm not sure if these are some of the articles that Joe was referring to that describe some of the changes done for the 1916 US Amateur.   Unfortunately, I don't have dates for either except I believe they are both from roughly summer 1916.

As regards the 12th hole and the cross-features and how the hole played back then, this is the closest I have to a description (drawing by Flynn), which was from the preview of the 1916 US Amateur.   I've included a second drawing of the 1st hole because it has the "Key" to the features.   Apparently those were sand covered mounds, which makes me wonder if they got that idea from some of the convex bunkers at Garden City, perhaps?

Hope this helps! 

Joe Bausch

Re: Now: Merion virtually bunkerless THREE YEARS after opening!? New
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2010, 05:30:04 PM »
Mike, thanks for jogging my memory with the William H. Evans article.  It is from April 23, 1916 and here is the ENTIRE very informative article about the changes that were made:

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 06:50:40 PM by Joe Bausch »

Mike Cirba

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2010, 05:44:31 PM »
Joe,

Thanks for sharing that article.   I must have gotten the abridged version!   :-\ ;)

I'm going to throw this out there with some fear and trepidation but I think this July 1915 article you found stating that Merion at that juncture has "less traps and bunkers than are usually found on a short nine-hole course" puts a completely different context and meaning around articles of the time (such as the one I posted above) stating things like, "Before anything was done to the course originally Mr. Wilson visited every golf course of note not only in Great Britain, but in this country as well.."
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 09:06:28 PM by Mike Cirba »

Chris Cupit

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2010, 07:16:35 PM »
I have a dumb question.  Back in the day when they referred to "traps and bunkers" were they making any sort of distinction between the two or just using the terms interchangebly?  I've always assumed the latter but I thought I'd ask.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2010, 08:35:34 PM »
I have a dumb question.  Back in the day when they referred to "traps and bunkers" were they making any sort of distinction between the two or just using the terms interchangebly?  I've always assumed the latter but I thought I'd ask.

Chris,

That's a great question and I've often wondered the same thing.

As best as I can guess, a bunker could have been both a sand bunker or a grass hollow, or even a grassy ridge or protrusion.   I've never seen a trap refer to anything but a sand-filled pit, however.   

I think in those very early days of creating man-made features, particularly on inland courses, the idea was that a variety of experimental shapes and uses was preferred, thus you had "sand mounds partly covered with grass", "sand beds", and "sand traps", sometimes all on a single hole as in the example above.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2010, 12:13:15 AM »
Joe,

It seems from the article you posted that the impetus to add significant bunkering to the East course at Merion was the decision to award the US Amateur to the club.   With many of the the very best players in the country coming to town, it was decided to stiffen the challenge.

The Merion East course opened in September 1912, it was now July 1915, and the course still had less bunkers than a short nine hole course because of concern that it would be too difficult for the regular club players otherwise.   There also seemed to be a prevailing thinking at the time that one needed to study play for awhile before determining the best locations for bunker placement.

One needs to remember that this was prior to the invention of the sand wedge, and also during the time of hickory shafts.

Similar decisons to withhold bunkering were made at Cobb's Creek for the exact same reasons; too many new players on the course and the fear of making it too difficult for them as well as needing to study daily play for some period.

In the case of Cobb's, there was never a need to add significant bunkering because throughout its history, the sloping property and natural hazards presented enough of a challenge.   I believe at present there are a total of 22 bunkers on the course.  

Merion, given the desire to host tournaments at the highest levels of the game, went in a more traditional bunkering direction over the next 15 years of evolution.

I believe the author makes a very important point, however, when he states that even widely-experienced men like Travers and Benny Sayers claim Merion to be the equal of any of the championship links in the country, even in its unbunkered state.   One has to wonder why the assumption was it needed more bunkering to properly hold an amateur?  

I'm guessing that after the number of bunkers added by 1915 to Garden City, Myopia, NGLA, Ekwanok, possibly Oakmont, and other "championship" courses at that time, bunkers were "in vogue", and to some degree, probably the more the better, as the thought was that their presence accentuated accurate and thoughtful play.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 12:55:51 AM by Mike Cirba »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back