News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

The Most Influential Acre in Golf
« on: December 29, 2009, 08:08:22 PM »
Sometimes I ask people to name the most influential square inch in history.

Doesn't quite transfer to golf too well, but what is the most influential acre in golf?

In Golf Course Architecture?

What are some other influential acres in those categories?

JESII

Re: The Most Influential Acre in Golf
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 08:12:25 PM »
Golf - 12th green, 13th tee at Augusta?

GCA - Not a clue...must be something at TOC

Dean Stokes

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:17:44 PM »
The Men's bar at Seminole ;D Has to be.........
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

J_ Crisham

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 08:18:48 PM »
My guess is that the most influential acre in golf sits at the end of Magnolia Lane. Think of the past presidents of the USGA who are members in addition to a virtual who's who of corporate America. This is the place where the big decisions are made right under that big old oak tree out back!                 Jack

Steve Lang

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 08:31:03 PM »
 8)
How about the spot where all them hot-shot scottish gca's came immigrated into the USA to live and then became Americans

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 07:40:54 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 08:57:05 PM »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 09:10:22 PM »
Melvyn,

Please pardon my provincial ignorance - but where is that?

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 09:10:49 PM »
How big is Ran's residential property? ;D
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

JC Jones

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 09:13:01 PM »
The Men's bar at Seminole ;D Has to be.........

Does this mean there is a women's bar?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 09:18:27 PM »

Kyle

Sorry - Its Prestwick GC

Melvyn

Kyle Harris

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 09:21:02 PM »

Kyle

Sorry - Its Prestwick GC

Melvyn

No worries, I was going to guess Musselburgh but there is clearly a 1st and 10th tee (and respective 9th and 18th greens) in the picture.

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 09:22:07 PM »
right now... how about the house at the end of the isleworth range?

David Lott

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 09:26:30 PM »
It's a discontinuous acre. TOC--the land where the R&A sits. And USGA in Far Hills. Decisions made (or not made) in these places have been most influential overall.

If you want playing ground, the last four holes at Augusta, where live TV coverage of golf was pioneered.
David Lott

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 10:35:11 PM »
I'd nominate the pub at Pine Lakes GC in Myrtle Beach where the idea for what became Sports Illustrated was first discussed.  Perhaps it's not influential on golf specifically, but it is pretty influential in the realm of sports as a whole.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Philippe Binette

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 12:08:31 AM »
Isn't Merion built on only 1 acre ???

James Boon

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 04:39:16 AM »

Kyle

Sorry - Its Prestwick GC

Melvyn

No worries, I was going to guess Musselburgh but there is clearly a 1st and 10th tee (and respective 9th and 18th greens) in the picture.

Kyle,

There aren't two loops of nine at Prestwick. From top left to bottom right the picture shows... 1st tee, putting green, 18th green, 15th tee, 14th green.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 04:47:34 AM »

James

I noted that so e-mailed Kyle a map of the course

Melvyn

James Boon

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 04:57:34 AM »
Thanks Melvyn,

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 07:51:00 AM »
On the other hand, is it this place?

Oops wrong photo, although might get the old ones at The R&A to kick-start their planning for the future of the game, if not their own clubhouse as well.

Prestwick is the home of The Open and started the Majors. It was through Prestwick that we have Westward Ho (Royal North Devon), although it is through St Andrews that we have the standard 18 hole course.

Then we have Leith, Perth and a few more besides if we are talking about The Most Influential Acre in Golf

Melvyn
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 07:54:08 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 08:00:47 AM »
Doesn't quite transfer to golf too well, but what is the most influential acre in golf?
T.Woods estate  ;D

In Golf Course Architecture?

TOC

astavrides

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 08:22:04 AM »

Kyle

Sorry - Its Prestwick GC

Melvyn

how many broken windshields per year?  at a us public course there would be several per week.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2009, 08:48:53 AM »

how many broken windshields per year?  at a us public course there would be several per week.

The answer could be quite simple – very few because the way we play, the score is not the most important part of our game so we do not go off like a bull in a china shop, apparently like Jim, building up steam as he goes. I expect Jim will disagree and consider my answer to be along the lines of being 'Holier than thou'.

Prestwick is in Scotland and we are careful with our money. We just wait until an American visitor plays a round, his ball is certain to end up in the car park due to his determination to reduce his score. So that is when all of us put in a claim as we feel certain his ball ricocheted from one car to another. The old bull in the china shop scenario, works nearly every time. Best way to teach excited golfers, hit their pocket and soon they realise there is more to a game of golf than a low score based upon wham bam thank you Mam approach, as I am sure your wives will tell you. ;)

Melvyn

Jud_T

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 09:45:34 AM »
unfortunately one of them is the flowerbed behind 12 green at ANGC featured prominently on TV each spring for the past 54 years  :'(

p.s. side question-does HDTV further entrench the propensity for most memberships to want perfectly manicured, overwatered playing surfaces?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 09:49:42 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jed Peters

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2009, 09:47:52 AM »

The answer could be quite simple – very few because the way we play, the score is not the most important part of our game so we do not go off like a bull in a china shop, apparently like Jim, building up steam as he goes. I expect Jim will disagree and consider my answer to be along the lines of being 'Holier than thou'.

Melvyn

Wow, tell that to the (literally) hundreds of scotsmen I've played golf with over the years for fun and in tourneys.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2009, 10:20:44 AM »
Maniac Hill (driving range at Pinehurst)

11th green at Merion

1st tee & 18th green at The Old Course

The USGA's testing range

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back