News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick Wassel

Quick Report 10-14 days in Northern Scotland
« on: December 22, 2009, 08:44:13 AM »
Hallo,

I am new to this exclusive board. Hi everybody. My name is Patrick, 34 years, German, based in Hamburg, enthusiastic links player. Once a year I travel to the UK/IR with three friends of mine. And I would like to share some of the experieces with you (amateur level, no profund architecture background) because the conten of this board helped me a lot planning the trips. For further details I recommend:
www.uk-golfguide.com
www.top100golfcourses.co.uk
Or just contact me I am pleased to help.

To give you an idea about us:
- agend 34-40
- Hcp. 5-25
- budget orientated, means we try to spend less than 150€ a day. Means we try to avoid greenfees 100€+. Means we tend to stay in cottages, which cost less than 1000€/week, somtimes less than 500€, but always with 4 bedromms and lots of charm.
- "real" golfers, means why not play 36 holes, when possible?

2006: Northern Scotland, Mid of Sept.

---Golf:
We played nearly all the courses from Brora in the North to Strathlene in the south.

Highlights:
- Dornoch, I know, not surprising for most of you. Anyway we played the Struie in the morning (some very good holes, some lesser memorable) and the big one in the afternoon. One of the best golfing days in my life. A natural beauty set within natural greatness. No rush, not too many tourists, just plain perfection!
- Spey Bay, a pretty unknown Sayers layout, must have seen better times, but anyway, good architechture combined with the best greens of the trip and a more then peacefull surounding. For 25GBP, the bargain of the trip.
- Moray old, playing a pretty big amateur tournament, 36 holes new and old. Both courses very different, the new short and narrow, the old wide and majestic. Best of it, sitting outside the clubhouse with a pint in your hand, watching the fellows climbing up the 18th (great hole), with both courses, the beach and the lighthouse in the backdrop.

Letdown:
- Nain GC (not Dunbar), high expectations, few very good holes but overall not comparable to the othern playing in this league, like Dornoch or RCD.

---Accomondation:
We stayed in Nairn for 10 days and on the way back to Edinburgh for two nights in St. Andrews.
Nairn is a good base, if you are fine with 2h drives to the courses. For us it was perfect, because of all the emneties of a little village and the practice ground of Nairn GC only 5 min by food away.

---Conclusion:
Scotlands North might not be as wild and romantic as you may suppose, but for two weeks of golf on a huge variety of courses a bit away of the beaten track, it is just perfect. Once in my life I want to be in Dornoch in June, starting my third round after dinner at nine and finishing at midnight...

Upcomming:
- East Lothian (East of Edinburgh)
- Irland`s North East and West
- Wales

pat
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 08:59:41 AM by Patrick Wassel »

Melvyn Morrow

Re: Quick Report 10-14 days in Northern Scotland
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 08:49:27 AM »

Hi Patrick

Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy it and do not be slow in posting.

Melvyn

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 12:21:50 PM »
Patrick -

Welcome and thanks for the report.

At some point in the future, you & your group should think about returning to Dornoch and playing the nearby courses at Tain, Golspie & Brora. Combining those 3 courses with the 2 at Dornoch makes for a very pleasant week of golf.

DT

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 12:43:28 PM »
Patrick, When you are considering Wales do get in touch. The world is just realising what gems there are to be found there.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 01:16:32 PM »
Patrick,

welcome to the German contingency on this board, I believe we must be four now ;-)

Did you play Cullen? It's right next to Spey Bay and supposed to be very quirky. Anything to say about Strathpeffer?

If everything goes well I'll be in Scotland for a month or so, probably August 2010.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 05:12:36 PM »
Patrick -

Welcome and thanks for the report.

At some point in the future, you & your group should think about returning to Dornoch and playing the nearby courses at Tain, Golspie & Brora. Combining those 3 courses with the 2 at Dornoch makes for a very pleasant week of golf. 

DT

Patrick,
Welcome.
Those two guides you mentioned have been quite helpful to me in planning as well.
UKgolfguides map feature of courses within 30 miles is a useful way to find hidden couses near well known courses, and these courses often turn out to be trip favorites, and are often shorter and more user friendly, making for an enjoyable , second round of the day course.

David,
Hope you're doing well.
He mentions playing "all" (I'll interpret that to mean many) of  the courses in the area and specifically mentions Brora.
Seeing as how he was in Nairn 10 days and played 36 a day, I'd guess he played Tain and/or Golspie.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 06:12:30 AM »

Patrick,

Why did you not play Castle Stuart?

Anthony

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 06:24:48 AM »
It would be hard to play Castle Stuart if your greenfee limit is €100, as Patrick specified in his post.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 06:29:07 AM »
It would be hard to play Castle Stuart if your greenfee limit is €100, as Patrick specified in his post.
Or if you visited in 2006, as the post makes clear.  I'm not sure Anthony reads that well, sometimes.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 05:11:17 PM »
---Golf:
We played nearly all the courses from Brora in the North to Strathlene in the south.

G'day Patrick

Could you post a quick thought on all the courses you played in your trips ? I for one would be interested besides your highlights / letdowns

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 05:49:45 PM »

Patrick

Strathlene (Buckie) GC near Moray/Cullen is another course totally modified by Old Tom in the early 1890's.  I uncovered an article and with Niall’s help (being in the area for a while) have found more local articles including a map of the course a few years after the redesign by Old Tom Morris. The club have only recently been informed and were not aware of his major involvement.

Melvyn

Patrick Wassel

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 07:42:58 AM »
Hallo everybody,

sorry for not being in touch for a while, I have to set the "notity" button next time.

And thanks a lot for the warm welcome.

Il try to answer most of teh questions, with German straightness...:-):

@David: We played Tain and Brora, both fine, especially Brora very special, will never forget the last, par 3 uphill, what a hole for a finish.

@Mark: Wales is comming soon, in short, no really hidden gems, Conwy was much better than expected

@Ulli: Cullen was on the list, but skipped

@Anthony, Adam, right, I think we would play Castle Stuart next time

@Melvyn: Locals told me about Strathlene and that it is good, I can not say

@Kevin: The mentioned were high above ot below expectations. You know I do quite a lot of investigation before I book the courses, does not mean a course not mentioned is not worth mentioning, I just think they are kind of "standard" and easier to find. The other courses we played on this trip, as far as I can remember:
- Nairn Dunbar, good challenge, not scenic or special, despite the 18th green
- Tain, Brora, see above
- Boat of garden, as nice as you expect it
- Fortrose, quircky
- New Course, way home, deserves all the high ratings it gets

Happy to be here

pat

Tim Johnson

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 09:52:08 AM »
Pat
For your Ireland North and west trip, there is a website North west Coast links. As you mentioned a budget, that is probably the best run of golf when factoring dollar value. Courses like Carne, Enniscrone, Port Salon and even the Ballyliffins are somewhat good value. Carne is opening a new 9 in the dunes in the spring nd you should play it twice. The courses are pretty close with about 1-2.5 hours between them. For my money, not a bad course in any of them.

Tim

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back